News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Golden

I played such a bad golf course today in virtually every way it gave me the inspiration to start this thread.

The course, Aliso Viejo, in Orange County, is allegedly a Jack Nicklaus design-it has 3 nines (I played 2 of them, the Valley and Ridge), and, based on the 2 I played it has absolutely nothing going for it other than well conditioned greens with a number of false fronts.

So here are my reasons for placing Alisa Viejo on this list:
1.  Highly forgettable design with little or no shot values.  Only 6200 yards from the tips and plays even shorter.
2.  Carts only
3.  Greens fees ($90, although I paid $68 through an internet special) well in excess of what it's worth.
4.  Very, very slow pace of play (4 hours 45 minutes and we waited for 1 or 2 groups on virtually every hole after #2).
5.  Bad staff-a 'players assistant' drove up to us on about the 14th hole and told me to smile-I said, 'if I didn't have to wait 20 minutes to hit every shot maybe I would'-his response was 'you're lucky you're not on the Valley nine, it's slower than this', upon which I was ready to tear his eyes out but restrained myself and went 2 under for the last 6 holes, including 3 reasonable birdie putts I missed.
6.  Poorly maintained-the bunkers were pretty much mud from watering.

In spite of all of this I shot 75 including a really bad double bogie from 100 yards.

So guys, what are your nominations for this list? ;D

DTaylor18

Re:Courses to Avoid Like the Plague-your nominations, please
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2004, 07:22:23 PM »
I vote for Bensalem Country CLub in Pennsylvania.  Besides beeing a short course with way too many overgrown trees and terribly condition greens, we had a 7:35 tee time  that was delayed until 8:15.  i would hate to think when the afternoon tee times got out.  Not only was the course bad, but there was a 4 group backup on the third tee.  i will never go back there.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2004, 07:34:05 PM »
Shivas,

Your dream-like scenario redefines the word "bad". The course you describe falls into an entirely new category of golf courses to avoid that is simply much to awful to fit the critirea of this thread.

Tyler Kearns
« Last Edit: July 30, 2004, 07:34:50 PM by Tyler Kearns »

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2004, 07:55:18 PM »
The worst course I have played in the last few years has been the Valley course at Coyote Creek just south of San Jose.  This is a Jack Nicklaus remodel and its a blatant job of stealing money from a developer.  My guess is the developer (Castle & Cooke) wanted to build a new course, also demanded that Jack remodel the existing course.  

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2004, 09:14:52 PM »
"Let me tell you how bad this is -- if Halle Barry, Nicole Kidman and Salma Hayek called me and said it's the three of them in push up bras, tight shorts and halter tops and and I'm the 4th for an all day excursion with 18 at "the Hack" and 18 at Chicago Golf Club, I'd take a pass!"

Jeesus Christ, Shivas, your really are nuts! I'd fill in as the fourth for golf with those three in a large black top parking lot in a mall on Sunday morning at 6am!

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2004, 09:27:01 PM »
"-Springhaven PA perhaps unsalvageable last 4 holes built where perhaps two should have been, the first 14 claustrophobia to absolute claustrophobia."

redanman:

That's a poor analysis but it doesn't surprise me! #15 is actually a very good little par 3 that offers loads of intensity if the greens are running fast. Get above the pin on that green and you have to do some real work. #16 is actually a very strategic drive as is the drive on #17. They've had a ton of tournaments at Springhaven with the best in Philly and it takes both experience and thought to not stub one's toe on #16 and #17. #18 is clearly an odd type of hole as the 18th on any course.

You've probably played that course no more than once, right? Go back and play it a number of times in tournament play and you're likely to change your mind about at least three of those final four holes.

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2004, 09:36:16 PM »
Timber Point and Lido

The new courses are there and if you even drop in here once in awhile, it is depressing to know what was there in the past.

JDoyle

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2004, 10:12:12 PM »
The Carolina in Pinhurst, NC; from the team of Palmer/Seay.  Wow - terrible course on some fairly good rolling property.  Stevie Wonder could have routed the course better.

pdrake

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2004, 10:22:29 PM »
Hands down the worst golf experience ever is Shattuck in New Hampshire......no pesticides, no farirways, greens like shaggy carpets and basically 3 hours from the civilized world (Manchester VT and Hanover NH the exceptions).  I still have nightmares about that place...............

ed_getka

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2004, 10:36:15 PM »
How on earth did you guys play these courses, when you have a resource like GCA at your fingertips? I haven't played a bad course since finding this site.

Dave,
   I have GOT to see any course that is so bad that you turn down 18 at Chicago GC (in spite of the fact you already played it).
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2004, 11:31:09 PM »
I know lots and lots of crap golf courses in Britain.  But they don't quite reach this category.  They are boring, but are cheap and don't offend.  Perhaps Rees Jones's, The Oxfordshire is the closest. Thoroughly lacking in charm, it's ugly and a "waste of a good spud field", to those with taste; but even that course does still have a few interesting and challenging holes.

As an aside.  The other big name American designer lable courses in GB&I are much the same.  Big money and thoroughly charmless!  The Nicklaus efforts,  Bob Cupp at East Sussex National (what a crappy name) which has some good moments but was still a missed opportunity.  

Smyers is easily the best with Chart Hills;  even if you don't like his aggressive bunkering...it's still a course with a good routing and many cool holes.

For anyone who knows it (I don't). What about that Ballesteros/Laura Davies course near Glasgow?  I hear horrible.

The second course at Mannings Heath?

The new Archerfield job?  I heard one completely negative report, from a man in the know.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2004, 11:38:13 PM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2004, 04:21:48 AM »
I do believe that Shivas has lost his mind and recommend he be committed for 30 days observation in a looney bin :P
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Mike_Golden

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2004, 09:12:20 AM »
Bill,

I was in the Desert last week for a Dave Pelz putting clinic (I was the only one there and got a 3 hour private lesson)-the instructor lives there and plays the Norman course often and said right now it's closed because it's going through major renovation including the removal of the plants in the desert area.  So maybe there's the remotest sign of hope that it could be slightly better than what we suffered through a few years ago (although you played really well if my memory serves me correctly, including making a birdie putt while on the phone with Renee). :D

Top100Guru

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2004, 10:27:56 AM »
One of the all time worsts for me was at Kiva Dunes......if "Kudzu covers Dixie like the dew" then "the no-see-ums Cover you like hot fudge on cold ice cream" at this place......not to mention, the golf course  :o was very lame.....

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2004, 11:23:21 AM »
I am actually struggling with this for all golf courses have something good about them. The bottom of the urban mui's might be on the bubble. One here has a hole with a high fense next to the green where future terrorists throw rocks/boulders at you while you are putting. The boulders are of such size that you would be wearing a toe tag on the next tee if you are hit. It makes for pace of play to pick up. I find being next to an airport has its downside. I got over that at Troon/Prestwick and for that matter at Dornoch, Nairn, Kingsbarns since the bush/cheney beat up iraq games began.

mikes1160

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2004, 12:52:50 PM »
The Bridges Golf Club, San Ramon, CA. Impressive at a first glance, but then you come to understand why Johnny Miller doesn't design golf courses.......jail left and right on virtually every hole. I'd also nominate Seven Bridges in Woodridge, IL. Two former decent 18s combined into one mediocre track.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2004, 02:08:50 PM »
Tustin Ranch

Mike_Golden

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2004, 04:16:40 PM »
Tommy,

C'mon, you can do better than that-name all the Ted Robinson courses you avoid like the plague and why-I'll start you off:  Trilogy @ Glen Ivy.  What a piece of s**t that one is-front nine that's absolutely boring, boring, boring, then a back nine around a canyon that ends with a tee box elevated at least 250' from the fairway and a cart path that must have 6 switchbacks on the way down.  Played it once, it took 5 1/2 hours in the cold and wet and we finished in the dark (which is probably the best way to be on the golf course) ;D ??? ::) :P :o

rgkeller

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2004, 04:22:00 PM »
North Hills on Long Island, next to Deepdale - but not Deepdale.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2004, 04:53:51 PM »
Prior to this year, I would say Yale—if only to avoid the disappointment of seeing what is such an obvious masterpiece in a state of absolute neglect. As people have reported on this site, conditioning seems to be much improved this year. I have not played the "new and improved" version, so I will reserve judgment.

JohnV

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2004, 05:03:56 PM »
The most appropriately named course in golf: "The Badlands".  The land was bad before the course was built and they certainly didn't improve it much.

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2004, 04:44:13 PM »
E. Gaynor Brennan Hubbard Heights in Stamford,CT is the top miss on my list.  Blind Par 3's/6 Hour Rounds/Gas Carts with exhaust/tighter than a guy who knows the serial $ on his dollar bills.

Shivas, could I at least play Chicago Golf Club with that group BEFORE playing the "The Hack?" - A last meal before the Green Mile?  (Make the group Courtney Thorne Smith, Stephanie Seymore and Diane Lane - all serious players)

JWK

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2004, 05:31:50 PM »
There are actually more than a few of these in Illinois.  Besides Tamarack and Seven Bridges, the worst of the lot may be Arboretum, a Nugent course where every golfer is a target for every other golfer.  Also the Bog in Saukville, WI., Palmer/Seay.  A house course with no houses but lots of decorative rocks.  Drive a little north to Kohler, or, even better, an hour northwest to Lawsonia.
That was one hellacious beaver.

THuckaby2

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2004, 05:58:21 PM »
The worst course I have played in the last few years has been the Valley course at Coyote Creek just south of San Jose.  This is a Jack Nicklaus remodel and its a blatant job of stealing money from a developer.  My guess is the developer (Castle & Cooke) wanted to build a new course, also demanded that Jack remodel the existing course.  

Sorry, couldn't let this one slip, had to stick up for this course, which I do like a lot (and Joel and Gib patently hate).  Won't get into this AGAIN, except to say that if this is the worst course Joel has played in the last few years, he has a darn high standard of play.  Nothing wrong with that, that's for sure!

It's likely not even in my bottom 30, and I still play it pretty often.

I want Joel's life.

;)

ChipOat

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2004, 05:59:39 PM »
rgkeller:

I agree North Hills is no Deepdale and it isn't my favorite but it isn't really THAT bad, is it?

If NH is the worst you've ever played, you spend 100% of your golf time in some pretty rareified air!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back