News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Travis Ripley

Re:Golf courses that finish STRONG
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2004, 12:25:03 PM »
i'll concur with Carnoustie.  

Oak Tree GC has a par 3 17th, FWIW.  in fact, i'd say one of the most underlooked thing about Oak Tree is a very excellent set of par 3's.  

Andy Hodson

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2004, 01:07:01 PM »
Just returned from the islands, and IMO it would be hard to find a more thrilling and challenging finish than at kapalua Plantation.

The tee shot on #17 is one of the most fun, no...its the most fun shot, I have ever hit. The ball hangs in the air against the backdrop of Molokai and the Pacific for eternity. The second is just as exciting. And the eighteenth is wonderful, obviously. Combine the shot values with the overwhelming views and its just about as good as it gets coming home.

Note:Both times I played it last week, I had to start on #10. Oh well.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2004, 02:06:38 PM »
I concur about Carnoustie.  I don't think, however, that a steady diet of brutal finishes is always good.  I prefer exciting finishes.  Personally, I like a reachable par five where eagle or bogey are possible.  I don't mind getting beat up at the end of a round but in a tournament I don't just want to hang on but allow for a swing of two or three strokes.  That kind of ending has its own kind of stress on the mental capabilities of a golfer.  18 at Pebble fits the bill.  so does 18 at NGLA.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

LenBum

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2004, 08:59:36 PM »
Shinnecock Hills.......................16, 17 and 18.
Although if you rank the par 3's the 17th would probably be 4th it's still a tough tee shot with a 20 mph crosswind. And let us not underestimate a 20 mph wind blowing at your back as you set up to a tee shot knowing a slight mishit is going dead right. Definitely favors a lefthander.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2004, 09:10:09 PM »
Palm Beach Polo has a finish that will brutalize a Tour Player, but from the regular tees is tough, fair, and far from being impossible.  

LenBum

« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2004, 09:32:03 PM »
Palm Beach Polo.................The Dye course. Par 5 17th that has been into a howling wind everytime I've played it. Mishit one shot and you have a long aproach to a small green with water left. I guess that is the reason for the signature Dye "noose" at the back left of the green. And the 18th into the same wind that has that ugly mound blocking the right side of the green. Ugly but effective!

Paul Richards

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2004, 09:08:49 PM »
I'll take My Home Course against just about any other course for a STRONG four-hole finish!!

15 - 465 par four
16 - 444 par four
17 - 229 par three
18 - 599 par five

:) :)
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back