News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_F

St Andrews Beach Redux - The Art of Deception
« on: July 28, 2004, 06:25:15 AM »
This is the new course down here on the Mornington Peninsula.  I had a hit/walk around most of it today.

It's a fantastic piece of tumbling land upon which it hardly looks as if a golf course is there - even on the tee!  Following our unseasonally cold and wet winter the fairways still appeared a way off, but it was really fun just hitting around.

The bunkers are more like rugged, eroded sand pits than bunkers, many of which appear, from the tee, to appear either way out of range, or alternately, too close, but are right on the money. Hopefully Tom will see fit to remove several rather nasty grassy knobs from some of them in December  :o

The fairways are plenty wide, especially for such a windy part of the world, yet good strong driving will be needed, because shorter or wilder hitters will be partially blocked off on some holes, or facing a lot of tricky lies. The eighth, a brilliant 335 m par four from a high tee over rolling, wave-like ridges, to a tiny green invisible from the bail out left side of the fairway, is a case in point.  

The greens too are really neat.  A variety of sizes, although most looked smallish to me, and plenty of room to bounce and roll approaches in around contours to get at certain pin positions, and plenty of swales and hollows to one side that will accompany the bad miss or deliberate hedge, but require a Seve-like touch with chipping to keep your score intact.  

One hole in particular, the 325m ninth, was especially terrific.  A high drive down a broad valley, to a green, that even from the second shot landing area, appears to be a forty or fifty yard WIDE green, but is in fact aligned from right to left vertically.

The fourth too, is a 190 m par three over a hollow to a green set on a ridge, that, from the tee, appears difficult to see and find - yet there is enough room between the bunkers to play a long running approach, or a long chip if you decide to play short for fear of missing what you can't quite see.

All in all, it appears to be a course that will have everyone slightly off balance as to exactly what is required, and will need a lot of imagination and thought to post a score.  Is this an accurate description for anyone else who has had a hit around?  

There are four great short par fours, and two of Ran's medium length par fours, with only two par fives, one of them, the first, with an awe-inspiring tee shot from a crest fifty feet or more above the fairway over a moonah tree in the bottom of the valley.  Shot after shot looks to be something you really look forward to playing, no matter what position, or how far back, you will be in the fairway.  

It will be really interesting to follow the evolution of it as it grows in and evolves, as it is a course that, despite what I've said, doesn't immediately knock you over with eye candy.   It's much more subtle, and hopefully forever interesting, than that.  It is really going to be something.  And to think there is still one more course to go, and a composite routing from those... incredible.

Player_Aus

Re:St Andrews Beach Redux - The Art of Deception
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 01:03:42 AM »
Mark, your thoughts on Standrews Beach are fairly accurate.  I reckon once the couch kicks in, the apearance will be greatly enhanced showing all the natural attributes of the land.  

IMHO, I have not seen a better opening stretch of holes.  The inspiring 1st, the extraordinairy 2nd (260 meter par four) and the second shot awaiting a good drive on 3 has to be seen to be believed.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2004, 03:20:28 PM »
Mark:

What is the time table for the course to open or is it open now?

Please address the turf issues and the state of the putting surfaces?

Thanks ...

P.S. Total yardage -- a breakdown of holes would be appreciated!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2004, 04:37:10 PM »
Matt:  The following are approximate yardages for the Gunnamatta course.  Some of them could be off by ten or twenty yards; I don't pay much attention to the last 5%, and I've yet to see the final lasered numbers.

(all in yards)

1 - 560          10 - 440
2 - 285          11 - 160
3 - 470          12 - 430
4 - 210          13 - 465
5 - 425          14 - 340
6 - 185          15 - 380
7 - 420          16 - 220
8 - 360          17 - 510
9 - 350          18 - 430

Total  6,640 yards   par 70

Please note that the intention of the project is to create a Composite course of approximately 7000 yards from the entire 36-hole complex when complete, but the two courses individually will only measure 6700 yards or so from the back for member play.

The composite course will probably include holes 1-5 and 12-15 from the Gunnamatta course, because that is the best way to link up to the eventual Fingal course.  This will leave out some of my favorite holes from the Gunnamatta [the stretch from 7-10 is a great run], not to mention the 16th and 18th ... but as at Royal Melbourne it's tough to pick any holes from this course to leave out.

Mark_F

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2004, 12:43:45 PM »
Matt Ward:

If all goes well, the course will be open for limited play in December, with a 'proper' opening around April.  This was the information I got before I left Aust for the UK, and I have yet to hear otherwise.  

We had an unseasonably cold and very wet winter in Melbourne, which had affected some of the turf - it was fairly patchy on parts, but the principals seemed pretty confident it would all come together nicely once the better weather arrived.

Some of the earlier greens were in pretty good nick - the 6th, I think, was one - a brilliant mid-iron par three - whilst the aforementioned 9th, as well as the 3rd, 5th, 7th and 11th were all rolling pretty quick.  

The greens that weren't quite there just had the odd bare batch or two - nothing dramatic.  

As an aside to Tom's yardages:

I think the 3rd will be playing at 440-odd yards, the 12th at 440, and the 13th at 480.  It's easy for Tom Doak to say they could be off (i.e. shorter) by ten or twenty yards, because he is undoubtedly a longer hitter than me, and I want every inch I can muster.

I can't tell you anything about the stretch from 12-18, because we were having so much fun just knocking it around the first eleven we ran out of time, but 14 and 15 look bloody sensational.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back