News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Anybody want to complain about Michelle Wie?
« on: July 04, 2004, 02:39:06 PM »
Not this week, apparently.  And it doesn't look like you will have to complain about her having an exemption to the US Women's Open for about 25 years.

JohnV

Re:Anybody want to complain about Michelle Wie?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2004, 02:43:22 PM »
If she finishes in the top 20 today she is automatically exempt for next year, which should lower David Fay's blood pressure somewhat.

Bruceski

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2004, 02:43:52 PM »
No one who cares about LPGA golf should complain about a player who actually draws more fans to the game. The fact that she is close to getting a top 10 finish in this week's Open justifies her exemption. In other words, this wasn't at all akin to Sorenstam's exemption last year to the Colonial. The rest of the complaining women players just appear shrill and self-defeating (to themselves and their sport).

Ken Fry

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2004, 03:15:48 PM »
Some of the players against the exemption have made one valid point.  Wie should have gone through the qualifying just to experience how difficult that process can be to gain a greater appreciation down the line.  There's no doubt she will never have to do it again and her play speaks for itself.

danielfaleman

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2004, 03:26:54 PM »
Women's golf is crap. And, lousy of the USGA to use a fourteen year-old "amateur" to its economic benefit.

Bruceski

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2004, 04:01:52 PM »
How is it better that the USGA provide exemptions to over-the-hill veterans (a.k.a., Jack Nicklaus) for their economic benefit? Exemptions are a part of the professional golf experience, so if you defend one you can defend them all. The U.S. Open (men's or women's) is simply business. If you accept that then you can accept exemptions for the sake of enhancing the bottom line.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2004, 04:12:07 PM »
Exemptions are a part of the professional golf experience, so if you defend one you can defend them all.

Last I checked she was an amateur.  If she's the bombed-out, dog-digiity that every one believes (including me - I think she's a brilliant talent) she could have easily qualified the old-fashioned way - by earning it.  Oh, but that would have interfered with her attempts to gain a Masters Invitation!

Again it all boils down to this, the tournament is our national championship, not the USGA's invitational.

As for Wie, I am astonished by her steadiness.  While she has yet to really go low, that will undoubtedly come as her short game continues to improve.  The amazing fact is that she rarely "goes high," as we might expect of someone with her limited experience and youthful age.  

I'm glad she's in the tournament, just unconvinced that her invitation was merited.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2004, 04:13:36 PM »
Said well Mike!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2004, 04:33:25 PM »
Tom Doak,

Are you saying that the end justifies the means ?   ;D

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2004, 04:33:46 PM »
Wie is a great talent.  Obviously ESPN thinks so too, they showed every shot she made Thursday.
She should be there having qualified.  The Women's Open has become entertainment.  Entertainment is supposed to be the LPGA tour, not the US Open.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Bruceski

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2004, 04:38:42 PM »
Of course it's our National Championship. The implication being it's a merit-based event -- only the best can get in, and only the best can win. But, in truth, exemptions are given than defy the merit-based aspect of the event. Why is this particular exemption more egregious? Because she's an amateur? If she accepted the prize money and turned professional would that legitimitize her exemption? Her accepting the exemption as an amateur not only made good sense for her, but also good sense for the USGA, and good sense for her competitors, who likely will derive significant financial dividends (as Tiger's competitors did in the late 90's) from her being around. And, as you point out, based on merit, she belongs.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2004, 06:10:31 PM »
Right or wrong, NBC said on today's coverage that it was the most heavily attended U.S. Women's Open in history. Whether it was the location, the great competition, or the presence of a star like Wie, something worked.

rgkeller

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2004, 06:22:08 PM »
Right or wrong, NBC said on today's coverage that it was the most heavily attended U.S. Women's Open in history. Whether it was the location, the great competition, or the presence of a star like Wie, something worked.

The USGA got what it wanted - more ticket revenue.

And, of course, Fay got to smoke out some racists.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2004, 06:33:38 PM »
Forget the draw that she represents, the need for her to play, how well she would stand if she was a pro & collecting money, or any of the these self-convincing rationales; the bottom line is that it is the single most important championship in women's golf and they should remember the importance of that.

It is hard enough to justify the giving of a special exemption into the U.S. Open, after all, it is only a few short years ago when Arnold Palmer was still playing well enough to contend on the men's tour when they made him qualify. In fact, that is one of the reason's that I rooted so hard for Arnie in my youth; if he could believe that the game was bigger than him, than who was I to disagree.

For me that is the ultimate problem with giving the exemption to Wie. Why is it such a loss if she FAILS to qualify? Doesn't this just elevate the importance of the championship to the level it deserves to be at.

One of the things that separates golf from all other sport or athletic endeavors is how its history is lived every day. Babe Ruth, Red Grange, Pele, Roger Bannister, Dick Weber, Jesse Owens, and so many other icons of their sports who reached mythical status have now become little more than answers to trivia questions, rolled out for inspection only when some modern players performance eclipses a record that has been relegated to a somewhat meaningless status. Not so in golf.

Bobby Jones is revered now as much, and if not more, than when he walked the fairways to cheers. So too Lord Byron, Sam Snead, Walter Hagen, and even further back to the Morrises both older & younger. In no other sport has been there so much written about the accomplishments of the past greats as there has been in golf, and continues to be so. Why else are so many of the discussions on this website the heated jousts that both entertain and provoke?

The difference between the history of golf and any other sport is shown by the Babe, Didrickson not Ruth. For all of her accomplishments in Track & Field, tennis and other sports, she is most remembered for her accomplishments on the golf course. Why is that? Her feats in the others were just as legendary. The answer though lies in the nature of our legends and why they remain so. The legends of golf are truly historic and conrinued from generation to generation.

That is why I believe it was so wrong for the USGA to give her this special exemption even though it can be so well-justified on a variety of levels.

By doing this the USGA has lowered the heights from which we look up at our legends. They have declared the history & traditions of the game to be a little less important. At a time when we need honor and appreciation for tradition in our lives, attacking that in even a small way is a slippery slope whose borders never should have been approached no less started down.

johnk

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2004, 06:53:00 PM »
I agree with Mike and Philip's sentiments.

I still think the exemption was a mistake, and had a lot to do with a hope that she would qualify for and win the Men's publinx - the USGA secretly wants to tweak the people who know how to be guardians of the game - the people that run Augusta...

Answer me two questions:

1. Why should Michelle Wie have been given an exemption?
2. Why have any exemptions at all?

After I was told by John V.derB that the USGA has routinely given exemptions, I had less of a problem with this one, and less respect for the people that run the national open....

Bruceski

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2004, 07:02:10 PM »
Philip,

Your post is hyperbole. Other sports honor their legends as well as or better than golf. Babe Ruth is a far more recognized name that Babe Didrickson, as are Joe Dimaggio, Mickey Mantle, and Hank Aaron. For that matter Didrickson is far more an answer to a trivia question than are Jesse Owens and Pele.

And are you referring to the same tradition-revering Arnold Palmer who endorsed non-conforming equipment a few years ago? Yes, the game is bigger than he, except when there's a buck to be made.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2004, 08:57:41 PM »
Bruce, I think you missed my point. Golf is the only sport where the icons of its history remain as such. For example, no sooner does Michael Jordan retire as the recognized greatest player who ever lived (although my money is ony on Oscar Robertson for that), than certain sportswriters are already making Kobe Bryant out to his possible equal.

My point is that those who enjoy golf are more familiar with its roots and traditions by far than in any other sport.

Whether Arnold was wrong for his stance on the equipment issue doesn't take away from the point that I was trying to make - that even the person who universally recognized as being the man who brought the game to the people & into the television era, the man responsible for elevating the monies that a touring pro could make, even though he was still in a competitive prime (not winning) he had to go through qualifying to play in the Open and never considered it beneath him. It was only many years later that he received his exemption(s), & this in order to honor the tradition of the game.

Michelle Wie, who is barely starting her career & has yet to do ANYTHING that would merit a "special exemption" should not be given one simply on the basis of where she might stand if she were a pro. That is specious reasoning at best.

And by the way, as far as trivia questions & the Babe are concerned, she still has the third longest span between winning U.S. Women's Opens.

TEPaul

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2004, 09:32:06 PM »
"Anybody want to complain about Michelle Wie?"

Not me!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2004, 09:34:43 PM »
There's a reason that they call it the Open,

And part of it is that you're supposed to play your way in.

Previous exemptions were mostly ceremonial in nature.

TEPaul

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2004, 09:36:40 PM »
Michele Wie earned her exemption. Only thing is she did it after the fact!  ;)

If the kid could putt, she'd be a really dangerous 14 year old competitor!  ;)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 09:38:13 PM by TEPaul »

noonan

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2004, 09:52:36 PM »
Anyone who has a problem with her exemption is jealous.

She is talented and would have qualified off of LPGA $ anyway.

JK

David_Tepper

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2004, 10:56:48 PM »
The decision to invite Michelle Wie to play in the Women's Open was brilliant deserved. Her performance not only justified the invitation, but only hinted at the level of golf we will see from her in the future.

I find the dissatisfaction of several comments on this board regarding the ability of the USGA to stage an event that is both a financial and an artistic success to be rather petty and perverse.

Is there anything wrong with the media and the public (both golfing and non-golfing) having something to be excited about in the world of golf? If it means giving an invitation to a remarkably talented and accomplished 14-year old girl, how is that a  bad thing? If it gets a 10 or 12-year old girl (or boy) watching on TV or going to the golf course excited and inspired enough to want to learn and play golf, isn't that one of the things the USGA should be trying to do?    

Mr. Mucci- When the USGA lets the conditions at Shinnecock get so ridiculous that over 40% of the field shoots 80 or higher on Sunday, all in the name of "protecting par," is that not a class A-1 example of letting the ends justify the means? Do you approve of that?

DT

David_Tepper

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2004, 11:07:45 PM »
danielfaleman-

Meg Mallon shoots the lowest winning final-round score in the  history of the Women's Open. Annika Sorrenstam shoots her lowest final-round score but it is not good enough to win.

Women's golf may be a lot of things. Somehow, I do not think "crap" is one of them.

DT

danielfaleman

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2004, 11:46:27 PM »
Meg Mallon's final-round 65 tied a U.S. Women's Open record; she shot -10, 274 for the tourney.

All of professional golf blows - but the women's game is just silly.

David_Tepper

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2004, 12:23:03 AM »
danielfaleman-

According to the golfweb.com wire service, Mallon's final round 6-under par 65 was the lowest final round by the winner in the 59-year history of the tournament.

It is nice you are so easily amused.

DT

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back