News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re: Anybody want to complain about Michelle Wie?
« Reply #150 on: June 22, 2014, 09:34:06 PM »
Why do people think that someone saying something will affect what someone else does 100 yards or miles away? Have we not progressed from the days of the Salem witch trials?

Hooray for the announcers. And for Vin Scully, who'll mention that a no-hitter is in progress.

Scully has called a LOT of no-hitters, and never jinxed one.  Or did he?

David Lott

« Reply #151 on: June 22, 2014, 09:48:44 PM »
My wife has pointed out that Ms. Wie's attire would not be considered appropriate at pretty much every private club in America.

That rule is in effect to prevent women her age from wearing it.

And women not her age. Different objection, same result.
David Lott

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #152 on: June 22, 2014, 10:03:12 PM »
My wife has pointed out that Ms. Wie's attire would not be considered appropriate at pretty much every private club in America.

And women not her age. Different objection, same result.

Women are the one's objecting.

What guy would object to short shorts on great legs ? ;D

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #153 on: June 22, 2014, 11:06:44 PM »
Women object to scooped golf tops cuz one gal  wore them with perfect t?tz
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Jim Nugent

« Reply #154 on: June 23, 2014, 01:16:26 AM »
Why do people think that someone saying something will affect what someone else does 100 yards or miles away?

Chaos theory, quantum mechanics and the Butterfly Effect. 

Matthew Rose

« Reply #155 on: June 23, 2014, 02:14:40 AM »
Btw..could they have put the three putt jinx on her any more often!?  I'm surprised they weren't giving her whammy fingers.

Right before the putt on the 17th my wife said, "Why doesn't that guy shut up trying to jinx her. She's not going to 3-putt, she's going to make this". And sure enough, a few seconds later it's in the hole.

None of which stopped them mentioning the 3-putt thing twice more on the 18th...

NBC.... you mean the Stacy Lewis fan club? They couldn't have been rooting any harder in the booth for Wie to fail. When Lewis birdied #18, they basically did everything short of congratulating her on winning the tournament.

Reminded me somewhat of Jack Nicklaus congratulating Colin Montgomerie at Pebble Beach when Tom Kite still had 12 holes to play.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #156 on: June 23, 2014, 05:16:59 AM »
I think Wie spent time with Kaymer, inside the ropes, during round 4 of the men's open.  At the very least she saw how he played the course. 

Carl Rogers

« Reply #157 on: June 23, 2014, 09:44:39 AM »
How many Nike balls and clubs will be sold this week?
Will she & TW start doing ads together?
Will there be a return to the PGA?

Or can the off the course drama end? ..... probably not.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Charlie_Bell

« Reply #158 on: June 23, 2014, 09:56:58 AM »
Were the announcers pro-Lewis or pro-playoff?  Not only would the drama have been big for the LPGA -- "TWO GREAT YOUNG AMERICANS BATTLING FOR OUR NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!!!" blah-blah-blah -- but it would have been good for ratings vs. the Travellers and the World Cup.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #159 on: June 23, 2014, 10:50:51 AM »

You're a bad man for being such a provocateur, but every once in awhile you hit pay dirt.  Years ago, at a neighbor's surprise birthday/pool party, a recently divorced neighbor showed up with his well endowed, fit 20 year-old date whose string bikini strained to keep her all in.  The men all had a great time goggling and talking up the lass; the women in groups, mostly stayed out of the water, looking not too pleased and bad mouthing Joe (the neighbor) for having been such a lousy former husband to their friend, but more so for providing food for thought to their own.  The fun was spoiled when another neighbor, a popular television sports anchor, shows up fashionably late and hogged all the young lady's attention.

Not marginalizing Ms. Wie's great skills on the course, she is a very attractive young woman.  Those leg things probably wouldn't work aesthetically on 90% of the field.  Are they an affectation or do they really serve a medical/physical purpose?  With the 5th Major coming up and Barny's laments about his deteriorating physical condition, maybe he'll be donning a matching set.  I hope someone brings a camera.      

George Pazin

« Reply #160 on: June 23, 2014, 11:49:11 AM »
So happy for Wiesy.

It's funny that people second guess her shot choice on 16. I guess they know her game and the situation better than she. How would she know, she's only the one playing it...
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #161 on: June 23, 2014, 11:58:17 AM »
So happy for Wiesy.

It's funny that people second guess her shot choice on 16. I guess they know her game and the situation better than she. How would she know, she's only the one playing it...

I don't think people are saying they know her game or the situation better than her.  But we all in golf know that if you are going to lay-up, then lay-up.  She seemed to be trying reach the green against the odds or put it in a greenside bunker which brought other adverse options into play.
Frankly I liked her reaction of relief in making the second putt on 16.  I think was as big as the putt on 17.  She sure seemed able to smile and laugh which conveyed the impression that she had her emotions under control.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #162 on: June 23, 2014, 12:46:21 PM »
I wish Payne could have made this party.  Wie is the only golfer alive worth watching.

http://bustedcoverage.com/2014/06/23/michelle-wie-partied-twerked-last-night-after-winning-u-s-open/

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #163 on: June 23, 2014, 01:20:53 PM »
I wish Payne could have made this party.  Wie is the only golfer alive worth watching.

http://bustedcoverage.com/2014/06/23/michelle-wie-partied-twerked-last-night-after-winning-u-s-open/

That sound you hear is the cracking of old necks from shaking their heads too hard.

I was annoyed early on when it was clear that he golf celebrity had outstripped her golf achievements, but after her win yesterday, she deserves to get a little rowdy. She's earned it.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #164 on: June 23, 2014, 01:45:06 PM »
Congratulations to her on a well earned victory.  I think she deserves far more credit as it seems that the 11 year old is being featured more than MW.  It appeared to me on 16 that she immediately recognized her options and clearly saw that the unplayable was the best option and knew that she could go back as far as she wanted to on line with the flag.  Glad to see that it appeared that no one from the USGA was hovering and making sure that she was exactly on the proper line. 

Jason Thurman

« Reply #165 on: June 23, 2014, 02:18:17 PM »
Congratulations to her on a well earned victory.  I think she deserves far more credit as it seems that the 11 year old is being featured more than MW.

If anyone deserves to have the biggest win of her career undermined by the novelty of a junior player also being part of the field, it's Michelle Wie. I enjoyed watching her play the few holes I got to see yesterday. She's still an exceptional talent and the greatest hope the LPGA has for long-term relevance, but it is at least a little poetic that some her spotlight was stolen by a middle schooler. After all, none of us can remember who won the 2004 Sony Open.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

David Bartman

« Reply #166 on: June 23, 2014, 02:38:53 PM »
I'm happy for her, but does anyone else think it was a knucklehead play to hit that hybrid out of the bunker on 16 with a 3 shot lead? If she doesn't make that long downhill putt on 17, that 4 footer on 18 takes on awhile different complexion.

That was extremely stupid.  Philesc.  agree completely.  You don't do that in an Open.

If you believe the hype of the restoration the worst she could do was make a five. It was a simple 180 yd shot with a good lie from a fairway bunker. This was not Carnoustiesque.

It was a terrible job by her caddie, hit an 8 iron 30 yards short and make 5 at worst, three shot lead with 3 holes to go, when your opponent is finished and cannot narrow the margin! Hitting that utility was a terrible decision and almost cost her the open.  You do realize they almost didn't find the ball, then what? She has to drop back in the bunker, which would most likely bury lying 4!  

Here response after making the 2nd putt on 16 for double was great, and great to see.  She could have easily walked off that green in shock even after making that putt, but she was smiling and anything but in shock. 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 02:47:04 PM by David Bartman »
Still need to play Pine Valley!!

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #167 on: June 23, 2014, 02:46:10 PM »
I'm happy for her, but does anyone else think it was a knucklehead play to hit that hybrid out of the bunker on 16 with a 3 shot lead? If she doesn't make that long downhill putt on 17, that 4 footer on 18 takes on awhile different complexion.

That was extremely stupid.  Philesc.  agree completely.  You don't do that in an Open.

If you believe the hype of the restoration the worst she could do was make a five. It was a simple 180 yd shot with a good lie from a fairway bunker. This was not Carnoustiesque.

It was a terrible job by her caddie, hit an 8 iron 30 yards short and make 5 at worst, three shot lead with 3 holes to go, when your opponent is finished and cannot narrow the margin! Hitting that utility was a terrible decision and almost cost her the open.  You do realize they almost didn't find the ball, then what? She has to drop back in the bunker, which would most likely bury lying 4! 

Yep, I thought the same thing.
Question, was that area where the ball embedded inside the bunker? Never saw a shot from above.

David Bartman

« Reply #168 on: June 23, 2014, 02:48:04 PM »

That was extremely stupid.  Philesc.  agree completely.  You don't do that in an Open.

It was a terrible job by her caddie, hit an 8 iron 30 yards short and make 5 at worst, three shot lead with 3 holes to go, when your opponent is finished and cannot narrow the margin! Hitting that utility was a terrible decision and almost cost her the open.  You do realize they almost didn't find the ball, then what? She has to drop back in the bunker, which would most likely bury lying 4! 

Yep, I thought the same thing.
Question, was that area where the ball embedded inside the bunker? Never saw a shot from above.

I am pretty sure it was just above the bunker, under a small bush.  She did make a good decision to take the unplayable. 
Still need to play Pine Valley!!

Mike_Young

« Reply #169 on: June 23, 2014, 02:59:14 PM »
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #170 on: June 23, 2014, 03:10:26 PM »
Yes, I do think we will have a few complaints about Michelle ....

her young fans may not be allowed to watch...

http://deadspin.com/michelle-wie-twerks-refuses-to-turn-down-after-u-s-op-1594767175?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

And Hoover wants to party with the Old Tom Morris actor.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #171 on: June 23, 2014, 03:13:02 PM »
Funny.  If I'd won something that big at 24 years old after training my whole life for it...I'd have done a hell of a lot worse than dance and drink beer inside a friends apartment.  Lighten up!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #172 on: June 23, 2014, 03:15:54 PM »
Funny.  If I'd won something that big at 24 years old after training my whole life for it...I'd have done a hell of a lot worse than dance and drink beer inside a friends apartment.  Lighten up!

Who's complaining?

Mike_Young

« Reply #173 on: June 23, 2014, 03:23:14 PM »
I'm not saying I have a problem with her celebrating even more than is shown but the "role model" scene will come out....  a few sponsors might not like the "middle finger" scene.... :)
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #174 on: June 23, 2014, 03:25:35 PM »
I'm not saying I have a problem with her celebrating even more than is shown but the "role model" scene will come out....  a few sponsors might not like the "middle finger" scene.... :)

That was in response to the rumor that she would have to play Lawsonia.  I have the same opinion.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back