News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gary Sato

Re: Anybody want to complain about Michelle Wie?
« Reply #125 on: June 22, 2014, 04:44:08 PM »
My wife has pointed out that Ms. Wie's attire would not be considered appropriate at pretty much every private club in America.

That rule is in effect to prevent women her age from wearing it.

Did I miss something on the leg art?  Is that a bandage for a medical reason or a style that I hope never catches on?

BCowan

« Reply #126 on: June 22, 2014, 04:44:53 PM »
Gary,

Medical

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #127 on: June 22, 2014, 04:53:12 PM »
Gary,

Medical

Well, maybe:

When asked about the Kinesio tape she had on her left leg — two long camouflage pieces on her thigh, pink stripes wrapped behind and on both sides of her kneecap and two more camo strips down her calf and along one side — Wie said she "thinks" it makes her leg feel better, helping with inflammation. But it serves another purpose as well.

"I just think it looks cool, too," she said. "Makes me look really hard."

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/06/20/3952444/michelle-wie-resists-looking-forward.html#storylink=cpy

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #128 on: June 22, 2014, 05:00:40 PM »
Tabletopping...
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

John Kirk

« Reply #129 on: June 22, 2014, 05:44:33 PM »
Wow, that was a clutch putt.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #130 on: June 22, 2014, 05:51:24 PM »
Tabletopping...
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #131 on: June 22, 2014, 05:55:35 PM »
Wie? Oui!
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #132 on: June 22, 2014, 05:55:48 PM »
Watching her stroke that last putt was worth the wait.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #133 on: June 22, 2014, 05:59:21 PM »
If they put up a statue of her I will return to play. Tabletop.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #134 on: June 22, 2014, 06:00:14 PM »
What are the odds that her parents have the humility, class and appreciation of their DAUGHTER'S accomplishment to leave her the F alone once she wins?   Or will they mug her on the green and hog the spotlight because they just can't help themselves?  Any takers on the former?
Agreed, Mom & Dad Wie need to move into permanant retirement
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #135 on: June 22, 2014, 06:04:06 PM »
If they put up a statue of her I will return to play. Tabletop.

The camera angle on her last putt was awkward, but then so was the quasi-impromptu wet t-shirt contest celebration. Hopefully the statue captures an intertemporal moment.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #136 on: June 22, 2014, 07:03:20 PM »
Well that was beautiful.

Halftime of the USA match, and I agree. She seems like a really nice girl/woman, and the celebration by her competitors seemed genuine. She is obviously good for woman's golf.

Stanford graduate, US Open winner, respected by her peers, well-spoken.....maybe her parents deserve some credit after some missteps.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #137 on: June 22, 2014, 07:38:11 PM »
My wife has pointed out that Ms. Wie's attire would not be considered appropriate at pretty much every private club in America.

That rule is in effect to prevent women her age from wearing it.

The men love her outfits, it's the fatwas women who r jealous
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Jud_T

« Reply #138 on: June 22, 2014, 07:50:46 PM »
I'm happy for her, but does anyone else think it was a knucklehead play to hit that hybrid out of the bunker on 16 with a 3 shot lead? If she doesn't make that long downhill putt on 17, that 4 footer on 18 takes on a whole different complexion.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 08:19:33 PM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

BCowan

« Reply #139 on: June 22, 2014, 07:53:56 PM »
I'm happy for her, but does anyone else think it was a knucklehead play to hit that hybrid out of the bunker on 16 with a 3 shot lead? If she doesn't make that long downhill putt on 17, that 4 footer on 18 takes on awhile different complexion.

That was extremely stupid.  Philesc.  agree completely.  You don't do that in an Open.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #140 on: June 22, 2014, 07:59:56 PM »
I'm happy for her, but does anyone else think it was a knucklehead play to hit that hybrid out of the bunker on 16 with a 3 shot lead? If she doesn't make that long downhill putt on 17, that 4 footer on 18 takes on awhile different complexion.

That was extremely stupid.  Philesc.  agree completely.  You don't do that in an Open.

Translation: philesc=Phil-esque. I'm embarrassed that I figured it out. Maybe because I heard a weatherman from Beaumont TX say this yesterday: " A high pressure system that is fairly much stationary" it is preparing me to sort out this kind of thing.

Y'all are welcome.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #141 on: June 22, 2014, 08:01:24 PM »

If you believe the hype of the restoration the worst she could do was make a five. It was a simple 180 yd shot with a good lie from a fairway bunker. This was not Carnoustiesque.

BCowan

« Reply #142 on: June 22, 2014, 08:04:39 PM »

If you believe the hype of the restoration the worst she could do was make a five. It was a simple 180 yd shot with a good lie from a fairway bunker. This was not Carnoustiesque.

I wanna see you hit that shot with a dozen balls!  You also are forgetting pressure and not needing to hit it.  Lie looked a little downhill to me.  This was the US Woman's Open John :)

Tom Ferrell

« Reply #143 on: June 22, 2014, 08:10:59 PM »
I thought the graphic on 16 said 219, but maybe I'm wrong. Nonetheless, the story is certainly not the obviously bad decision. It's the bounce-back birdie. She easily could have folded. To dwell on the mistake, given the way she responded, is shallow, vapid and a little mean.

Today was very good day for golf and a GREAT day for women's golf.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #144 on: June 22, 2014, 08:13:10 PM »

That was extremely stupid.  Philesc.  agree completely.  You don't do that in an Open.

I wanna see you hit that shot with a dozen balls!  You also are forgetting pressure and not needing to hit it.  Lie looked a little downhill to me.  This was the US Woman's Open John :)

I hit that exact shot today from the fairway bunker on 17 at  Victoria National. I'm sure you will be able to see other golfers try next weekend.

The announcers also thought she should putt a clutch chip she executed down the stretch. The never said she should hit eight iron until after her failed attempt with hybrid. Btw..could they have put the three putt jinx on her any more often!?  I'm surprised they weren't giving her whammy fingers.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #145 on: June 22, 2014, 08:17:08 PM »
Btw..could they have put the three putt jinx on her any more often!?  I'm surprised they weren't giving her whammy fingers.

Right before the putt on the 17th my wife said, "Why doesn't that guy shut up trying to jinx her. She's not going to 3-putt, she's going to make this". And sure enough, a few seconds later it's in the hole.

None of which stopped them mentioning the 3-putt thing twice more on the 18th...

P.S. When I asked my wife (who is a non-golfer, a non-golf-fan and basically knows little or nothing about the game) how she knew Michelle would make that birdie putt on 17 she said "Just look at her. Her back is so straight of course she's making everything". Hmmm, shows what I know!

« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 08:20:31 PM by Brent Hutto »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #146 on: June 22, 2014, 08:21:28 PM »
Btw..could they have put the three putt jinx on her any more often!?  I'm surprised they weren't giving her whammy fingers.

Right before the putt on the 17th my wife said, "Why doesn't that guy shut up trying to jinx her. She's not going to 3-putt, she's going to make this". And sure enough, a few seconds later it's in the hole.

None of which stopped them mentioning the 3-putt thing twice more on the 18th...

P.S. When I asked my wife (who is a non-golfer, a non-golf-fan and basically knows little or nothing about the game) how she knew Michelle would make that birdie putt on 17 she said "Just look at her. Her back is so straight of course she's making everything". Hmmm, shows what I know!

That is just cute as hell.

John McCarthy

« Reply #147 on: June 22, 2014, 08:41:35 PM »
I'm happy for her, but does anyone else think it was a knucklehead play to hit that hybrid out of the bunker on 16 with a 3 shot lead? If she doesn't make that long downhill putt on 17, that 4 footer on 18 takes on a whole different complexion.

Jud:  Everyone gets into that.  The champions get out of that.  This week she was The Show.  Good on her.

Ps:  Watson didn't get out of it a few years ago on 18 in The Open.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #148 on: June 22, 2014, 09:07:33 PM »
Why do people think that someone saying something will affect what someone else does 100 yards or miles away? Have we not progressed from the days of the Salem witch trials?

Hooray for the announcers. And for Vin Scully, who'll mention that a no-hitter is in progress.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #149 on: June 22, 2014, 09:10:35 PM »
Why do people think that someone saying something will affect what someone else does 100 yards or miles away? Have we not progressed from the days of the Salem witch trials?

Hooray for the announcers. And for Vin Scully, who'll mention that a no-hitter is in progress.

Why did I miss the last few holes on Saturday to attend Mass?  The world has a finite amount of energy and the only power over our allotment is in how we manage our jinxes.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back