News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re:Anybody want to complain about Michelle Wie?
« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2004, 05:23:33 AM »
John Cullum,
Tom
I would suggest it is because the hierarchy of the USGA are perceived to project themselves as a bunch of elitist snobs.

Would you identify those in the hierarchy of the USGA that are perceived to project themselves as elitist snobs ?
[/color]

Michael Plunkett

« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2004, 09:19:02 AM »
And Daniel Faleman continues to ignore the question.  Why is it relevant that Michelle Wie is an amateur?  She could be a 14-year-old professional and I wouldn't see any difference.  Her credentials - to me - would be no different.

One possible loophole in the Fay explanation... if Wie were pro and accepting checks, would she even show on the Money List?  I wouldn't think so.  She'd still be a non-member unless Votaw waived the age clause like he did for Aree.

Does anyone else see her amateur status as making this different than talking about a 14-year-old professional with the same credentials?  I assumed much of the hubbub was because of her age.  Now he keeps pointing out that she's an amateur and that's relevant.  In fact, he's doing it so forcefully that I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

Daniel, you say it is obvious.  Not to me.  Please explain.

Michelle's earnings this year, not counting the US Open, would be roughly 94,000 bucks, about a grand more then Paula Creamer. That's 63st on the list ahead of Diaz, Moodie, McGill, Gustafson, Waugh, others - with FAR less events, two I think. The US Open would have added another 55 grand. That would have placed her 46th on the list, ahead of Gulbis and Petterson, with only three events. She is the real thing. Whether she lasts is another question but right now she ranks.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2004, 09:19:50 AM by UpnDown »

John_Conley

« Reply #102 on: July 09, 2004, 09:43:11 AM »
But she still wouldn't be on the Money List, would she?  Pretty sure she wouldn't.

(Weirdest money list story I remember was Chad Campbell, on a "battlefield promotion", not being on the Money List when he lost in the playoff.  But a win would have automatically made him a Tour Member that year, thus bumping whoever finished #125 to #126.)

Michael Plunkett

« Reply #103 on: July 09, 2004, 11:19:55 AM »
All I know is if either Wie or Creamer declared pro in the beginning of the year, with the few touraments they played, they would be ranked as mention in the above post.  Not too shabby.

John_Conley

« Reply #104 on: July 09, 2004, 11:25:47 AM »
I'm pretty sure they wouldn't.  Creamer is still 17 and Wie is 14.  You have to be 18 to be a member, but Votaw has set precedent for exceptions with Aree.

It's a fine point, but "having won as much money as # so-and-so on the Money List" (which would be Wie's case if she were a pro) and "having finishes as high as those # so-and-so on the Money List" are two different things.

Since most of the best foreign golfers are already on the LPGA Tour, I can't think of anyone to look up to see if they appear on the list.

John_Cullum

« Reply #105 on: July 09, 2004, 02:45:18 PM »
Would you identify those in the hierarchy of the USGA that are perceived to project themselves as elitist snobs ?[/b][/color]
Pat
Please note that I did not say the hierarchy is a bunch of elitist snobs. But I do believe alot of people think they are. I am perfectly willing to accept that many on the executive committee are very nice people who give alot of time to golf.

Now if one looks down the roster of the executive committee and asks "I wonder where this guy plays his golf?" The answer will inevitably be Pine Valley , Merion, Seminole, Augusta National, etc., etc." It will certainly not be Peoria Country Club or Groveland Municipal. For that matter I doubt the committee members go out and tee it up at Bethpage Black on any regular basis. The committee does not get out to the public very well.

I do not begrudge the committee members for playing at the finest clubs; that's where I would be playing too given the opportunity. But if they want to take the game to the people, they need to leave the ivory tower.

"We finally beat Medicare. "

Michael Plunkett

« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2004, 05:39:13 PM »
I'm pretty sure they wouldn't.  Creamer is still 17 and Wie is 14.  You have to be 18 to be a member, but Votaw has set precedent for exceptions with Aree.

It's a fine point, but "having won as much money as # so-and-so on the Money List" (which would be Wie's case if she were a pro) and "having finishes as high as those # so-and-so on the Money List" are two different things.

Since most of the best foreign golfers are already on the LPGA Tour, I can't think of anyone to look up to see if they appear on the list.

My point John was to show they can play golf with the best of them. I know Wie isn't old enough to join the tour which makes her even more impressive. Taking age out of the equation, she would be in the top 50. LPGA web site was the stats.

Gary Sato

Re: Anybody want to complain about Michelle Wie?
« Reply #107 on: June 21, 2014, 05:22:11 PM »
This thread is exactly 10 years old. 

Better late then never to reach her potential.

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #108 on: June 21, 2014, 06:16:54 PM »

Thank you for digging this up. What a fascinating read!
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #109 on: June 21, 2014, 06:19:19 PM »

F. U.  :D

I am 51 and my best years are still ahead.

I am cheering for Michelle!

Terry Lavin

« Reply #110 on: June 21, 2014, 06:28:50 PM »

Confirmation bias?
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Gary Sato

« Reply #111 on: June 21, 2014, 06:46:59 PM »

Confirmation bias?

Perhaps I should have called it destiny instead of potential.

I'm pulling for Juli Inkster.  53 years old and who has announced this is her last US Open. 

David Lott

« Reply #112 on: June 21, 2014, 07:33:12 PM »
Look what the Tomcat dragged in.

A left for dead prodigy, leading the national championship.

It will be fun to see if she pulls it off.

It won't be for lack of guts if she fails.
David Lott

Terry Lavin

« Reply #113 on: June 21, 2014, 08:00:49 PM »
Inkster is awesome. That would be a great story, too. She is a grinder with real guts.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Joe Bausch

« Reply #114 on: June 21, 2014, 08:07:02 PM »
Inkster is awesome. That would be a great story, too. She is a grinder with real guts.

And I think she just turned 54.   ;)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #115 on: June 21, 2014, 09:12:03 PM »

I think they said her birthday is this coming Tuesday.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #116 on: June 21, 2014, 09:19:30 PM »

Bad on me for not fact checking!

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #117 on: June 21, 2014, 09:29:02 PM »

Wouldn't change the awesomeness of the story - if it happens.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #118 on: June 21, 2014, 09:32:56 PM »

Wouldn't change the awesomeness of the story - if it happens.

Paraphrasing Jessie "The Body" Ventura as a color guy for the WWF:  "She's a wily veteran, McMahon!"

Mike_Young

« Reply #119 on: June 21, 2014, 09:52:55 PM »
When I left the men's grill late afternoon all discussion was Inkster and Wie.  Most were pulling for Inkster and tryng to decide if Wie was doing her caddy.... ;D ;Dtrue story...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #120 on: June 21, 2014, 09:56:15 PM »
Wie is a great talent.  Obviously ESPN thinks so too, they showed every shot she made Thursday.
She should be there having qualified.  The Women's Open has become entertainment.  Entertainment is supposed to be the LPGA tour, not the US Open.

10 years on and I am still proud of my reply, #9, above.

What made the 11 year old's appearance special this year was that she earned it.  Michelle is a great talent, but was given too much too soon.  It has taken her a long time to figure out how to win.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

John Kirk

« Reply #121 on: June 22, 2014, 02:35:37 PM »
Michelle Wie has an early three shot lead.  Amy Yang off to a terrible start, four over on the first four holes.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #122 on: June 22, 2014, 03:00:11 PM »
Exemptions are a part of the professional golf experience, so if you defend one you can defend them all.

Last I checked she was an amateur.  If she's the bombed-out, dog-digiity that every one believes (including me - I think she's a brilliant talent) she could have easily qualified the old-fashioned way - by earning it.  Oh, but that would have interfered with her attempts to gain a Masters Invitation!

Again it all boils down to this, the tournament is our national championship, not the USGA's invitational.

As for Wie, I am astonished by her steadiness.  While she has yet to really go low, that will undoubtedly come as her short game continues to improve.  The amazing fact is that she rarely "goes high," as we might expect of someone with her limited experience and youthful age.  

I'm glad she's in the tournament, just unconvinced that her invitation was merited.

Mike

FIGJAM!

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

John Kirk

« Reply #123 on: June 22, 2014, 03:42:30 PM »
My wife has pointed out that Ms. Wie's attire would not be considered appropriate at pretty much every private club in America.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #124 on: June 22, 2014, 04:18:12 PM »
My wife has pointed out that Ms. Wie's attire would not be considered appropriate at pretty much every private club in America.

That rule is in effect to prevent women her age from wearing it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back