News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Sweeney

Re: Anybody want to complain about Michelle Wie?
« Reply #175 on: June 24, 2014, 06:13:16 AM »
I'm not saying I have a problem with her celebrating even more than is shown but the "role model" scene will come out....  a few sponsors might not like the "middle finger" scene.... :)

It sucks that kids today have to watch EVERYTHING they do. My guess is her friends were not malicious, just stupid. That girl deserved one night out, and goodness knows I had more than a few at that age....

Tony Ristola

« Reply #176 on: June 24, 2014, 07:06:39 AM »
When she kept getting invites to play with the men, I wasn't too keen on it.

Couldn't be happier for her winning the US Open.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #177 on: June 24, 2014, 10:12:52 AM »
Dave, do you think she could make some cuts on the men's tour?

Also, why is her average drive so short sometimes?  I've seen it in the 230s a couple times now.  Less even than the average for the women that day. 

Brent Hutto

« Reply #178 on: June 24, 2014, 10:17:45 AM »
Jim,

She hits driver less than anyone out there and many of her non-driver shots are designed to be fairly short (so-called "stingers" and the like). Even with a driver she has a shot or so per round that's throttled back.

For several years now it's looked like her entire game is built around a tee-shot strategy similar to what Tiger famously used at Hoylake (and many other times as well). Especially when a course is reasonably firm she's hardly ever swinging flat-out.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #179 on: June 24, 2014, 10:23:47 AM »
Brian,

How many years would you be willing be see someone fail to win anything meaningful (majors or the other biggest non-major events) before starting to wonder if their "talent" was illusory. There's the "talent" to hit the ball a long way and the "talent" to play funky shots but neither of those is the "talent" that matters. Winning majors and winning lots of regular Tour events is the only measure of "talent" for a touring professional golfer.

In my estimation, right up to the start of this season Michelle Wie's manifest talents in ball-striking were closer to Moe Norman than Tiger Woods. Absent wins, eventually one must question whether the ability to win is truly present. Sounds like Annika was a year or so premature. But that's hindsight.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #180 on: June 24, 2014, 10:26:41 AM »
Michelle is on with Dan Patrick Show now.  It is a very good interview.  Check for the podcast.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Jim Nugent

« Reply #181 on: June 24, 2014, 10:29:33 AM »
Brian, yes I remember that.  She came a stroke or two from making two PGA cuts, when she 14 and 15.  I'm wondering:

a) is her game better now?  

b) is she long enough to play the men's courses?

c) is she accurate enough to hit driver, or would she be forced to hit 240 yard stingers on 7300 yard courses?

I'm also curious if she still has any interest in playing the men.  If she could be competitive there -- if she could make some cuts -- I think it would increase interest in both tours.  

Seems like she still is prone to some real big scores when she's in contention.  Cool that she overcame it this time.  

Jason Thurman

« Reply #182 on: June 24, 2014, 10:31:14 AM »
Dave, do you think she could make some cuts on the men's tour?

Jim, she missed the cut at one of the tourneys, was it Sony?, when the girl was about 15 years old. Does that answer your question?

She shot a 68 in one round and missed the cut by two strokes. As a teenage girl. I don't think there's any question she COULD make some cuts on the men's tour. I just don't think she could do it consistently enough to keep a card. I'd be surprised if she never plays another men's event though.

She's been in the public eye for so long and through so many social and political infractions that we forget she's only 24. If no one had heard of her until two years ago, Annika's comments would have been very different. Her ceiling is still virtually limitless.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #183 on: June 24, 2014, 10:37:05 AM »

I'm also curious if she still has any interest in playing the men.  If she could be competitive there -- if she could make some cuts -- I think it would increase interest in both tours.  

She just said on the DP Show that it is very unlikely she will ever try to compete again vs the men.

George Pazin

« Reply #184 on: June 24, 2014, 01:31:50 PM »

She's been in the public eye for so long and through so many social and political infractions that we forget she's only 24. If no one had heard of her until two years ago, Annika's comments would have been very different. Her ceiling is still virtually limitless.

Agree. Although I never quite understood why so many out there seemed to be willing her to fail.

Envy, plain and simple.

As for Annika, she's no different from most; she simply misread Wie, as did many or most. The talent's there, it's always been there; it's other things that have been missing.

Hope they have been permanently found...
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Brent Hutto

« Reply #185 on: June 24, 2014, 02:14:09 PM »
Do you guys think it's more complicated than "her putting was really poor"? I'll admit not to having watched much women's golf or followed all the ups and downs of her career to date. But watching her play this year in Hawaii, at the Nabisco and again this week she putts worlds better than I'd ever seen her putt. Even when she was a kid she didn't putt as well and fearlessly as most child phenoms seem to. But now she has it nailed down pretty darned solid (at least these past few months).

Joe Bausch

« Reply #186 on: June 24, 2014, 02:40:18 PM »
Do you guys think it's more complicated than "her putting was really poor"? I'll admit not to having watched much women's golf or followed all the ups and downs of her career to date. But watching her play this year in Hawaii, at the Nabisco and again this week she putts worlds better than I'd ever seen her putt. Even when she was a kid she didn't putt as well and fearlessly as most child phenoms seem to. But now she has it nailed down pretty darned solid (at least these past few months).

Brent,

I do think that putting is a huge part of her recent resurgence.  I'm a believer that poor putting puts stress on the rest of the game.  And, conversely, knowing you can make 10 footers more often somehow lowers the stress on the iron game, which lowers the stress on the tee game, etc.   :)

Joe Bausch

« Reply #187 on: June 24, 2014, 02:42:31 PM »
Here is her appearance today on the Dan Patrick Show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQb4fMOLoHo

Phil McDade

« Reply #188 on: June 24, 2014, 03:18:15 PM »

Brent,

I do think that putting is a huge part of her recent resurgence.  I'm a believer that poor putting puts stress on the rest of the game.  And, conversely, knowing you can make 10 footers more often somehow lowers the stress on the iron game, which lowers the stress on the tee game, etc.   :)

I think she plays smarter now. Maybe that's what happens when you get a degree from Stanford and get older. ;D

Seriously, I think her course management is much better; she doesn't automatically reach for the driver, plays smart shots into greens, puts herself in positions where getting out of trouble isn't all that problematic. I looked up her stats for the year on the LPGA Tour, and although I view with some skepticism on the use of stats to evaluate players, she's at or near the top of the tour in GIRs -- which, to my way of thinking, means she's managing her game well. She's at a minimum putting herself in position (meaning, on the green) where birdies are possible and bogies are less likely. And her ability to hit a lot of greens means she's putting herself in position off the tee where she's able to reach a lot of greens. That's good course management.

Did she have a really good week of putting? Sure -- anyone who doesn't three-putt at a U.S. Open had a very good week on the greens. But her year-long consistency suggests she's improved that part of her game as well.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #189 on: June 24, 2014, 05:41:33 PM »
I wish Payne could have made this party.  Wie is the only golfer alive worth watching.

http://bustedcoverage.com/2014/06/23/michelle-wie-partied-twerked-last-night-after-winning-u-s-open/

Tabletopping: works on every hole including the 19th.

Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back