News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

The Guardian Speaks...
« on: June 21, 2004, 09:36:12 PM »

Mike Nuzzo

Re:The Guardian Speaks...
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 10:58:57 PM »
I've been waiting for a reason to try this myself...

http://tinyurl.com/2qjss

Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2004, 11:19:58 PM »
I think Mr. Davies hit the nail on the head, writing something like: it's too bad Shinnecock 2004 will be remembered for the year the USGA lost it.

There are those with contrary opinions, sure. But Mr. Davies' will undoubtedly be the general consensus. If for no other reason than that the majority of golf writers have written similar post-Open pieces.

Again, it's too bad. Simply because Shinnecock is so good.
jeffmingay.com

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 09:13:37 AM »
[qoute]The US Golf Association has in the past been charged with many grievous acts against those with the temerity to enter its Open championship. They have frequently produced wrist-breaking rough and hit-and-hope collars of grass around the greens, but last week they excelled themselves.
The last day of the 104th US Open featured greens so firm and so fast they were, in essence, impossible to pitch to and putt on. A player had to be imperturbable to survive and in Retief Goosen they found the very man.

Excelled? Implies he liked it, but not the post coverage of the media?

Impossible? Beg to differ. Who won, and how many skins on sunday? Maggert? Someone, one on every hole, I'd guess, showed how possible it was.

danrobson

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 12:50:29 PM »
Excelled? Implies he liked it, but not the post coverage of the media?

He is saying that the USGA managed to make the course set-up even more extreme than usual. He is not saying that he likes their approach.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 12:58:04 PM »
Whatever he meant, the set-up was diametrically opposed on the issue of wrist breaking rough and the typical Open set-up. With a thousand journalists, they have to have something to write about, no matter how mis-leading. I guess if could bleed, it leads.  
The skins were two. One to the low am on #6 and the other to Steve Flesch  on #10.  Among the 66 golfers, there were many birdies. Not as many as the Hope Classic. It was not impossible.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back