News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam_F_Collins

Re:Landscape architecture and golf architecture?
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2004, 05:02:36 PM »
Carlyle - interesting stuff, regarding dunes, their formation and particularly the mathematical formula for verification of proper form. (Is this formula widely available-because it certainly doesn't appear to be widely known or implemented...)

Programs which teach landscape designers about the origins and conditions which create natural forms certainly seem like interesting ones.

To me, it seems like modern golf courses seem more like a distinct style of garden than an imitation of anything natural. (Garden Styles: Persian, Japanese, Formal English, Italian, Cottage Style....Golf.)

Just think about how they look from the air. They have this distinct, smooth, green, bumpy-bubbly look with sand craters.

The Old Course doesn't look that way at all...which is nice.

Jeff_Brauer

Re:Landscape architecture and golf architecture?
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2004, 05:23:52 PM »
Bruce,

I went to University of Illinois, and then went back there to teach a golf design studio later. I had a Rutgers student  (Ed Lubinecki, if you knew him by chance when you were there) there who used phrases like "Modulation of Exterior Spaces" which was different vernacular than we were used to in the Midwest.

After he got done with his little speech, my only comment was:

"Modulation of exterior space?  You MUST be a grad student....."
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back