News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ForkaB

Re:Shinnecock, The Pros & Width - Praised or Panned ?
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2004, 10:01:33 AM »
The European clubs let people come and play their courses the way they do because they want and need the money--believe me, I know, because I specifically asked a number of them over there about that. If they didn't need the money they'd do the same thing Shinnecock does.

Tom P

You have been woefully misinformed (or, more probably, have misinterpreted what people have said to you, or maybe even have had your leg pulled....) when you state the above.  The facts are that the members of places like Royal County Down and Muirfield and Sunningdale "need the money" about as much as do the members of Shinnecock, Cypress Point or even Gulph MIlls.

They share their courses with non-members (on their terms) because they think it is right and and good for the game of golf and they want to.  The small amounts of money generated from doing so (relative to the members' capacity to pay) is just serendipity.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2004, 12:06:15 PM »
Well said Rich, members from the top UK clubs aren't short of a bob or two!  

And the reasoning that the GB&I clubs open their doors simply to keep their dues low, is nonsense too.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 12:07:46 PM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Brian Phillips

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2004, 12:10:45 PM »
Tom P,

I don't know who has told you that but they are wrong..

Don't tell that me Valderrama needs cash or Muirfield or Royal County Down or Sunningdale or Barsebeck or Wentworth or whatever...most of these courses are so old that they have a very good economy...

Brian
« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 12:20:32 PM by Brian Phillips »
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Brian Phillips

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2004, 12:21:35 PM »
Brian Gracely,

You're aware that your suggestion to return the fairways to original widths for the weekend can't succeed from an agronomic and playability perspective, aren't you ?

Pat,

Could you please explain why from an agronomic perspective it wouldn't be possible?

Thanks

Brian
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

TEPaul

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2004, 01:40:59 PM »
"Tom P,
I don't know who has told you that but they are wrong.."

Rich and Brian:

I'm sorry to shatter your assumptions and naivety about that but I'm most definitely not wrong. At RCD and RPR (and a few others) I had a good hour's conversation at lunch and dinner and afterwards and on the golf course with a number of those who run those clubs. They were serious conversations with a number of them about the philosophy and mechanics of it all.

Some of them very well may have as much or more money than anyone over here in comparable clubs but they explained in a general sense members of Euro clubs simply don't spend that kind of money on carrying their clubs---and there's an anciliary reason for that I'm not going to go into here and now (that they explained to me).

The capper came at RCD when a central member of that club explained occasionally they reach their pre-determined limit ($s) early and at that point the doors are closed to outsiders tighter than anything you've seen over here!

I'm tired of some of you pounding on some American clubs as elitists and snobs and claiming what you just did about all Euro clubs and even some where I had a very long and detailed discussion on this subject which I believe I can almost guarantee you never have.

So don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. I know the truth and details of it a whole lot better than you do. And then last year in England I had the same long and detailed conversations on this very subject again, and was told precisely the same thing. Last year as they explained this to me they all (at more than one club) wanted to know something from me in return. They wanted me to tell them how we felt over here about what they called "That Woman"!

So fellows, you can lose that naivete about inherent European club egalitarianism and altuism to outsiders because it's basically a myth or a misperception. I hate to tell you but fundamentally it's all about economics, not some innate European democratic club spirit!

« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 01:43:45 PM by TEPaul »

Paul_Turner

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2004, 01:48:34 PM »
Tom

You are wrong.

The income from green fees is valuable.  But I can think of dozens of clubs that have relatively little income from visitors (compared with the big clubs you list).  And they keep their doors open.

Golf is simply more egalitarian in GB&I.  The private clubs in the US were always very exclusive, right from the start.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2004, 02:00:00 PM »
In addition.  The big clubs have had open door for decades; long before the popularity of golf tourism from the US...  It's a cultural difference which is specific to golf at private clubs.

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2004, 02:01:46 PM »
Guys, I think both sides are generalizing a little too broadly.  Even members of the most elite clubs here in the states have be welcoming to those who show an interest in the course, its history and architecture (this means you Tom Paul  ;D).  Similarly, I don't think the folks at Painswick who treated the GCA group with such courtesy and generosity were motivated only by money.  Painswick may not be an elitist club (I have no idea), but I can't see how the spirit of those folks doesn't mean something.  You can certainly talk about the policies at specific clubs, but trying to generalize is unfortunate.

Jeff Goldman  
That was one hellacious beaver.

TEPaul

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2004, 02:15:48 PM »
"Tom

You are wrong.
The income from green fees is valuable.  But I can think of dozens of clubs that have relatively little income from visitors (compared with the big clubs you list).  And they keep their doors open."

Paul:

You're just like Rich on this subject and although you don't seem to be so critical of American clubs and so praiseworthy of Euro clubs this way, as is Rich, which makes me enjoy lancing his smugness all the more, I'm definitely not wrong about this and I'm afraid you are.

These number of conversations I had over there with these people in those clubs was firstly all completely consistent and even addressed a remark you just made here.

There're plenty of clubs (probably those like that dozen you mentioned) that don't have the amount of outside play income that the larger and more prestigous and famous courses mentioned have and still keep their doors open to outsiders as you said! Of course they do---they practically advertize their open doors to some! They don't have the amount of outside play income simply because they're not as much in demand for it as the more famous ones are.

The conversation I had at one of those significant clubs even got around to this odd point here. They basically said in no uncertain terms they do this to defray their own individual clubs cost (and those of their fellow members who may not be so well heeled) and not because they're a bunch of democratic club egalitarians and altruists. So I asked; "Well, if you aren't so egalitarian why do you want to appear that way?"

One of them looked at me and laughed and said:"Why do you think?" I said, " I have no idea". He said: "Why not, we look like nice egalitarians and that perception keeps the demand up and the income from outside play coming."

Paul, again, that's precisely why the more well known clubs have more of that kind of income than the lesser known ones.

They even explained how their rather formal introduction process of the club secretary and all looks like a combination of formal exclusivity and egalitarianism at the same time--sort of a nice combined touch. Those clever dudes are sort of playing a general cultural thing based on economics and making it look like democratic egalitarianism!

My God, I knew you fellows were naive, but I didn't think you were that naive---even some of your own countrymen have you snowed!

"Golf is simply more egalitarian in GB&I. The private clubs in the US were always very exclusive, right from the start."

Right Paul! Some of those fellows who really do run those clubs over there ought to come over here and teach some of our politicians the art of persuasion and image--because they're a whole lot better at it over there than we are here! That much I'll honestly say for them. I admire that--they're clever!    ;)

But you're right about one thing, Paul, An awful lot of American clubs always were really exclusive---but the reasons were always the same--they wanted to be because they didn't mind paying for it!

In Europe, golf and the clubs are so old it just didn't evolve that way. A number of the really old courses had club structures with courses that almost had to be democratic. We virtually have nothing here where golf courses are on town "common" ground (an inherently "must-do" democratic structure) and we virutally have no clubs here who share a golf course with other clubs. That's unheard of in America!

Everything just evolved differently over there being so old and with that evolution of apparent democracy the economic realities today are easier to couch in a democratic veneer. But the reality of it is just as those who run those clubs I talked to say it is.

Rich actually said they were 'pulling my leg'. I think this is funny, particularly whose pulling whose leg---and he lives there?   ;)

« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 02:38:56 PM by TEPaul »

Brian Phillips

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2004, 02:23:18 PM »
I'm sorry to shatter your assumptions and naivety about that but I'm most definitely not wrong. At RCD and RPR (and a few others) I had a good hour's conversation at lunch and dinner and afterwards and on the golf course with a number of those who run those clubs. They were serious conversations with a number of them about the philosophy and mechanics of it all.

So Tom, from a few conversations with people over lunch you can now answer for the WHOLE of Europe on how our golf courses are run...

Have you been to Barsebeck? Have you been to Valderramma?  Have you been to Wentworth?  Have you been to Sunningdale?  Your whole theory is based on talking to senior members of a handful of clubs..lets be generous to you lets say 10.  So you generalise the WHOLE of Europe on these conversations.

I know of two clubs in Norway that do NOT not need visitors but hold their doors open because they have to, to be a member of the Norwegian Golf Union, not because they NEED the money.

I never went on about anything in America, never accused anyone of anything, I just said your sources are wrong about Europe...just because your friends gave you certain info about their own clubs doesn't mean that is the same for other clubs around Europe, you are generalising to extremes...
The main reason is that greenfees are a bonus to the club and of course this also helps keeps the members yearly subs down, not because the clubs NEED the money.

Your quote about the RCD member stating that doors close when they reach a limit sounds like rubbish to me..what do they do if 50 tee times are booked in November but they reach their quota in September...ring everyone and cancel all those booked tee times?

Brian
« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 02:40:48 PM by Brian Phillips »

TEPaul

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2004, 03:02:16 PM »
Brian:

My God are you naive! I didn't say every club in Europe opened their doors but an enormous number of them do. I'm fairly aware of those that don't. Basically they just look at their clubs and their privacy the way a good number of American clubs do--they don't mind paying for their privacy!

People who were captains of the R&A and a member of a really famous golf club who's had a good deal to do with running that club just might know and understand this philosophy and the reasons for it a lot better than you do. If you choose not to believe it--then fine--just live with the myth and the misperception as long as you want.

What's this about cancelling out outside play? Why do that? Most every club budgets for the year. What they do is budget X amount of income in outside unaccompanied play and when they reach that amount of booked outside play they don't book any more. Is that so hard to understand? Why do they need to call somebody up and cancel them out? All they do is tell them they're booked up---and in a way they are--because they've closed their doors for the year or fiscal year or whatever! Don't believe that either if you don't want to---I don't care--I guess a number of those people in those clubs independently just dreamed all that up for my entertainment.

Some club in Norway doesn't need the income but they do it so they can be part of the Norwegian Golf Union? Well, good for them---they sort of have to don't they then? The USGA or the American regional golf associations haven't yet gotten around to telling any golf club I know of that they can't belong to those associations unless they allow X amount of outside play!

Basically, there're some federal and state income statutes over here that limit outside income to about 15% of the total and if that's exceeded the club is in danger of losing it's so-called "privacy status" that changes things dramatically like taxes, easements, OSHA, you name it.

It's just different over here than over there and some of you guys who constantly try to make all American private clubs look like a bunch of snobs and elitists and those over there like a bunch of egalitarians are just full of shit!

But the funniest thing to me is even some of you guys who live there don't understand what's really going on over there!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 03:09:18 PM by TEPaul »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2004, 03:31:12 PM »
Brian Phillips,

I know that you already know the answer.
Taking 4-6 inch rough to tight fairway overnight, in the summer, could shock the plant, irreparably, and, to expect idenitical playing surfaces in the newly mown areas the next morning would be unrealistic.

Paul Turner, Rich Goodale, et. al.,

I'm sure you understand the difference in the legal climate in the US versus the UK.  

Many jurisdictions enforce or dictate membership quotas, and should a club exceed those quotas they would fall into the
"public" arena, subject to the laws affecting public facilities in those jurisdictions.

You should also know that the Judge in the Haverhill case ruled that unaccompanied guests were a form of membership class, and as such, that increased number of "members" pushed Haverhill over the threshold from strictly private to public, making the club "public" and subject to the laws affecting public facilities.

While the cultural differences may be a factor, the legal climate in the U.S. is so dramatically different that it precludes open access.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 03:38:41 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Jeff_Lewis

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2004, 05:12:58 PM »
Just came off the golf course.  Word around Shinnecock is that the set up is actually easier than 9 years ago. Fairways are wider. I did not feel terribly claustrophobic out there. This is certainly NOT a Carnoustie type screwup as far as the USGA goes. Not even close.

TEPaul

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2004, 05:25:29 PM »
JeffL:

I agree with you. We went up there on Friday (a very rainy day) but the fairways didn't look all that narrow (actually we saw a fairway width sheet) and the secondary rough had just been cut down. I hope from now on the rain holds off and the course starts to really firm up.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 05:26:10 PM by TEPaul »

HamiltonBHearst

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2004, 05:49:48 PM »

Mr. Paul

I guess it is you who is an elitist snob that belongs to elitist snob clubs. ;)  Hasn't stopped many from calling you for access to the elitist snob clubs has it. ;D

TEPaul

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2004, 06:08:55 PM »
"Mr. Paul
I guess it is you who is an elitist snob that belongs to elitist snob clubs."

Hamilton:

What is it that makes you say that?

"Hasn't stopped many from calling you for access to the elitist snob clubs has it."  

I don't really know. What would you say "many" would be? But there's a difference there from what I've been talking about here although I don't know if you know what that is.

So what the hell, I'll be happy to tell you in the name of egalitarian understanding. Maybe some have called me and I've taken them out as a guest. Frankly, I don't know that I know a club in the world who prohibits members from having guests.

There is a difference, though, between that and clubs that allow strangers to call or write the club and come and play the course unaccompanied or unsponsored by a member. There aren't all that many private clubs in the US I know of that have that policy but a large number of the European clubs seem to allow that--not all but a large number.

Does pointing that out make me an elitist snob and the clubs I'm speaking of in the US elitist snob clubs?

TEPaul

« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2004, 06:27:20 PM »
Pat:

I'm sorry about all this. Snobbery and eltisim, European vs American clubs surely is a very long way from Shinnecock's fairway widths! So if it's OK with my completely misinformed friends across the Atlantic why don't we all go back to a subject they may be capable of measuring?   ;)

Paul_Turner

« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2004, 06:27:23 PM »
Tom

The open door policy at British and Irish clubs was in place at the beginning of the C20th, just read Darwin's books.   You don't read any caveats explaining that you cannot play unless acompanied by a member.  You can also read the other guidebooks of the time (Nesbitt 1910...) and see that the clubs were open to visitor play...the green fee is listed and directions are included.  Many of these clubs were NEW (not ancient) clubs in 1910.

The policy by a club like Shinnecock is the norm over here, not the exception.

Calling me naive??  I've played hundreds of these private UK clubs and been a member if a couple too, so I'm well aware of their membership policies.

The policies for both countries were set long ago.  And yes, the famous GB and I clubs are now benefiting from the golf tourism boom of the last 20 years.  

So, Tom, to imply that these clubs are only keeping their doors open for the cash, is simply wrong and ignores the historical reality.

PS

99% of Private clubs in GB&I are open door.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 06:38:17 PM by Paul_Turner »

TEPaul

« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2004, 07:13:18 PM »
Paul:

I don't disagree with a thing you say in that last post and haven't yet on this thread, except for the underlying reason it continues to be done--or even was done initially in many or most all of them. The fact that there are a number of well known exceptions in Europe frankly just proves my point and that of those I spoke with.

I understand exactly how many clubs and the philosophy of their open door policy evolved in Europe as almost a philosophy, albeit probably always economic an one--just read the last half of my post #35. Such things as common land and the original ancient courses onit and other differences in Europe obviously started some of that openness apart for a club that uses a European golf course and it continues today. That latter was never heard of in America and has virtually never existed.

I just think it's funny when a guy like Rich Goodale tells me that the conversations I had with those that basically run a number of significant clubs in Europe are pulling my leg during a long and detailed conversation on this subject of both their clubs and European golf generally this way when compared to the USA. And for anyone on here to actually suggest they don't know what they're talking about is preposterous.

So is saying they like the money but don't need it. They certainly do like the money and let's just say they more than admit they're used to it for the very reasons you suggest---it's basically always been that way over there. But that doesn't mean it must remain that way and the upshot of what I got from some honest discussion about this over there is they do it because it's very much an economic thing and certainly not some inherent European democratic egalitarianism, as you suggest. It's just not that hard to notice over there sometimes that many of them wished this type of thing just didn't have to be regardless of how long its been going on.

Some American clubs don't exactly get into that type of thing but they do it in another form---that of the member sponsored unaccompanied guest play. I saw that at Seminole through my Dad. Just before he stepped off that board and soon after out of the club because he was getting too old and stopped playing he was amazed and quite pleased at the revenue they generated by sponsored but unaccompanied play.

He said as far as he could see the club didn't really want the outside play and certainly didn't have to have it for the money but they were just amazed what started happening and the incredible revenue it could generate if they wanted it. If my Dad brought a guest there and played with him the green fee was something like $25. But for unaccompanied but member sponsored play they just kept upping and upping that green fee and the demand just wouldn't stop. It got to be a ridiculous differential--really astounding and the demand just wouldn't stop. Most elastic fee I've ever heard of at a club. I don't know what they've done in recent years but that was pretty interesting. But they never did change the requirement that a member had to actually sponsor every unaccompanied player even if they'd never laid eyes on the guy.

That part is very different in Europe. And if you guys are trying to tell me that's just good old human egalitarianism and not economic I'm going tell you you're very naive---particularly after what some of those Europeans who know and understand European golf and run those clubs too told me!

And frankly, I think it's a wonderful truth, particularly after a number of people on here kept saying what a bunch of snobs and elitists some of these American clubs are.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 07:24:24 PM by TEPaul »

Paul_Turner

« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2004, 08:46:50 PM »
Tom

It's a mixture of economics and wanting to share the course with others, that was instilled a long time ago: particularly in Scotland.  But if the few famous clubs (that you're familiar with) see this now as purely economic, then I'm really sorry to hear that.  It wasn't like that when I last played those courses 10 or so years ago...just shows what too much money can do.

Read the books by Darwin, Dickinson, Allen, Rowlinson... and you can tell that these clubs enjoy(ed) sharing their course with visitors.  They weren't grudgingly accomodated (unlike a friend of mine who was invited to Seminole, but told to wait in Macdonalds because his sponsor was late!).

I do agree that the difference probably lies with ancient land access rights (in GB&I) and the subsequent difference in attitude towards land access.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 08:47:15 PM by Paul_Turner »

TEPaul

« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2004, 11:57:00 PM »
Paul:

Ok, so now it's a mixture of things, huh? Whatever you say. Seminole actually asked a guest to wait in a Macdonald's until his host got to the club? That's shocking, unforgivable, trailer trash type stuff! Didn't their mamas teach them any damn manners?   ;)

I'll give you one thing about those Euros whatever their real reasons for their open door policy---they have a helluva lot more natural style than we do over here---most of them anyway!

Doug Siebert

« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2004, 12:39:54 AM »
Guys, I think both sides are generalizing a little too broadly.  Even members of the most elite clubs here in the states have be welcoming to those who show an interest in the course, its history and architecture (this means you Tom Paul  ;D).    

That may be true in some cases, but clubs in the US seem to take pride in being so exclusive no one can get on the course.  They look to ANGC for their example of what they want to be like.  Some of the worst offenders are the newer clubs, because their members feel they need to somehow justify the exorbitant fees they paid to join by being able to brag to their friends and acquiantances just how very exclusive their club that few people outside their state have ever heard of -- they try to play up the reason no one has heard of it is because of how exclusive and under the radar it is!

So maybe what you say is true in some cases, but I'll bet you still have to know someone at the club at least in passing, or be a member at another club they'd regard as worthy.  I doubt I could send a polite letter to Pine Valley, NGLA, or SFGC and tell them how interested I am in architecture and want to view their course's mostly untouched original MacDonaldness or whatever and get on the course.  I'd probably be lucky to get a polite reply, most likely I'd be ignored (even if I didn't use the word "MacDonaldness" :))  If I could say something like "I played with one of your members last fall at a Crenshaw/Coore course in Nebraska, and Mr. XXX and I discussed architecture over a few beers and his neverending praise for your course made me extremely eager to see it" then I could maybe get on, but not with a 'cold call'.

I'd probably have better luck using the ANGC membership list that leaked last year and sending a polite letter to each one that's over 75 implying that we'd met at a stockholder's meeting a few years ago and had been told that I should look him up if I ever wanted to play it.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

ForkaB

« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2004, 03:58:53 AM »
TE Paul

I'm going more and more with the "leg pulling" theory........

After two brief visits to the UK, you seem to know more about what's going on here than those of use who have spent a good portion of our life here, and probably know more posh Club Captains and R&A members than you ever will.  Now that is naivete!  Or even.....chutzpah!

As for the words "snob" and "elitist," you are the only one who uses them on this forum (and on this thread).  Try to elevate the tone of your conversation, young man!

All I and Paul and Brian are trying to say is that things are different in Europe and (to us, at least) more in the Spirit of the game of golf.  Re-read Paul's posts and you will learn most of the reasons why.  You may still wish to argue.  So be it.

Brian Phillips

« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2004, 05:27:42 AM »

As for the words "snob" and "elitist," you are the only one who uses them on this forum (and on this thread).  Try to elevate the tone of your conversation, young man!

Tom,

I agree with Rich, none of us ever use those words or even imply them.  I was a member of Tidworth Golf Club when I was in the Army.  It is owned by the Armed Forces but is still a private club.  They don't need the money for anything and still allow greenfee visitors.  It is just the accepted thing in Britain.  It is the done thing... :)

Rich has been a member of Dornoch for god knows how long, he has also been a member in other Scottish clubs as well as Paul T has as well, yet you choose to ignore your friends word and instead listen to members of clubs that gave you from what I can gather is 'opinion'.  Why do you choose to ignore friends who not only have lived in the country you are talking about but also have memberships in Europe and GB&I?

Mark Rowlinson where are you when we need you...

Brian

TEPaul

« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2004, 06:29:41 AM »
Brian;

I'm glad to accept the word on these things from my friends on the other side of the Atlantic. I was simply telling you about what I consider some very interesting discussions on this very subject from others I've known on the other side who frankly are very fine people and knowledgeable to say the least on the world of golf in Europe, most of them older men. It probably isn't such a big difference between you and them, other than the perhaps the general reason for it today or perhaps always. If I ask you all why it's done that way in Europe you say because it's always been done that way and European clubs are generally democratic to outsiders and egalitarian about it. To hear them discuss it they wouldn't disagree with what you say they only mentioned all that is basically done for economic reasons within those clubs and perhaps it's always been that way. And I'm glad to hear you all in Europe don't think American clubs are made up of a bunch of snobs and elitists fixated on privacy, just that things are done differently over here.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 06:31:20 AM by TEPaul »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back