News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Re: Most Embarrassing Golf Club You Ever Owned...
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2010, 12:05:01 AM »

Bump

Chris Flamion

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2010, 12:25:14 AM »
10 iron, not a Pitching Wedge a 10 iron.....best part was it was part of a Callaway set that had a true Pitching Wedge.

Also had a bubble shaft on a persimmon 9 wood when i was about 14, it was sexy.

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2010, 12:41:50 AM »
Who could forget these beauties:

Alien Wedge

Big Bertha Putter

The Intimidator

Diamond Faced Scoring Wedge

The Bassackwards Putter (took me a WHILE to find that one)

The Perfect Club

Tim Bert

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2010, 01:05:09 AM »
A good friend's dad was playing the Power Pod well into the 90s. He could pound the heck out of the ball with that club. He tried to replace it with the over-sized Yonex driver but that just wasn't the same.  And I only got to see him play post back surgery when he was using things like 15 and 17 woods instead of short irons and wedges.  Would have loved to see him play back when he could make a full turn. 

Casey Wade

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2010, 08:23:45 AM »
Pal Joey wedge with no grooves.  Had a milled face.  Great out of the fairway but brutal out of the rough.

I also had Haig Ultra irons with aluminum shafts in high school.  Had to switch them out when they got brittle and the head was flying farther than the ball.
Some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2010, 08:48:10 AM »
My Marilyn Smith 5 -wood as a bit embarrassing considering I was an assistant pro using a woman's club.   Even when I explained that Jug McSpadden had changed the loft to 13 degrees it still was embarrassing...that was in '67.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Ken Moum

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2010, 09:01:58 AM »
10 iron, not a Pitching Wedge a 10 iron.....best part was it was part of a Callaway set that had a true Pitching Wedge.

IMHO that was a better reflection of what "modern" irons are than calling a 43* club a pitching wedge. At least that set of Callaways was honest about the fact that it had jacked-up lofts.

When the first King Cobras delivered a 45* PW, it was a dark day for the average player, who couldn't hit a one iron when it was 20* and now can't hit three iron that's the same loft.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

jonathan_becker

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2010, 09:04:52 AM »
Mine isn't a club, but embarassing to the max.  

When I first started playing at 14, I had a ball retriever in my bag.  One of the asst pros at the club where I played saw me using it over by the creek on #18.  He raced over in a cart and said, "You'll never be taken seriously as a golfer with a ball retriever!!"  "You either can get the ball with one of your own clubs or you leave it!!"

That was the last day it was ever in my bag.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2010, 09:39:55 AM »
From way back in high school days, I still have an old Ping Cushin putter that I have painted two alignment aids, added a lot of lead tape and 1/4" of tape to the grip.

I still use it.

TEPaul

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2010, 10:04:37 AM »
Interesting and funny question indeed.

I'm not sure if this one should be considered embarrassing but it is sort of funny or a bit odd at least.

When I began to play good golf and lots of scratch tournament golf I came across an old club in the attic of my Dad's house in Florida. My Dad was a really good player and he'd worked for Spalding in the 1950s and 1960s and one of his assignments was to work with all the LPGA players on the Spalding staff and there were a lot of them.

So I pulled this little 6 wood that was painted sort of baby blue out of his attic one day and tried it out. It was amazing----I could move the ball around with it, hit it really high and light up to about 210----and basically more than any golf club I've ever had I just felt like I couldn't miss it and pretty much never did. Talk about maximum reliability----that little baby blue 6 wood was it!

I asked my Dad where it came from and he told me he got it from LPGA tour pro Mary Lena Falk for some reason he couldn't really remember.

I used that club for about decade. It was my go-to club from around that distance and then one day in the middle of a match in the Philadelphia Amateur I hit a shot with it from the fairway and the ball came off beautifully as always but unfortunately the entire head of that wonderful little baby blue woman's 6-wood exploded into about a thousand pieces.   :'(  :-*

PCCraig

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2010, 10:20:25 AM »
Back in the late 90's I went through periods where I had both an Adams Tight Lies and an Orlimar Tri Metal woods in the bag. The first and only time I sold out to the infomercial crowd. But I have to say they sold millions of clubs because they really were solid sticks!
H.P.S.

PThomas

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2010, 11:30:39 AM »
Interesting and funny question indeed.

I'm not sure if this one should be considered embarrassing but it is sort of funny or a bit odd at least.

When I began to play good golf and lots of scratch tournament golf I came across an old club in the attic of my Dad's house in Florida. My Dad was a really good player and he'd worked for Spalding in the 1950s and 1960s and one of his assignments was to work with all the LPGA players on the Spalding staff and there were a lot of them.

So I pulled this little 6 wood that was painted sort of baby blue out of his attic one day and tried it out. It was amazing----I could move the ball around with it, hit it really high and light up to about 210----and basically more than any golf club I've ever had I just felt like I couldn't miss it and pretty much never did. Talk about maximum reliability----that little baby blue 6 wood was it!

I asked my Dad where it came from and he told me he got it from LPGA tour pro Mary Lena Falk for some reason he couldn't really remember.

I used that club for about decade. It was my go-to club from around that distance and then one day in the middle of a match in the Philadelphia Amateur I hit a shot with it from the fairway and the ball came off beautifully as always but unfortunately the entire head of that wonderful little baby blue woman's 6-wood exploded into about a thousand pieces.   :'(  :-*

i think Trevino used a 6 wood for awhile Tom, so you were in good company!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2010, 11:37:04 AM »
When i first started playing i shanked my irons so bad, i hit every shot over 100 yards with a 5w I had.

It was a funny site to see me on a 125 yard par 3, hitting a 5w.   ;D

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2010, 11:44:11 AM »
I've never owned a bad club; I've got a thing about good equipment.

BUT:
In my hall closet are two different Momentus heavy clubs, a Medicus 5 iron, and worst of all by far, a Klassey SwingMagic club with the split grip that slides up and down the handle.

After all of that, I still have the same homemade swing I started with, and the same ball flight, etc.  But at one moment, I thought each of them would propel me toward the opportunity to be REALLY good!
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2010, 11:47:50 AM »
I've never owned a bad club; I've got a thing about good equipment.

BUT:
In my hall closet are two different Momentus heavy clubs, a Medicus 5 iron, and worst of all by far, a Klassey SwingMagic club with the split grip that slides up and down the handle.

After all of that, I still have the same homemade swing I started with, and the same ball flight, etc.  But at one moment, I thought each of them would propel me toward the opportunity to be REALLY good!

Wait!  I take it back!  I used (and still own) a steel shafted Ping Zing2 seven wood.  Got the club when they came out around '92 or so, and used it until just a couple of years ago when hybrids got so good. 

That was one butt-ugly club, but I knew exactly how far I was going to hit it, and I could hit a high draw off any lie known to man.  I got the club signed (along with my old laminated Ping 3 wood) by John Solheim about a year ago. 
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Joe Bausch

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2010, 11:48:55 AM »
Dear JakaB,

Has to be that 15th club, the extra driver in my bag, back at the Open Championship.

Sincerely,
Ian Woosnam
==============
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Ed Oden

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2010, 11:51:39 AM »
I once had a Ties Lies knock off called the Loose Truth.

TEPaul

« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2010, 11:52:11 AM »
"i think Trevino used a 6 wood for awhile Tom, so you were in good company!"

Paul:

Yeah, but I bet Trevino's wasn't a baby blue 6-wood he inherited off an LPGA tour player.  ;)

Speaking of that there's that wonderful story that I believe appeared in a golf magazine some years ago when Fred Couples picked a 3 wood out of the trunk of Tom Watson's car and asked him if he could try it out. Tom said fine and Fred loved it and used it to great success for about a year until Tom finally couldn't take it anymore and he told Freddie it was his wife's 3 wood. Of course after that it became impossible for Freddie to hit it decently.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2010, 02:13:07 PM »
My 1st set of irons were hand me own Kro-Flite blades.  A great shot with a 5 iron would o 150 yards as the sweet spot was the size of a pea.  I then moved up to Spaulding Executive Irons.

My current irons are at least 15 years old.  The woods have been upgraded, I have 2 hybrids a lob wedge and a new putter (head snapped off the old one) , but I'm not quite ready to retire the irons.  Don't play enough anyway.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2010, 03:38:55 PM »
has anyone mentioned the mother (and father) of the modern hybrid/utility...

The GINTY

?

couldn't find a private club member's bag without one ca (1980-1990)
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Matthew Rose

« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2010, 06:07:05 PM »
I knew somebody who bought a Fiber-Shaft 2000 (informercial club) and brought it on a golf/camping trip. The shaft on this thing was so flexible that I swung it and thought it was going to wrap itself around me.

I can't think of any one really embarrassing *club* that I had, but I did go through a phase where I played with orange balls a lot as a junior. I used to buy those orange Titleist DT 384s. I still remember the reflecting glow they would give off as I lined up my Taylor Made Pittsburgh Persimmon original one driver circa 1985.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2010, 06:32:24 PM »
I once bought a two iron out a discount bin. It was a fine two iron but for those very few of you who have seen my golf game all I can say is WTF was I thinking. Fortunately coming out of the discount bin I didn't pay much.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2010, 06:48:52 PM »
Can anyone post a picture of the Pod? Without a doubt, the ugliest, most stupid club ever made. Perfectly round little club face. I almost got killed by it.  My biggest client was using it off the tee. I was perfectly even with him, not an inch past the ball. Now this client was 6'8" tall and 325 pounds...He took s a mighty swing and barely knicked the ball with the edge of the face of the club...and it line drived SIDEWAYS right over my shoulder! I almost sh!$ my pants.   HATE that club!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2010, 08:13:49 PM »
Surprised no one has mentioned this one..

Jud_T

« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2010, 08:28:13 PM »
For me its the alien. Has anyone mentioned the chipper?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back