News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ken McGlynn

Re: Most Thrilling Shot You've Had On A Golf Course
« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2010, 03:01:14 PM »
I equate the most thrilling shot to be the opening tee shot on courses you're overly excited to play. On history alone, it has to be standing in front of the R and A on the first tee of the Old Course. Other memorable openers for me: Olympic Lake...with the golf shop directly behind, Pebble Beach for all the obvious reasons, Royal Lytham and St. Anne's...something about the setting there for a Par 3 opener, and for pure beauty alone, the back tee at Bandon Trails.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #101 on: February 10, 2010, 03:22:06 PM »
I don't think I can pick just one.  But for me, it's when the conditions favor your game to try and drive a par 4.  I remember standing on #16 tee at Dinosaur Mountain and flying it on the middle from 380 yards out.  Now granted, the tee is elevated well over 100 feet and you can cut off part of the hole, but it's a thrilling shot every time.

Ken,

I like what you posted.  I remember playing Stone Eagle in 2008 and it was my first round of the year.  I was so excited to get out of the cold weather in Chicago and get to California.  I had my tee time set 2 months before I went out there and all I did was look at photos of the place until it was time to go.  For me, Stone Eagle was one of the most anticipated and unique settings for a course that I could imagine. 

I give myself credit though because after weeks of waiting to get out there, I absolutely smoked it off the first tee.  ;)

jkinney

« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2010, 06:12:38 PM »
Driving and holding the 1st green at NGLA.......was so nervous standing over a 20' eagle putt, I almost three putted.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #103 on: February 10, 2010, 06:17:20 PM »
Driving and holding the 1st green at NGLA.......was so nervous standing over a 20' eagle putt, I almost three putted.

Now that's what I'm talking about!  Awesome   :)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2010, 06:26:16 PM »
Here is my most thrilling. 2nd hole North Berwick, Lucky the tide was out. I put it on and made par.

Mike, I have played that same shot off the wet sand at North Berwick #2, with the same result.

I think that must really cut off a lot of distance, as I've never been on that green in 2 again!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2010, 06:38:07 PM »
Here is my most thrilling. 2nd hole North Berwick, Lucky the tide was out. I put it on and made par.

Mike, I have played that same shot off the wet sand at North Berwick #2, with the same result.

I think that must really cut off a lot of distance, as I've never been on that green in 2 again!

Seems like there's a GCA club witin the club, I recall of Picture of honary member Goodale soing the same with the same result.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tim Martin

« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2010, 09:57:56 PM »
Hi to all. My name is Tim Martin from Connecticut and am a long time fan of GolfClubAtlas. I have been accessing the site since 2005 and learned a great deal while also having more than a few laughs. After going back and viewing many of the old threads I am constantly amazed at the knowledge and the insight of the members. It is also refreshing to see that an occasional smart ass comment is welcome if delivered in the proper spirit. Thanks for the chance to be a contributor and props to all you guys who champion this passion of restoring and maintaining these glorious works of art. Last played about 3 weeks ago in Hartford in what I would have to describe as firm and fast conditions. Sort of a British Open style on steroids with semi frozen greens and rock hard fairways with plenty of wind. Fun.  I choose this thread as my first post as it seemed fairly easy to jump in. I think the most thrilling shot for me was the second to the punchbowl green at #4 at Fishers Island on a late October afternoon with sideways rain and plenty of wind. The kind of day when most people don`t even want to go out and get the paper. Long story short I hooked a hybrid in to 4 feet of which the outcome was unclear until arriving at the green. Just a great feeling. 

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2010, 03:10:44 PM »
Seaside Golf Links, Sea Island, GA

June 2007, Tropical Storm Barry spinning over the coast.  40 mph sustained,
60 mph gusts,  every shot was thrilling.

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2010, 11:20:59 AM »
The first one that jumps to my mind is a 1950's MacGregor MT 2-iron from 218 yards to 1 foot on the 8th at the Downs --  :o  I don't know the exact date, but around 1980-82.  I felt like Jack Nicklaus, Tom Watson, pick your favorite player . . .

Still smiling!   
Mike

John Mayhugh

« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2010, 12:04:10 PM »
The first one that jumps to my mind is a 1950's MacGregor MT 2-iron from 218 yards to 1 foot on the 8th at the Downs --  :o  I don't know the exact date, but around 1980-82.  I felt like Jack Nicklaus, Tom Watson, pick your favorite player . . .

Still smiling!   
Mike

Since it's Crystal Downs, I have to ask - did you make the putt?

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #110 on: February 16, 2010, 12:05:35 PM »
#16 Cypress Point....the one shot I have anticiapted more than any other
#1 Cypress Point........knowing that #16 was coming!

#1 Old Course.....simply the most awe inspiring place on the planet
#1 Merion...for the same reasons as Patrick..all those knives and forks and then...silence!
#5 Pine Valley....sheer fear!
#8 Troon...history, fear with the wind blowing and good fortune for being there
#12 Royal Birkdale...my favourite hole anywhere second shot #8 Pebble..the pure beauty of the shot and surroundings
Tee shot at Sand Hills in the afternoon, knowing that I had 18  more to come....same can be said of Ballyneal.
#17 Sand Hills from the old unused tee...for someone who grew up not allowed to play the back tees for some British reason..., the ultimate in your face abuse of power!

Numerous first tee shots on courses that I knew it was a privelage to be playing...I have tried never to take that for granted.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #111 on: February 17, 2010, 10:33:54 AM »
#12 on The Experience at Manele. Closely followed by the tee shot on the 17th at the same course.

I had played seaside holes before, but never hit shots over cliffs 100+ feet above the sea. Thrilling.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #112 on: February 17, 2010, 11:32:55 AM »
Sean,

Sand Point #10

John Moore II

« Reply #113 on: February 17, 2010, 12:08:17 PM »
Tee shot, hole #1 at Pinehurst #2, first time playing.
Tee shot, hole #1 at Park Ridge, playing with all 3 design associates, first time for that
Second shot, #18 at Minnesott Golf Club, hit to within 6 feet to win my first junior tournament

Can't really think of any other shots that were exceptionally thrilling.

Tim Nugent

« Reply #114 on: February 17, 2010, 08:31:06 PM »
When David Whechel (from Hurdzan/Fry) passed me his little silver flask of some ancient Scotch as we walked down the 10th at SFGC.  What a greeat shot that was ;D
Coasting is a downhill process

Anthony Gray

« Reply #115 on: March 06, 2012, 03:48:09 PM »

Bump

Joe Byrnes

« Reply #116 on: March 06, 2012, 05:16:54 PM »
I think the 7th hole at the National GC - Old Course is a great one. Looking out over miles of Bass Straight coastline having to hit a precise iron into the wind!

And the 6th at NSWGC is pretty good as well.

JB

Bill McKinley

« Reply #117 on: March 06, 2012, 05:37:53 PM »
Great thread!  In the spirit of keeping things short, I'll stick to 5, in no particular order...

1.  1st Tee at The Old Course.  Easiest and most nerve racking tee shot in golf.
2.  1st Tee at Merion East, followed by holing out a SW from 100 yards for an eagle 2 on the 8th hole, then making birdie on #11 (God's Hole)
3.  Ripping a 3 hybrid to 10 feet behind the hole on the 244 yard 11th at LA North, missed the putt though  :'(
4.  Rolling in a 30 footer for birdie on #1 at Oakmont in the SWAT
5.  18th Tee at Seminole.  Realizing that my day there was coming to an end was sad, but reflecting on what a day it had been, was thrilling!
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

Doug Wright

« Reply #118 on: March 29, 2012, 03:48:03 AM »
Hit a 5 wood to 8 feet on #3 @ Mauna Kea today. Thrilling.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #119 on: March 29, 2012, 11:02:12 AM »
I hit a 3-wood to four feet in driving rain, wind and 38 degrees on the par 3 4th hole in a match at Newport CC, waves assaulting Ocean Ave to the left.

And I missed the putt. :(
Senior Writer, GolfPass

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #120 on: March 29, 2012, 11:22:17 AM »
I was playing Lakota Canyon and I started the round out with 4 straight birdies. The 5th is a par 5 that doglegs left the entire way. I hit a great draw down the right side of the fairway and followed it up with an equally great 3 wood and bound up about 60 feet from the pin, facing a long left to right downhill quick putt.

I said to everyone, I'm just lagging this sucker, don't want to 3 putt.

I must have hit the putt 15 feet on the high side and watched it trickle down and down and to my surprise and shock, it dropped in the hole for an eagle. I remember all 5 holes like it was yesterday. Great thrill.

Went on to shoot 66 which was my all-time ow score. What a fun memory!!!!!!!!!!
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #121 on: March 29, 2012, 03:06:03 PM »
It never pays to follow Gib even if by a few years. His command of the language far exceeds his USC education.
For me there are many. I shall always remember my first shots and good shots in events like high school state championships, State Am etc. I will remember the shots at Portmarnock the last 5 holes which we needed to win the Carr Mara Championship for the Olympic Club as my comeback event from the first time with cancer. I will also remember fondly the recovery shot on the old 8 to save par on the old 8  that lead to birdies on 9 and 10 after 4 putting the great and now old 7 green at Olympic Lake to qualify. The first shot at TOC as well as many others over the years there. The first tee shot at Cypress. And for some reason the 2nd shot on 11 at Cypress on that same comeback from cancer when the body and golf swing had to be rebuilt from scratch. The driver and then 3 wood into the wind to 6 feet were as good as I ever struck. I hope there will be more thrilling shots ahead for one never knows what life has in store for us. 

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #122 on: March 29, 2012, 03:34:37 PM »
The most thrilling shot that I can remember is a three wood to ten feet on the par five sixth green on the Shore Course at MPCC; I hasten to add it was not by me. Our good friend Tiger Bernhardt had just finished going  through the rigours of two lengthy sessions of chemo therapy, leaving him weak and wan, I was in awe of the man.

Best wishes Tiger.

Bob

« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 03:36:26 PM by Bob_Huntley »

George Pazin

« Reply #123 on: March 29, 2012, 03:45:15 PM »
 :)

There's beautiful writing and there's beautiful thinking. That was both.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

David Royer

« Reply #124 on: March 29, 2012, 03:52:21 PM »
This past Sunday I had my first hole in one.  Having come close several times over the years I would always try to imagine what it would be like to do it.  I actually found it a bit underwhelming.  I far more enjoy a solid crisp 5 iron into a green against a clear blue sky. Maybe it's because you can enjoy it a bit longer than a 9 at 137.  It's the slow motion floating of the ball that is hypnotic. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back