News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Johnson

Re: Most Thrilling Shot You've Had On A Golf Course
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2010, 10:58:47 AM »
Approach shot into the 18th at TOC is incredible. I was unsure which club to hit with the pin in the back of the green. Standing there, I remember thinking if I pure the wedge, the ball will fly the green and start bouncing on the pavement through the parking lot and just keep going and going, with about 50 people around the green, i didnt need that on my golf resume. Played a sandwedge to the front of the green and put my putt to tap in range for par. Only time I had about 50 people clap as I walked up to tap my ball in, it is a really cool feeling to tip your hat to your "fans" on the 18th at St Andrews.

Rob Miller

« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2010, 10:36:18 PM »
Shaking hands with Arnie on the 1st at Latrobe and then immediately after teeing off.  Simply getting the ball into the air and onto the fairway was as much of a challenge as any other shot I've faced.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2010, 08:16:23 PM »
About 10 years ago late in the fall, my last round of the season at a local public course, there is par 5 18th hole that plays about 560 from the tips where at then end it is downhill with the green up against a pond to be carried.  I had tried many times previously to reach it in two, but failed.  But this day I had hit a perfect drive, cutting the corner a bit, leaving about 265 in.  I hit a real solid 3 metal that I thought had a chance to get on, but the shot is blind.  As I got close to the green, I could see I cleared the pond and my ball was about 20 feet behind the pin.  Yippee!

But as I walked up to remove the flag for my eagle putt, I could see my 2nd shot had nearly flown into the hole:  the upper part of the hole was destroyed from the impact of the ball.  And somehow I thought I was oh so close to an albatross.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

astavrides

« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2010, 10:17:50 PM »
Shaking hands with Arnie on the 1st at Latrobe and then immediately after teeing off.  Simply getting the ball into the air and onto the fairway was as much of a challenge as any other shot I've faced.

I know what you mean.  It's a downhill hole to a pretty tight fairway. 

Leo Barber

« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2010, 10:58:47 PM »
3iron second shot into a breeze on the 13th at the old course.  As a bogie golfer the longer stick can be literally hit and miss but struck it pure, carrying the lions mouth and coming to rest, heart of the green 5 m from the pin on the largest green in the world.  For some reason you always remember the well struck shots on great courses.   

Robin Doodson

« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2010, 12:06:33 AM »
18th hole at the K Club. After 4 days and 71 holes i was tied with my good mate Jim Mckenna coming up the last. i hit my 2nd shot over the water with a 5 wood very low and very left. somehow it managed to catch the very last rock on the left hand side, bounced 50 feet in the air and settled on the back of the green for an easy 2 putt birdie. Jim then proceeded to stand up, hit it in the drink and walk off sulking. now that's gold.

robin

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2010, 12:30:51 AM »
It was a foggy day in the summer of 1972 and I was going into 8th grade, playing with my father and one of his customers - who also had a son three years my senior.

Armed with my mother’s Patty Berg clubs, we wound our way through Highway 17 on our way to Santa Cruz and Pasatiempo. Mackenzie’s jewel had already been the site of my most horrific golf experience and I had begged my father to pick a different spot.

You’ve seen me on the tee a thousand times from memory. Corfam shoes with spike cuts in the toes, Faultless golf balls, floppy hat from home club, pants too loose In the waist and too tight on the thighs, glove that has gone accidentally through the wash several times and head-covers attached with a leather string where the 2-wood actually held the five wood.  

The previous summer - in my very first tournament as a 12 year-old member of the NCJGA (Nor Cal Junior Golf) - I had shot 126, with 56 putts. This, with rolling in a 25-footer for par at the last. I had never seen greens even remotely like those in speed and contour and had completely lost my composure after five-putting the 2nd hole for a snowman.

Naturally, I was paired with a couple of local prodigies who sneered at me all the way around the golf course. Humiliation does not describe how I felt and 38 years later I still get a pang of shame in the pit of my stomach at the mere thought of that 3rd putt lipping- out and rolling down to the bottom tier.

So I was not looking forward to another emotional trauma at the hands of Dr. Mackenzie in front of my father - and to make matters far more intimidating, the other man’s son – we will call him Scotty because that is still his name – was a big strong kid who already played on his high school golf team.

Naturally, because both our fathers are a couple of roosters, they had to have a hefty wager on the outcome – which made both Scotty and I uneasy given that $100 was a lot of dough during the Nixon administration.

To make a long story short, I decided to hit 3-wood off of every tee and following my father’s instructions, played for bogey on every hole. Even so, I was headed for about 100 – which compared to my previous Pasatiempo train wreck – kept the match close.

Scotty helped my cause by being wild off the tee, losing a couple in the trees, starting on #7. No surprise that we are still good friends, fellow Trojans and golf partners nearly 40 years later.

We stood on the 16th tee all square, but this was a couple years before my hands caught up with my golf swing and a draw was not anywhere to be found in my puny arsenal of non-shots.

Determined to hit one far enough to give me a chance at clearing the ditch on my second shot (Idiot then, idiot now) despite the fact that even a six would have sufficed, I hit my longest 3-wood of the day down the right side.

“You are out of bounds,” said Scotty’s dad with just a hint of malice. I was never really fond of him and truth be told, don’t like him as an old bat any more than I did as a middle-aged produce hustler.

Dear Old Dad rolled his eyes while I fished another Faultless out of my corduroys. I nearly had tears in my eyes (okay, I did, screw you for asking) and took a swipe as only an angry, frustrated kid can do.

Miraculously, I hit a screaming hook that started down the right tree line and drifted around the corner as if on a yo-yo string. How this occurred at that moment remains as big a mystery as the next series of bizarre events.

My father had carved his Orlimar persimmon around the corner in line with my ball, but 30 yards further down the fairway in that basin towards the bottom of the hill.

Scotty had skulled a driver into the right rough and his smirking father had followed my tee shot with a snap hook into the left rough on a hanging lie.

You've met him before, too. Red, white and blue golf shoes, Hogan woods, a questionable 16 handicap (too high) at Sharon Heights and the biggest, stiffest collar I had ever seen on a heterosexual. A walking fire hazard of polyester with a white belt and blobs of sun screen on his bald head that looked like a pervert had jacked off on his proceeding forehead.

Scotty had an oak tree in front of him and decided to lay up short of the ditch. My father whacked a 6-iron on the green far past the pin, which was set on the bottom tier and guaranteed him an impossible two-putt unless he hit the hole.

Captain Smirk cold-topped his approach shot into the ditch – the only time I ever heard him curse at the top of his lungs in the strange Lebanese patois he had brought from the old country.

So there I am, standing next to my ball and my father comes over and asks me, “What are you going to do?”

I’ve got a special relationship with my Father to this day because we both love and drive each other insane.

“I’m going to LAY UP! Duh! It’s 185 yards to the green and they are in trouble.”

“Hit your 4-wood,” said my dad, in yet another of many ‘Burning Bush’ moments growing up when he somehow knew something that was unknowable at the time.

“No no no!, are you crazy, what if I hit it in the ditch?” I went on with a monologue about the 126 I had shot with the 27 8x10 color glossy pictures with circles and arrows on the back of each one etc etc etc. (Alice’s Restaurant reference for the Brits or newbies out there).

My Father is stubborn and if nothing else, completely fearless. I’ll miss him when he is gone because he is a great man and I’ve long ago lost my nerve in all things golf and life.

My self-appointed caddy ripped the 4-wood headcover off and handed it to me like the Lady in the Lake presenting Excalibur to the village idiot.

“Look son,” said dad, “I don’t give a shit if we lose $100, win $100 or blow it on something stupid. Just hit the ball and I guarantee you something good will happen.”

This is true. I swear to God on my children's lives.

I caught it absolutely square, and watched in complete shock as the ball shrieked like a guided missile right at the pin as if fired straight from the gun-sight of a hunting rifle.

My eyes must have been closed because my pre-shot visualization was the nine I took on the same hole the previous summer.

My ball flew right over the flagstick and stuck in its own ball mark right next to my father’s ball, 20 feet above the pin on the upper tier.

“Good shot kid, but the putt is going to be impossible,” said the crabby, merciless curmudgeon who I still don’t like much.

With visions of the best shot of my life being remembered for a five-putt, I picked up my red leather bag with the strap too long and dragged it down the fairway . . . . .

“Your ball is moving,” said Scotty. I paid no attention.

“Gib, look,!” said my father, pointing at the green where my ball was creeping slowly done the slope.

I stopped and stared, watching my ball totter towards hole, one tortured turn at a time . . . . until it fell into the cup for a four.

3 wood O.B. off the tee . . . . and draino with a four-wood from the fairway. It still seems impossible to this day.

My father made the six footer coming back from the front fringe for his par and the rest was a mere formality.

Dad gave me the $100 bill . . . . . I spent it on a new glove, more balls and a new pair of black-on-black Foot Joys, not made of corfam – although I still wore white socks even with dark pants, just like today.

Ironically, I think that was the last par I ever made on the 16th at Pasatiempo . . . . . .    
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 04:39:04 PM by Gib Papazian »

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2010, 10:58:16 AM »
I think I killed the thread.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2010, 01:26:34 PM »
Yeah, posters can't reply because they are wiping tears out of their eyes instead.  Yet another wonderful tale from a master story teller.  JC

Chris Buie

« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2010, 03:34:09 PM »
Making an eagle putt as a teen in front of a vey large crowd.
Oh yeah, that day I was playing with the US Open champion.  Larry Nelson.
16 on #2
I made a long birdie putt on the last hole as well.  So I finished 3-3-3. 
My friends just love it when I wheel this story out yet again.  ;D

Mac Plumart

« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2010, 04:01:43 PM »
I've got three...

#1---My first tee shot...May 2007 Piedmont Driving Club...from that moment on my life has been downhill every step of the way as my golf addiction grows and grows.   :)

#2---tee shot on the 18th tee box at Inverness.  I was overwhelmed by the look of the hole and the history of the hole/club.  The thrill was followed up by the flop I had to hit to get on that frickin' wildly slanted green and over those bunkers.  I pulled the shot off and got a standing ovation from the members lunching on the veranda.  That was pretty cool!

#3---And of course the last shot I just hit a few minutes ago at my home course.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mike Hogan

« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2010, 11:25:51 PM »
Here is my most thrilling. 2nd hole North Berwick, Lucky the tide was out. I put it on and made par.

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #87 on: February 08, 2010, 02:37:28 PM »
#16 at Golden Horseshoe Gold... elevated tee to island green... last day of honeymoon November 1998... couples tournament practice round.  8 iron on the screws... bounce... check... roll dead straight into the hole.  My beloved wife, a 9 handicap, reading a magazine and not paying attention... BUT... group in front of us on #17 tee box goes crazy.  Awesome!  My third hole in one in 40 days (Augustine Golf Club #8, Augustine Golf Club #17).  Never had one before... haven't had one since.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #88 on: February 08, 2010, 02:40:40 PM »
Obviously the second shot at 8 at Pebble and 16 CPC are right up there, but I thought 4 at Riviera was about as thrilling as it gets...

The tee shot on 10 is up there too..
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 05:01:20 PM by Jordan Wall »

Jed Rammell

« Reply #89 on: February 08, 2010, 02:50:57 PM »
I think I killed the thread.

I'm buying whatever book you're selling.

Mike Tanner

« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2010, 02:38:14 PM »
I was running late for my morning tee time with my best golf buddy, his brother and another guy whose name I don't recall all these years later. It was a Saturday and the first tee was backed up with at least four groups waiting to tee off behind my group, which was standing between the markers ready to swing away as soon as the players in the fairway hit their approach shots.

The starter recognized my car and wheeled his cart out to the parking lot to meet me. I yanked my bag and golf shoes out of the trunk and we sped off to the front of the line, arriving just as the third member of my foursome hit his drive. Jumping out of the starter's cart, I made quick apologies for my tardiness.

To say all eyes were on me would be a cliche, but they were and I could feel every single orb pointed in my direction. I hastily teed up a ball and, without a single warm-up swing, took my stance.

Just as I started my backswing, I noticed my golf shoes were still untied. Too late to stop now. Everything felt good at impact, but it wasn't until I looked up that I saw where my ball was headed. Far and straight, right into the heart of the landing zone.

That was the most thrilling shot I'd hit up until then, but not one I've cared to repeat since.

Life's too short to waste on bad golf courses or bad wine.

archie_struthers

« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2010, 08:15:26 PM »
 ;D 8) ;D

Just thought of a memorable shot though it might be more funny than thrilling,  I'm about twenty four years old , about two months into my first year as assistant at Pine Valley. I remember vividly running up the trail from  the employee lot to the clubhouse,, knowing I was late for the 7:00 daily opening of the golf shop. Normally Tommy the caddy  master would buy me a couple minutes grace but today I was nailed as my boss Charlie Raudensbush had arrived early and  was already in the golf shop.  Not only was I late , but I looked like hell after a long night at the  night at the Bongo Room in Avalon and some extracurricular activity.

Shuffling in and trying to walk straight , I greeted Charlie and tried to create as lilittle wake as possible .  The shop was busy ,, and he was on the register, ringing in gloves , balls , hats and the like ... the typical morning drill at PV.  Mumbling an apology about my late arrival  , I suggested relieving him at my post so he could get some breakfast.  He cooly said  no problem ,  go get something for yourself.   Double uh oh!   

Grabbing a quick OJ  and bagel in the cafeteria  (the emplyee food at PV is really good)   I hustled back to the golf  shop , still not sure why my boss was so non-plussed by my appearance and late arrival. Just then I looked out the window and noticed my golf clubs out on the deck ,  How strange as I hadn't brought them up from basement.

The shop had calmed down , and I cooly asked Charley if someone was borrwing my clubs . He said no , playing the hand like  Doyle Brunson , told me a group was waitng for me., and I needed to get out there. Smellling a rat , I tried to check raise by suggesting that he play , as he was always working and needed to see how great the greens were rolling.  Thanks but no thanks he said, and suggested I hurry to the 5th tee as  my group was waiting.

Thanks boss , i muttered , thinking that I had dodged a bullet . Turning the corner to the 5th tee I saw my group , Marty West , a member and former Walker Cupper , his pro from VIrginia ,who was a real stick , and someone else I dimly recognized as stud right off the mini tours. ... . they were setting up to play the tips, which made my first swing of the day a 230 yard poke with death to the right and despair left .  oh boy  , why not # 1 where I could shove a high block around the  corner , my safety.

Now I saw the trap,  a good one. The boss was teaching me a lesson about staying out all night and showing up for work at Pine Valley at  50%. You can fake it looping  but now I  was the worst player in the group , not freewheeling with my  miscreant buddies from the  yard. I had recently been chirping about how good I was playing , and here was my comeuppance. 

Charley knew I  would shoot a bundle, starting right there on #5. 

As I gingerly grabbed my Cobra Baffler 3 Wood from Joe Falk , my looper , a bunch of guys walked out of the clubhouse , to watch us tee off. They wanted to see Marty and the other guys hit it, but I knew almost all of them ....my nerves were almost shot , as the calm of the previous nights alcohol was replaced by the shakes of the morning after....

The guys suggested I take us out and of course I demurred , as members and guests come first....  Anything to gain a few seconds time .....finally it was my turn and  I teed up my PV Titleist Balata and had a little trouble pegging it .....surely I was in big trouble , and tried to  focus on making a good turn and swing.   Somehow I hit the middle ball  right on the nose , sending a gentle  flip hook onto the front of the green, and proceeded to play a pretty good round.   LUCKY LUCKY LUCKY was I , but the lesson was well learned....

Ben Sims

« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2010, 08:33:50 PM »

“Hit your 4-wood,” said my dad, in yet another of many ‘Burning Bush’ moments growing up when he somehow knew something that was unknowable at the time.

Thanks friend.  That was one in long line of great reads.  Good for a laugh, good for contemplation, good for a free martini, Rockstar delivers.

That line above feebly reminds me of you and Neal cajoling me into two slap hooks in a row on 16 at Oly Lake with a driver and three wood.  The only par of the day...

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2010, 09:18:56 PM »
I have a bad memory for specific shots, and I'm inclined to put forth an in-competition and an out-of-competition entry.

In-competition:

This past golf season, actually.  It was the first round of the fall season and we were playing at Hershey Links in the Elizabethtown Invitational.  It was the first event of the year and there were only six teams there, so the stakes were pretty low.  Nonetheless...

The 18th at Hershey Links is a slightly uphill, short par 5.  The fairway is about as inviting as it gets and things gradually narrow a bit towards the green.  Nonetheless, it's a birdie hole.

To this point in the round, I have played my usual game, whereby I get absolutely, positively nothing out of the shots I hit.  I had made zero birdies on the day, despite having four or five chances from inside of ten feet.

Having wailed away at a drive and a five-wood, I had left myself right of the green and had chipped to about nine feet left of the hole, leaving the most serpentine double-breaker I'd ever seen at that length.  Despite how tough the putt was, I was so frustrated with my round that I just HAD to make it.  When it slithered in the right side, I let out a rather too-loud "YES" which could probably be heard all through Hummelstown, PA.  It was one of those grand cathartic thrills that only competition can bring in golf.

Out-of-competition:

This past August, I played a practice round at Yale in preparation for the upcoming CSGA Four-Ball.  I arrived at the 9th and was delighted to see that they'd put the pin in the back of the green.  Nonetheless, the greens were a little too soft to try and run a five-wood through the swale, so I decided to try and fly the ball just beyond the swale and have it scamper forward and to the left toward the pin.  Lo and be hold, I did just that and it settled four feet from the hole.  Made the hot dog from the snack bar behind the tee taste twice as good.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Mike Wagner

« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2010, 09:37:42 PM »
The second of 2 double eagles in a 3 month period - the 2nd one was a par 4 ace.

Why was this one so thrilling?  It had never been done before on the hole (built in 1925 or so), and the foursome was my dad and two brothers.  We all play together about once every couple years or so...special indeed.

PThomas

« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2010, 11:20:08 PM »
I've got three...

#1---My first tee shot...May 2007 Piedmont Driving Club...from that moment on my life has been downhill every step of the way as my golf addiction grows and grows.   :)

#2---tee shot on the 18th tee box at Inverness.  I was overwhelmed by the look of the hole and the history of the hole/club.  The thrill was followed up by the flop I had to hit to get on that frickin' wildly slanted green and over those bunkers.  I pulled the shot off and got a standing ovation from the members lunching on the veranda.  That was pretty cool!

#3---And of course the last shot I just hit a few minutes ago at my home course.

i have a memory from 18 at Inverness too:  i pushed my tee shot into the trees right of the tee--and i think the damn ball stayed up there!

i did make par with the 2nd ball...
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Keith Buntrock

« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2010, 12:50:51 AM »
A lot of these authors for this thread should really be writing books. You can't make some of these stories up imo.

I have fond memories of my high school days and would like to share a story. The final putt influenced my response to this thread.

Sophomore year I was battling to maintain my lead in the conference player of the year race. I think it was the 5th of the 6 conference "Mini Meets" that we played, which consisted of 9 holes where all 7 teams in the conference would partake.

By the time our group got through 7 holes, the #2 and #3 players in the conference were both 2 under par and I was 1 under. With a 200 yd par 3 and 560 yd tricky par 5 remaining. Front right was the pin on 8. It was a standard par 3 with just one bunker left of the green. Both of my adversaries hit before me and were in that "easy par but tough birdie" range on the green. I stepped up to the tee feeling pretty pumped up so pulled out 6 iron. I aimed 10 feet right of the flag and hit a little draw right towards the stick.

I remember one of my fellow competitors say "Be right," and like Jack on 16 at Augusta in '86, I knew it was. My ball landed 10 feet short of the hole and rolled up to 3 feet away. I coaxed it in the hole for birdie and 3 of us were now tied on the last tee at 2 under par.

The 9th hole is an awkward par 5. The tee shot was to a fairway that had a slight bend from left to right with a pond just left and just right of the fairway. The fairway was 28 yards wide and the overall landing area was 40 yards wide w/out going in the water , a pretty scary shot for a high school kid. Then most people would lay up short of a ditch that crossed the hole 50 yards short of the green. My goal was to get over that in 2 and find myself somewhere in front of the green with a short pitch.

Since I had the honor, I knew if I could rip one down the middle that would put a huge amount of pressure on my fellow competitors to hit one in play. I was able to turn all that nervous energy into one of the best pressure drives I ever hit, down the left center of the fairway. The #3 player hit next and found the pond on the right, I knew he was as good as done. The #2 player nervously steered one out there with driver, maybe 50 yards short of me.

The #2 player laid up to 120 and then all I wanted to do was catch my 20 degree hybrid somewhat solid to clear the ditch to set up a short pitch into a middle left pin guarded by a bunker front left and right. The green opened up to those who play it up the right side, which is what tried to do.

I hit my 2nd shot off the heel and I willed the ball over the ditch in the right rough short of the green. The #2 player then hit his wedge shot at the pin but 20 feet short. I felt good about my position until we walked over to my ball. Because we couldn't find my ball in rough that was 4 steps off the fairway, but it looked like it hadn't been cut since the previous fall (it was late April in WI).

My fellow competitors thought that my ball was in the ditch, and I said no since I did see it bounce. After looking for 2-3 minutes, I was panicking to say the least. We must have all walked by it a few times since it was being partly covered by the only leaf in the area with a decent lie. I had never felt so relieved to find my ball on a golf course before.

After assessing my situation, I figured all I'd have to do was land the pitch shot on the front of the green and let it roll out towards the hole. After going through the checklist in my head on "How to not skull this chip," I hit the shot, and realized after I hit it that I was aiming 15 feet left of the hole. Lucky for me that I hit it with good distance control.

So myself, and the #2 player in the conference are in a putting contest. I bent down to read my putt and I got this feeling that I was going to make my putt. I don't know I got this feeling and I don't know where it came from, because I haven't felt it since.

The #2 player then hits his putt, and rolls it right in the middle of the hole for birdie and a 3 under 33. He was clearly nervous and very relieved to make the putt. I said "nice putt" and then went back to focusing on my read. 15 feet, the line was half a cup right of the edge. That feeling that I was going to make the putt was still there.

I stood over the putt, still felt good confident. I hit the putt, and the ball never wavered off its line and rolled right in the middle of the hole. A birdie-birdie finish to remain ahead of the competition for conference player of the year. In a game where, if something can go wrong, it will, nothing went wrong for me on those final 2 holes.

I picked my ball up from the hole, then went right over to the #2 player where he was crouching down with a smile on his face and we shook hands and congratulated each other on what we just accomplished and some of the shots we both hit coming down the stretch.

So I guess to answer the thread, the iron shot I hit on 8 and the tying putt on 9 tied as the most thrilling shots I can think of right now.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2010, 02:43:53 AM »
It was a foggy day in the summer of 1972 and I was going into 8th grade, playing with my father and one of his customers - who also had a son three years my senior.

Armed with my mother’s Patty Berg clubs, we wound our way through Highway 17 on our way to Santa Cruz and Pasatiempo. Mackenzie’s jewel had already been the site of my most horrific golf experience and I had begged my father to pick a different spot.

You’ve seen me on the tee a thousand times from memory. Corfam shoes with spike cuts in the toes, Faultless golf balls, floppy hat from home club, pants too loose In the waist and too tight on the thighs, glove that has gone accidentally through the wash several times and head-covers attached with a leather string where the 2-wood actually held the five wood.  

The previous summer - in my very first tournament as a 12 year-old member of the NCJGA (Nor Cal Junior Golf) - I had shot 126, with 56 putts. This, with rolling in a 25-footer for par at the last. I had never seen greens even remotely like those in speed and contour and had completely lost my composure after five-putting the 2nd hole for a snowman.

Naturally, I was paired with a couple of local prodigies who sneered at me all the way around the golf course. Humiliation does not describe how I felt and 38 years later I still get a pang of shame in the pit of my stomach at the mere thought of that 3rd putt lipping- out and rolling down to the bottom tier.

So I was not looking forward to another emotional trauma at the hands of Dr. Mackenzie in front of my father - and to make matters far more intimidating, the other man’s son – we will call him Scotty because that is still his name – was a big strong kid who already played on his high school golf team.

Naturally, because both our fathers are a couple of roosters, they had to have a hefty wager on the outcome – which made both Scotty and I uneasy given that $100 was a lot of dough during the Nixon administration.

To make a long story short, I decided to hit 3-wood off of every tee and following my father’s instructions, played for bogey on every hole. Even so, I was headed for about 100 – which compared to my previous Pasatiempo train wreck – kept the match close.

Scotty helped my cause by being wild off the tee, losing a couple in the trees, starting on #7. No surprise that we are still good friends, fellow Trojans and golf partners nearly 40 years later.

We stood on the 16th tee all square, but this was a couple years before my hands caught up with my golf swing and a draw was not anywhere to be found in my puny arsenal of non-shots.

Determined to hit one far enough to give me a chance at clearing the ditch on my second shot (Idiot then, idiot now) despite the fact that even a six would have sufficed, I hit my longest 3-wood of the day down the right side.

“You are out of bounds,” said Scotty’s dad with just a hint of malice. I was never really fond of him and truth be told, don’t like him as an old bat any more than I did as a middle-aged produce hustler.

Dear Old Dad rolled his eyes while I fished another Faultless out of my corduroys. I nearly had tears in my eyes (okay, I did, screw you for asking) and took a swipe as only an angry, frustrated kid can do.

Miraculously, I hit a screaming hook that started down the right tree line and drifted around the corner as if on a yo-yo string. How this occurred at that moment remains as big a mystery as the next series of bizarre events.

My father had carved his Orlimar persimmon around the corner in line with my ball, but 30 yards further down the fairway in that basin towards the bottom of the hill.

Scotty had skulled a driver into the right rough and his smirking father had followed my tee shot with a snap hook into the left rough on a hanging lie.

You've met him before, too. Red, white and blue golf shoes, Hogan woods, a questionable 16 handicap (too high) at Sharon Heights and the biggest, stiffest collar I had ever seen on a heterosexual. A walking fire hazard of polyester with a white belt and blobs of sun screen on his bald head that looked like a pervert had jacked off on his proceeding forehead.

Scotty had an oak tree in front of him and decided to lay up short of the ditch. My father whacked a 6-iron on the green far past the pin, which was set on the bottom tier and guaranteed him an impossible two-putt unless he hit the hole.

Captain Smirk cold-topped his approach shot into the ditch – the only time I ever heard him curse at the top of his lungs in the strange Lebanese patois he had brought from the old country.

So there I am, standing next to my ball and my father comes over and asks me, “What are you going to do?”

I’ve got a special relationship with my Father to this day because we both love and drive each other insane.

“I’m going to LAY UP! Duh! It’s 185 yards to the green and they are in trouble.”

“No no no!, are you crazy, what if I hit it in the ditch?” I went on with a monologue about the 126 I had shot with the 27 8x10 color glossy pictures with circles and arrows on the back of each one etc etc etc. (Alice’s Restaurant reference for the Brits or newbies out there).

My Father is stubborn and if nothing else, completely fearless. I’ll miss him when he is gone because he is a great man and I’ve long ago lost my nerve in all things golf and life.

My self-appointed caddy ripped the 4-wood headcover off and handed it to me like the Lady in the Lake presenting Excalibur to the village idiot.

“Look son,” said dad, “I don’t give a shit if we lose $100, win $100 or blow it on something stupid. Just hit the ball and I guarantee you something good will happen.”

I caught it absolutely square, and watched in complete shock as the ball shrieked like a guided missile right at the pin as if fired straight from the gun-sight of a hunting rifle.

My eyes must have been closed because my pre-shot visualization was the nine I took on the same hole the previous summer.

My ball flew right over the flagstick and stuck in its own ball mark right next to my father’s ball, 20 feet above the pin on the upper tier.

“Good shot kid, but the putt is going to be impossible,” said the crabby, merciless curmudgeon who I still don’t like much.

With visions of the best shot of my life being remembered for a five-putt, I picked up my red leather bag with the strap too long and dragged it down the fairway . . . . .

“Gib, look,!” said my father, pointing at the green where my ball was creeping slowly done the slope.

I stopped and stared, watching my ball totter towards hole, one tortured turn at a time . . . . until it fell into the cup for a four.

3 wood O.B. off the tee . . . . and draino with a four-wood from the fairway. It still seems impossible to this day.

My father made the six footer coming back from the front fringe for his par and the rest was a mere formality.

Dad gave me the $100 bill . . . . . I spent it on a new glove, more balls and a new pair of black-on-black Foot Joys, not made of corfam – although I still wore white socks even with dark pants, just like today.

Ironically, I think that was the last par I ever made on the 16th at Pasatiempo . . . . . .    

Ditto.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Sean Leary

« Reply #98 on: February 10, 2010, 01:24:38 PM »
The second of 2 double eagles in a 3 month period - the 2nd one was a par 4 ace.

Why was this one so thrilling?  It had never been done before on the hole (built in 1925 or so), and the foursome was my dad and two brothers.  We all play together about once every couple years or so...special indeed.

Where, Mike?

Jason Topp

« Reply #99 on: February 10, 2010, 02:12:19 PM »

I wish I could write . . . .

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back