News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

Re:Veeeeery private courses
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2005, 04:34:07 PM »
Doesn't Willie Nelson have his own golf course, too?

Yes, it's a 9 hole course that was originally 18 holes called Pedernales Golf Club. A buddy of mine played it with Willie and said all the fairways are lined with hippies camping out on the property.

About owning a golf course, Willie said there was some benefits...  "Par is anything you want it to be. For instance, this hole here is a par-13 and yesterday I birdied the sucker."
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 04:34:49 PM by Mike Vegis @ Kiawah »

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2005, 04:42:54 PM »
There is a house on the West side of Pacific Coast Hightway
just south of Pepperdine in Malibu that has what looks like a
100 yard par 3 or so in the back yard, set on cliffs over the
ravines and with a gorgeous pacific ocean backdrop...Ill post
a pic if I get a chance, but its a par 3 that any course would
be proud to have...tee off from near the road, hit across the
canyon to the perched green...anyone know more about this
hole?  You can see it easily from PCH :)

Here's the GoogleEarth aerial of it (there's a few holes on that property):

Here's a couple more close-ups of that personal course:

Craig Sweet

« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2005, 04:57:04 PM »
Yes! Crystal lakes in Fortine, Montana...As I heard the story this guy had the course built along with some luxury townhouses for his wealthy friends. After a couple of years the residents started complaining about something and he said screw you, bought them all out, and bulldozed the townhouses down. If I heard the story right, the superintendent had to get his pilots license so he could shuttle this guys planes around.  
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Joe Perches

« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2005, 05:47:01 PM »
There is a house on the West side of Pacific Coast Highway just south of Pepperdine in Malibu that has what looks like a 100 yard par 3 or so in the back yard

It seems the (new?) owners are now less interested in golf and/or course maintenance.  No pins on the holes and yesterday it seemed overgrown.

Here is a huge recent image:
http://www.californiacoastline.org/cgi-bin/image.cgi?image=200500390&mode=big&lastmode=sequential&flags=0&year=2005
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 05:59:16 PM by Joe Perches »

JLahrman

« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2005, 08:04:03 PM »
Jeez Scott, can you tell us what they're having for dinner in there?  Ah, technology.

George_Bahto

« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2005, 08:41:51 PM »
David Tepper/Steve Currey:

wasn't the HominyHills course origianally called "Sonny Jim's?"
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Matt_Ward

« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2005, 08:44:19 PM »
George:

Sunny Jim's is now Medford Village in South Jersey. Designed by William & David Gordon and one of the more underrated layouts in the Garden State.

I believe Henry Mercer -- original owner of Hominy Hill -- always used the name even when the course was private.

Hope this helps ...

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2005, 09:26:14 PM »
Jeez Scott, can you tell us what they're having for dinner in there?

It looks like salmon tacos with a black bean & corn relish and a white Zinfandel.

Robert_Ball

« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2005, 02:39:12 AM »
The Annenberg estate course in Rancho Mirage is a Dick Wilson design, 1962.  9 holes+some pitch-n-putts.  Condition used to be impeccable for the likes of Reagan, Sinatra and Hope but I suspect maintenance has been minimal since Annenberg passed away.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2005, 09:09:46 PM »
Just learned last week of another such place that must have just opened recently called Canyata Golf Club in Marshal, IL.  I hope to play there next week.  (Still working on it Barney dont give up hope)

From what I understand it started out as a guy who wanted to build a few holes on a large family retreat property, when an architect was brought in they convinced him to do at least 9 and that eventually became 18.  From what I have heard he is still the only member, dont know for sure if that is the long term plan.  I have heard it is pretty good.  Apparently Bob Lohmann did it.  We shal see.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2005, 09:11:10 PM by Turboe »
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Gerry B

« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2005, 03:00:34 AM »
Albert Lasker- a Chicago Ad exec had Flynn design a course on his Lake Forest estate called Mill Road Farm - was supposed to be a very tough track -estate was sold in the 1950's and the course demolished.

Up in cottage country north of Toronto there is course that has 6 green complexes - multiple tees - 1 member - one of my friends owns the house next door and has playing privileges.

Have played Rockwood Hall, Floridian, Ellerston  - great ambience.Also played the Capital Club in Melbourne which is adjacent to Kingston Heath.I was the only player on the course the entire day. They told me that they average 1000 rounds a year.The owner's inspiration was  Shadow Creek and even had a Shadow Creek room in the clubhouse.

Has anyone played the Institute? Was invited but had already set up a game at another course that day.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back