News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Goody

Re:Veeeeery private courses
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2004, 02:41:24 AM »
The Walter Annenberg estate in Wynnewood, PA has a few greens and tees on the grounds. I've never gotten closer than the fence to take a look around- and didn't see much from there. It looked very well manicured, but couldn't get any feel for how it would play or how it set up. Not bad- a full 18 holes in rancho mirage and a little place to practice on the main line...

Anyone know anything about the Wynnewood holes?

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2004, 05:26:03 PM »
If you get a chance to visit Rich Harvest, don't miss the car collection.

I didnt even mention the car collection as it is OT of GCA and some here might actually think that such a thing shouldnt be mentioned in discussion of a golf course.  But having said that you are correct the car collection which obviously is another passion of Mr. Rich's is located in a large building on the grounds of the original farm area.  And it is unbelievable!!!!!!
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

CHC1948

« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2004, 07:01:34 PM »
Floridian-It's tech. owned by wayne and his wife, they are the only two full members.  The guest list is closer to 200 or 250.  I heard this from the head pro there serveral years back.  I know there is no guarantee from year to year to be asked back.  I played it in 00' with my friend and I thought it was very average in design, however, the condition were great and the clubhouse was perfect.  Wayne was there the day I was and I was taken off the course to the range to avoid wayne seeing anybody.....apparently he doesn't like to see anyone when he plays...I think he has earned that right.

CHC  

Steve_Roths

« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2005, 09:01:03 AM »
Isn't there a super private Fazio course with Wayne in North Carolina somewhere.  I can't remember the name of it.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2005, 09:04:53 AM »
The Walter Annenberg estate in Wynnewood, PA has a few greens and tees on the grounds. I've never gotten closer than the fence to take a look around- and didn't see much from there. It looked very well manicured, but couldn't get any feel for how it would play or how it set up. Not bad- a full 18 holes in rancho mirage and a little place to practice on the main line...

Anyone know anything about the Wynnewood holes?

They're done by Ault and Clark and can be made into a 12 hole course.

Jason Tetterton

« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2005, 09:13:43 AM »
Black Diamond is the Fazio in the mountains of NC.

Robert Kimball

« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2005, 09:40:27 AM »
Dont know the exact specifics, but I have driven by and seen, and seen the aerial view of a course in north Atlanta (near CC of South area I think) that is in some guys yard.  Albiet a very large yard.

As I recall the course has 6 greens and multiple tee locations and fairway combinations that make it play like 18 different holes.

Anyone who knows more about who owns this place can jump in and give some more details.

you are right Turboe. I wish I knew more to tell you, but he does have a six-hole course on his property in the Alpharetta area.  
I heard that he invented the magnetic strip on the back of ATM and debit cards. So everytime you use your card, he probably gets a cut!!!! Heck, my wife alone has helped build and maintain one of the golf holes. . .  ::)

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2005, 09:53:11 AM »
Black Diamond is the Fazio in the mountains of NC.

I think you mean Diamond Creek.  Black Diamond is Fazio in Florida.

Ken Bramlett

« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2005, 10:13:17 AM »
There's the AIG golf course in New York that's been in the papers recently.  Named "Morefar," it was built by old man Starr sometime in the 1940's as an exclusive club for top AIG performers and some of their select guests.  The course's design has been maligned, but I don't know anyone who's even seen pictures of it.  Supposedly, the golf course has bronze sculptures in and around it (some of which may even be in play).

One of my favorites is the putting green built behind one of the private residences at Pine Valley.  I can't remember exactly where the home is, but Erskine Bowles used to be one of the owners and there was a basement wall in the house that was signed by all the celebrities who had stayed there through the years.  The green was maintained by the club's greens crew and, although fairly flat, seemed to be kept in the same shape as the golf course's greens.  

Steve_Roths

« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2005, 10:28:35 AM »
Isn't there a Fazio par 3 course out there that is very private.  Is it called Headwaters or something?

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2005, 10:33:53 AM »
Isn't there a Fazio par 3 course out there that is very private.  Is it called Headwaters or something?

Yes, it's next to Wade Hampton.

Steve_Lemmon

« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2005, 10:42:03 AM »
One of the zz top band members (I think Frank Beard) has a 3 hole course around his place in Richmond, Texas.  

Andrew Cunningham

« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2005, 10:55:51 AM »
Domaine Laforest near Quebec City is arguably the least visited ultra private course in North America.  I've never met or heard of anyone who has played it.  No members, no fees, but apparently a full staff to cater to the Desmarais family who owns it.  Here's a lame picture I tried to steal from the architect's (Thomas McBroom) website:

MarkT

« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2005, 11:05:54 AM »
Doesn't Willie Nelson have his own golf course, too?

Yes, it's a 9 hole course that was originally 18 holes called Pedernales Golf Club. A buddy of mine played it with Willie and said all the fairways are lined with hippies camping out on the property.

There's also a golf course outside Columbus, Texas (about halfway between Houston and San Antonio) called "The Falls" that is owned by a petrochemical billionare. It's open to the public but as the head pro told me, "The guy doesn't like anyone on his course when he's playing". It's semi-private with 80 members.

MarkT

« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2005, 11:20:24 AM »
Mark T: does it have many pot bunkers? Are the greens pot annua?

;D

I bet the rough is made of weed(s).

Rumor has it, Willie uses his Mercedes in the winter because the heater works better than his golf cart's.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2005, 11:32:15 AM »
Does anyone know about a course near Montreal or Quebec built by the Desmarais family?  Tom McBroom may have been the architect?

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2005, 12:24:34 PM »
Lou,

Look up 4 posts.

john_stiles

« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2005, 01:43:54 PM »
Looked through the various posts and did not see this course.  Any details on this course built by Earthforce.

Hansen Estate , Ambler, PA, Bud Hansen design.
Earthforce build private golf course on the Estate. 6 greens, 15 Tees, and irrigation lake.

Just curious and it would seem to be in Philly area.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2005, 01:51:55 PM »
John,

I think you might find it on a Google aerial just northwest of the Fort Washington (Rt. 309) interchange of the turnpike.

Notable by a cloverleaf shaped bunker and two ponds.

Steve_Lemmon

« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2005, 04:05:14 PM »
While it is good fun, no one would call Willie's course "exclusive."  Any one can show up and play.  His recording studio is next to the club house.  Likewise, the Falls course, last I checked, allowed a lot of daily play.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2005, 04:13:28 PM »
There's a place near Troy,MT called Crystal Lake...very...very exclusive...I have heard stories...I have heard its a fantastic course...supposedly there's a hole with a green floating in the lake and the "cart path" out to it is sumerged about 6"-10" so you can't see it...the rich SOB that own the course has a landing strip for his collection of over 50 planes and of course in case Jack or Arnie fly in for a round...has anyone else heard about this course?
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Chris Pike

« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2005, 04:16:07 PM »
There is a house on the West side of Pacific Coast Hightway just south of Pepperdine in Malibu that has what looks like a 100 yard par 3 or so in the back yard, set on cliffs over the ravines and with a gorgeous pacific ocean backdrop...Ill post a pic if I get a chance, but its a par 3 that any course would be proud to have...tee off from near the road, hit across the canyon to the perched green...anyone know more about this hole?  You can see it easily from PCH :)

Here's the GoogleEarth aerial of it (there's a few holes on that property):

"Golf is a game in which you yell Fore, shoot six and write down five."  -Paul Harvey

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2005, 04:22:05 PM »
There's a place near Troy,MT called Crystal Lake...very...very exclusive...

Craig,

Is this the course you are referring to:

FORTINE, MT
Crystal Lakes Golf Course
Holes: 18
Yardage: 6500
Par: 71
Rating: 72.3
Slope: 126
Telephone: (406) 882-4455
This course, at 3100' above sea level, is bordered on 3 sides by the Kootenai, Stillwater, and Flathead forests. The vistas are filled with waterfowl and other wildlife. Private.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 04:26:27 PM by Geoffrey_Walsh »

Chris Pike

« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2005, 04:31:51 PM »
The land across the road from Atlantic CC in Bridgehampton, NY features an estate course, which I imagine is private. It was designed by Rees Jones, and from aerial photography looks similar in style to it's neighbour. The course features something like 4 greens and many tee options to create many different holes.

Here's the pic:

"Golf is a game in which you yell Fore, shoot six and write down five."  -Paul Harvey

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2005, 04:33:23 PM »
Did a quick Google on Crystal Lakes and found one of the more random items you'll find on a golf course - a complete replica of Stonehenge is on the property:

www.andersonmasonryinc.com/stonehenge.php

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back