News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dr._Katz

Re:If I was Hootie I would ....
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2004, 03:30:25 PM »
Mr. Sweeney --

Regarding your introductory post on this thread, Ran Morrissett IS a member of Augusta National GC and has been for the past 2 years.  The teeming masses have not heard of this due to his reluctance to having some of you cigar smoking, cart riding, cell phone carrying, name dropping barbarians hit him up for an invitation to play.  When he's ready, he'll let us know about it.

Carlyle Rood

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2004, 04:10:54 PM »
Matt:
You are 100% correct. Gone is the excitement.
Cary

Matt, Cary, et al:

SUNDAY TELEVISION
Baseball: Cubs at Braves, 1pm, TBS, WGN
NBA: Lakers at Kings, 3:30pm, ABC
LPGA: Takefuji Classic, 5pm, Golf Channel
NHL: Red Wings at Predators, 4pm, ESPN
Tennis: Davis Cup - Sweden vs. USA, 2:30pm, ESPN2

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2004, 05:29:48 PM »
Send John D. Bernhardt an invitation to join ANGC.

s. mann

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2004, 10:22:40 PM »
...............cut down all the freakin' trees they have planted there since bobby jones and alister mackenzie passed away! ;D

Jim Thompson

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2004, 10:32:11 PM »
... take the lead in defending the tradition of the game by:

1.  embracing the "competition tour ball"
2.  returning the original width to the course via the elimination of the recent tree program and rough
3.  return tees to more recent locales

And I'd do it all in the no nonsense approach of the late Clifford Roberts.

Jim Thompson

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2004, 10:36:14 PM »
Great post Mathew Ward!

Have no gallery!  Could you imagine just remote television monitoring the play.  No miles of television wire.  No browned out walkways.  No friendly bounces off (barf) "patrons".  No hat tipping and sheepish smiles.  Just competitive golf in the quiet elements.  Just golf as we spy from our electronic monitors in our living rooms...

JC

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2004, 01:25:42 AM »
Carlyle,
I feel inclined to ask you to show me in MacKenzie's verses in Golf Architecture, Spirit of St. Andrews and any of the various smaller articles written by him that would lead you to this opinion. I also ask the same of Bobby Jones and any of contributions on the subject.

I need to know the facts!:)

What I know of MacKenzie usually pertains to Nature, wide fairways, wild and natural bunkering, unique greens that have undulations that make the game fun and exciting that work with the ground game, as well as the strategy of the fairways that lead you to them, plus, and a big plus--V-A-R-I-E-T-Y!  How many deceptive features and interesting heroic recoveries have been eliminated from the planting of trees at AGNC? What are the new and provocative changes that make ANGC so much better in your theories of "Evolution?" Maybe in the study of how to grow perfect turfgrass with an unlimited budget, but what is the "meat" of the real design facts?

Ask any superintendent in this discussion group what they think of the evolution of Augusta National and how it has affected their daily lives. I don't think you'll get the type of answer your looking for, but they would undoubtedly be impressed of the operation to get it that way, as they too can dream of having a blank check to maintain their beloved course as well as the sufficient crew and equipment to do so.

But I'm in total agreement with you, I do agree with your statement about room in the "grand" portfolio. Surely anyting with the name Robert Tyre Jones (the good RTJ) and Dr. Alister MacKenzie deserves its due. Its just unfortunate that its also the perfect example of how extreme the changes are that have been made to this course by those two dynamic personalities who had a vision; an idea what their course in a most desolate corner of Notheast Georgia should play like. To me, its about how all of the parties who have involved themselves have drastically changed that vision. You call it evolution, I call it destruction with intent of doing earthly harm, and it has occured annually for the last five+ years, but has existed since George Cobb and maybe even Robert Trent Jones (the bad RTJ) were given the go ahead to make insidious changes. You can also add Jack Nicklaus'* name to that too!

(*Better make that Bob Cupp!)

Personally, everytime I see that crushed white marble sand, the shapes of the bunkers, loss of key and important strategies, the growing of rough and planting trees to tighten drive areas in defense of Mother Par, it makes me want to stick a hot needle in my eye.

Matter of fact make it two hot needles. I need another for the other eye!

I really do think that beyond all of the "Homer" stuff, and there is nothing wrong with loving this tournament; the floura and fauna and the jubilee that goes with it, that you do know where the true greatness of AGNC lies--It just its covered-up in a blanket of popular belief that Green is good, especially when your wearing a jacket of the same color.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2004, 01:31:09 AM by Tommy_Naccarato »

George Pazin

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2004, 03:22:49 AM »
....realize that protecting par isn't important at The Masters, chop down the trees, cut down the second cut, get rid of the ridiculous tee on 18 and move the 10th green back up to the doc's bunker.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Danny Goss

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2004, 03:54:35 AM »
.......change my name

Jason Mandel

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2004, 05:29:46 AM »
Allow fans to be called FANS,
Allow Rough to be called ROUGH
Call the tournament wha it is a TOURNAMENT, not a TOONAMENT!
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2004, 07:51:04 AM »
George Pazin,

Returning # 10 green to it's original location would be a huge mistake.  It's a far, far better hole in its current form.

As to tee lengthening, elasticity was intended and incorporated in the designs of many classic architects.

Bobby Jones intended for his par 5's to be reachable with risk.
He never envisioned wedges into them, hence lengthening has preserved the original design intent quite well.

I believe that # 7 and # 16 are also better holes then the originals, hence, not all changes are bad..

Andy Hodson

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2004, 09:24:39 AM »
Earlier I posted how I found it interesting how human nature works, re: how we want Augusta to return to its shorter length, but we don't want the guys hitting wedges into the par 5s.

Well, in light of Matt and Cary and Tommy wishing Augusta would revert back so as to promote the swashbuckling style of back 9 charges we so fondly remember, it is interesting to note that since 1991 every Masters winner has started the final round in either the first or second place. That is, no one in the last 14 years has won that was not in the final group.

I have no stats for the other majors, but I'd be interested to see the comparison. I do know that Ben Curtis was not in the final pairing in  last years Open Championship.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2004, 10:39:32 AM »
Andy, I find that an interesting post. I am still under the illusion that major moves on the back nine are part of the masters sunday lore. Oh I guess now that we handled OU, the Horns hat obligation has a hall pass for a while.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2004, 08:08:39 PM »
Hootie was probably doing a slow burn when Phil wanted Jim Nance to shut up and give him the green jacket.

Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Mike Hendren

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2004, 10:10:22 PM »
A. Invite Mucci, Rood, Gracely and JakaB down in appreciation of defending Augusta National Golf Club from the GCA cognoscenti;  

B.  Take out the trees on 7, 11 & 15 and cut all grass at fairway height; and

C.  Pronounce "turnument" like everybody else in the South does.

D.  Take credit for an excellent Sunday set-up.

Mike

« Last Edit: April 11, 2004, 10:12:31 PM by Mike_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back