News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Sweeney

If I was Hootie I would ....
« on: April 09, 2004, 08:13:06 PM »
1. Not make any changes to the golf course for 3 years to see how the course settles in.

2. I would consider a "Tournament Ball" after the 3 year period is over rather than make more changes.

3. I would invite one of the wives of the current members to be a member in order to break the ice.

4. I would invite Ran Morrissett to be a member.

5. I would invite Tom Watson to be a member.

6. I would invite Seve Ballesteros to be a member.

Jfaspen

Re:If I was Hootie I would ....
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2004, 08:18:26 PM »
Hootie doesnt have complete control of the membership, I think that is done through a committee...  

Jeff

noonan

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2004, 08:23:30 PM »
Cut the rough down.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 09:14:11 PM »
It will be tremendously interesting to see if anyone is able to mount any kind of a charge on the back nine on Sunday.  The weather is supposed to be 81 and sunny on Sat., then possible showers (40%) on Sunday.  If things continue as they seem to be now, it will be very unlikely that anyone come out of the pack, which creates much more drama that leaders coming back to the pack by making bogeys.  If that is the case, then maybe removing the rough would be a logical consideration, but it will never happen.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

DTaylor18

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2004, 09:15:57 PM »
Invite Mike Sweeney to play it as often as he wanted!

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2004, 09:19:32 PM »
Open the course the day after the Masters to all CGA members.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2004, 09:32:52 PM »
Invite Mike Sweeney to play it as often as he wanted!

Seriously, there are many others who appreciate the club/course more than me and should be invited before me.

Carlyle Rood

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2004, 10:08:39 PM »
If things continue as they seem to be now, it will be very unlikely that anyone come out of the pack, which creates much more drama that leaders coming back to the pack by making bogeys.

There were a few 67s posted today.  The record is 64!  Coupled with the vulnerability to shoot 72 or greater, there's more than enough opportunity for someone to mount a charge.

No one made a charge in 2002 because Tiger was too far in front and they (Els, Singh, Mickelson) were required to take too many chances.  Mattiace (sp?) made a remarkable charge last year.  Mickelson set the record for most birdies in a Masters last year.  K.J. Choi shot 30 on the front today.  Great scores are available.

Watson made the observation that the course is "now playing like it did when I was winning Masters."  It's frustrating to listen to all the whining about how the course has been ruined.  

Bottom line, most people on this board presume change is bad.  I'm not going to get on that bandwagon.  There's still plenty to admire about the old girl.

CORRECTIONS:

* There have been 3 rounds of 67 thus far; but, only two of them were on Friday.

* The course record is 63.  The course record in the final round is 64.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2004, 11:45:18 AM by Carlyle Rood »

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2004, 10:35:00 PM »
Carlyle,
I heard the Watson interview, and what he said was that the scores of -6, -5, etc., were similar to what they were when he was winning the tournament.  That may be splitting hairs, I realize, but that isn't the same thing as saying that the course is playing the same.  

Additionally, there were not several 67's today; there were two (Love and Flesch) and 5 others shot 69.  That was all.

Finally, everyone agrees that this is the first opportunity to see what the course changes have wrought; Mattiace's "charge" last year was not under the conditions that the club desired to create.

I didn't mean to say that the course is ruined.  I DO think that it is a lot more in keeping with the spirit of that course to see somebody have a shot at shooting 31 coming in (a la Jack before the tech boom!) than to watch everyone try to simply survive, and a "charge" consist of the leaders backing up to the field.  If the scores stay as they are for the next two days, or rise as the course dries out even more, I think that might well be the scenario we are watching on Sunday afternoon.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Thomas_Brown

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2004, 11:59:49 PM »
I think Watson also said that the clubs into greens were now more similar to his era.  He seemed positive about the changes.

Tom

blasbe1

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2004, 12:17:02 AM »
I'm not sure that Watson and Seve need to be "invited" to join the membership . . . my understanding is that if you're qualified to play in the tourney you have unlimited access to the course and grounds.      

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2004, 12:46:32 AM »
Carlyle,

Just for the record, the record at Augusta National is 63, set first by Nick Price in 1986, and equalled by Greg Norman in 1996.

Tyler Kearns

blasbe1

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2004, 12:56:46 AM »
Tyler:

All truths are "new," sorry.   ;)

JKB

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2004, 01:35:00 AM »
....step down as Chairman and let this tournament return to its intended style of play.

Jeff F.
#nowhitebelt

Andy Hodson

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2004, 09:30:39 AM »
Just an observation...proving that, though we may value being prinicpled on this board, we still want what we want...

How come we complain the ball is going too far and these pros are hitting par 5s with mid and short irons now, BUT its bad that Augusta lengthened its par 5s to where the guys can't reach them with the same clubs as before?

To restate: not pointing a finger or placing blame...just finding human nature continually fascinating.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2004, 11:07:59 AM »
Andy -- Because of the negative influence Augusta's current direction has on the rest of the golf. Letting the equipment dictate the length of golf courses is the wrong direction, and ANGC is one of the leading culprits.

Yes, many of us would like to see the pros hitting 3-woods to par 5s again...or at least 5-woods. But there's a better way to do it than lengthening golf courses. Put a cap on ball distance, or roll it back, and suddenly courses won't need to be stetched and stretched and stretched to keep up with the labs at Callaway and Titleist.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Michael Moore

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2004, 11:37:52 AM »
. . . continue to introduce the winner on television by showing me in idle conversation with some random people for a few minutes, and suddenly busting out with -

"Well, LOOKY HEAH, the winnah of our toonamint is a-comin' towahds the Butlah Cabin!"
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Carlyle Rood

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2004, 11:49:08 AM »
Andy -- Because of the negative influence Augusta's current direction has on the rest of the golf...

I wouldn't characterize Augusta National as a negative influence on the game of golf.  Your evidence is a myopic, to be charitable.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2004, 12:19:12 PM »
Mike:

Bring back the OLE Augusta -- it's time for the kind of swash-buckling that made Sundays so compelling. I don't watch the Masters to get a repetitive US Open event with various players throwing up on themselves.

I want to see the kind of charges that made no lead safe because people could make runs such as Jack's back in '86 or Player's final 18 in '78.

The greatness of Augusta was that it could be so entertaining and make players rise up to shoot the kind of scores that would threaten the folks at the top of the board.

If the ole course could do so well for so long until the folks succumbed after Tiger's win in '97 I don't why well enough could not have been left as is.  

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2004, 12:26:34 PM »
Carlyle,
There's nothing wrong with being a homer, but just who is being myopic here!

I'm sure you and several others have all the reasons int he world to loveAugusta and the pride that it beings one of the most beautiful states in the Union (At least I'm told its beautiful)  But the Masters Toonament to me has done only one thing--created a myopic view of what golf should be like maintenance wise and soon to be architecture wise.

Instead of promoting the wide open nature of play, it is now promoting rough, tree planting and still the widespread belief that a golf course has to be green to be good. It has promoted the theory that its O.K. to destory a classic course designed by two of the greatest names in the Game of Golf. You have been to Cypress Point. Do you actually believe that Dr. Alister MacKenzie wanted this golf course to look like this? If you think so, then when you say the word Myopic, you better be looking in a mirror!

At least when I visit golfarch.com, I tend to see images of Dr. Alister MacKenzie drawn in the hand of one Carlyle Rood, and they are impressive, but why on earth would you draw them if you didn't believe in what he preached?

Much more to talk to you about this off-line!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2004, 12:30:33 PM by Tommy_Naccarato »

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2004, 12:26:57 PM »
Right on Matt!

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2004, 12:38:27 PM »
Carlyle Rood --

You've broadened my comment to an extent that I didn't intend. I stand by my statement that allowing equipment advances to dictate the lengthening of golf courses is a negative trend for the game, and I also stand by my statement that Augusta National is one of the prime culprits, because of its huge visibility and impact on the public. I think my evidence is sound.

In no way would I say that Augusta National has had an overall negative effect influence on the game of golf. I didn't mean that, and I didn't say that.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Jfaspen

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2004, 02:26:07 PM »
Winning the tournament gets you an honorary membership to the club..  Being that you can play there whenever you want and bring guests in the week before the masters.
Full membership allows for voting privlidges and full guest privlidges.

Jeff

I'm not sure that Watson and Seve need to be "invited" to join the membership . . . my understanding is that if you're qualified to play in the tourney you have unlimited access to the course and grounds.      

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2004, 02:30:33 PM »
Matt:

You are 100% correct. Gone is the excitement/

Cary
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Carlyle Rood

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2004, 03:16:01 PM »
But the Masters Toonament to me has done only one thing--created a myopic view of what golf should be like maintenance wise and soon to be architecture wise.

Instead of promoting the wide open nature of play, it is now promoting rough, tree planting and still the widespread belief that a golf course has to be green to be good. It has promoted the theory that its O.K. to destory a classic course designed by two of the greatest names in the Game of Golf.

I think there's room in the golf course architecture portfolio for Augusta National.  I don't think the National advocates destroying classic golf courses.  And while Jones and MacKenzie may not endorse all the changes to the National, I suspect on the whole they would be supportive of the course's evolution.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back