News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re:Augusta National Golf Club - Best All Around?
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2004, 04:41:46 PM »
Huck, you don't have to "hit" all the greens at Oakmont, you can run shots on a number of the greens from way out in front.  All of the front-to-back sloping greens are wide open in front -- #1, #10, #12 -- and for a hack like me that's the only way to stay on the green.  The shorter holes like #2 and #17 are well bunkered, but you can bounce it on most of the others except #8 with the world's largest bunker!  Oakmont is really fun even while it's beating your brains out!

THuckaby2

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2004, 04:44:46 PM »
Bill:

That was a poor choice of words on my part.  All I meant was have a few shots intended to end up on greens actually do so.  From what I've read, seen and heard about Oakmont, that is exceedingly difficult to do, whatever manner the ball gets there.

And I'm sure it is fun whilst getting one's brains beat out... that's the same thing I'd say for Shinnecock... but that's for a one or just a few times visitor.  Would that not get old after awhile?

TH

ed_getka

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2004, 05:02:55 PM »
Mike,
  If you are not losing sleep yet I'm worried your heart isn't beating. ;D See you at Rustic.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2004, 12:20:16 AM »
Tom, I only know one Oakmont member; he grew up next door, has always been a member, and says things like, "No problem, a lot of great pars made from there!"

I think you would be a really solid player if Oakmont was your home course.  Otherwise you'd be a basket case!  Why?  Because if you miss a green, you almost always need a really deft little finesse shot just to have a makeable putt for par.  The greens are that fast.

But the greens are so true and pure that you can make a bunch of putts if you start them on line with a smooth stroke.  

One of the most embarrassing things you can do in golf is to hit a short downhill putt on the practice green on your way to the first tee, and watch it roll 10, 20, 30 feet past the practice cup, down the hill and into the middle of a group putting on #9.  Never practice downhill putts on that practice green!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back