News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Huxford

Australians - Alex Russell?
« on: July 04, 2001, 08:21:00 AM »

I'm just wondering if any of the Australian members of this discussion group can help me find out about courses designed by an Architect named Alex Russell.

As know he assisted Alister MacKenzie at Royal Melbourne West, built Royal Melbourne East on his own and then layed out Paraparaumu Beach, but I have no idea what other work he did.

The book I am reading at the moment by Geoffrey Cornish states he was quite prolific in Australia and I'm hoping someone can mention a few courses he did there.

Mark,

Josh_Taylor

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2001, 12:20:00 AM »
Mark,

Lake Karrinyup in Perth is an Alex Russell deisgn.  I think it has be redesigned quite considerably in recent years by Thomson Wolveridge and Perrett.  I have not seen the course since that time, but I think there were quite considerable changes made from what I heard.  In some instances I think holes were even reversed, but im not exactly sure what work was done.  Maybe Harley Kruse is lurking and can add more to what work was done.

I think Alex Russel, who was Mackenzie's Australian partner, also had involvement with Yara Yarra in Melbourne.

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2001, 12:34:00 AM »
Mark
Josh is correct in that both Lake Karrinyup and Yarra Yarra are Alex Russell designs. Yarra Yarra is often mistakenly credited to Dr Mackenzie but Mackenzie's account of his Australian trip makes no mention of any involvement at Yarra Yarra - I think it's pretty safe to credit this to Russell. Also Russell's involvement in the West course at RMGC should not be overlooked as it was left to Russell and Morcom to implement Mackenzie's plan ( which included I believe a number of Russell's suggestions). As the Dr. spent less than a month in Melbourne there is no doubt in my mind, that as the Dr's Australian partner, Russell should get more credit for his work on the West course.

Apart from Paraparaumu (of which you are familiar!) I am not aware of any other courses here that could be credited to Russell apart from RMGC East.

Josh hope you are well and still hitting the ball miles!
regards
Neil

Mark_Huxford

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2001, 03:17:00 AM »
Thank you both Josh and Neil. I thought analyzing his other courses would give me a little more insight into and understanding of PB. It's a safe bet no one involved in it's current revisions bothered to.

Mark,

T_MacWood

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2001, 06:54:00 AM »
Alex Russell's design activities have always confused me. MacKenzie made his famous trip to Australia in 1926 and never returned. He listed Russell as his partner at least through 1930 and in 1929 claimed to have designed 17 courses in Australia. After MacKenzie's death, I am not aware of any Russell design activity until he redesigned the existing 18 at Paraparaumu Beach in 1949. And if I'm not mistaken he lived well into the 1970's. Is it possible that MacKenzie was assisting Russell from a far?

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2001, 07:15:00 AM »
Lake Karrinyup is a very, very good design that gets unfairly dissed in The Confidential Guide. Though the construction of the bunkers isn't particularly noteworthy, the flow of the holes over the hilly property is.

Mark_Huxford

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2001, 08:01:00 PM »
Tom, here is MacKenzie's run through Australia and New Zealand as Geoffrey Cornish has written it in his book with Ron Whitten, The Golf Course.

Alexander (Alister) MacKenzie M.D. (1870-1934)

Australia:
Royal Melbourne West (c Alex Russell)
Australian GC

Sandringham GC
Victoria GC
Flinders GC
Lake Karrinyup CC (c Alex Russell)

Metropolitan GC
New South Wales GC

Yarra Yarra GC (c Alex Russell)

Australian courses remodeled by Alister MacKenzie:
Royal Adelaide

Royal Queensland
Royal Sydney

Kingston Heath

New Zealand:
Wellington GC at Heretaunga

New Zealand courses remodeled by Alister Mackenzie

Titirangi GC

===========================================

Alex Russell is credited with the three co-designs with MacKenzie plus;

Royal Melbourne East

Paraparaumu Beach Golf Links

Our club history here at PB mentions Russell spending several years in Britain before coming here so that must have been between 1932 (finishing RME) and 1946 (starting PB).

There was a war on during that time of course so it may have been that one of the greatest disciples of MacKenzie was cut short in his prime

All this just makes what is happening here at Paraparaumu more upsetting. Working backwards from Russell to his mentor MacKenzie and then from MacKenzie to his mentor H.S Colt, it only takes a few steps to return to many of the great heathland courses of England, the Eden course at St Andrews and then The Old Course itself.

Mark,

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2001, 02:55:00 PM »
Mark
A lot of what Cornish has listed is incorrect regarding Mackenzie's work here, certainly the time line is as Mackenzie arrived in Australia in October 1926 and left on 1st January 1927. I haven't got the time now to put down what I believe is a more accurate list, but will do it later.
Cheers
Neil

harley_kruse

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2001, 03:22:00 PM »
Neil

MacKenzie is credited with the bunkering at Kingston Heath but I wonder if Russell and perhaps some of his construction team from RM went down the road to the Heath to build the bunkers.

Can you shed any light on this??

Jason_Henham

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2001, 05:44:00 PM »
Harley,

I think you're right in relation to Kinsgton Heath's bunkers.

As a side note, I was recently in Flinders Books in Hawthorn (for those that don't know, Joe Johnson, author of several Australian club histories, owns Flinders Books) and whilst flicking through Kingston Heath's club history, out fell a member newsletter from 1985! The main topic of the newsletter was Mackenzie's bunkering! I might pick it up and see what the newsletter had to say about it.

Jason.

T_MacWood

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2001, 07:11:00 PM »
I do recall in the article written by MacKenzie describing his time in Australia that Neil uncovered, that he felt Morcom was a genius -- I do not believe he mentioned Russell.

Mark_Huxford

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2001, 08:04:00 AM »

Neil, Geoffrey Cornish has done similar lists for every prominent architect in golf up to 1980. It takes up the second half of the book but is actually the most interesting. MacKenzie's section, like the others, contains all the countries he built and remodeled golf courses in, not just Australia. The year given may relate to the date the course opened I think.

One of the best things about the book is where the author has bullet pointed the philosophies of some of the more famous Architects. Alister MacKenzie's '13 codified features' are particularly interesting.

The book also has personal information on the life of the Architect. Apparently MacKenzie served as a surgeon in the Somerset light infantry division during the Boer War. There he developed camouflage techniques by observing the Boer soldier's ability to hide effectively on the treeless veldt. Marshall Foch estimated MacKenzie's techniques reduced casualties on the Western Front during WW1 by one third.

In 1914 he won a competition in C.B MacDonald's Country Life magazine for the best two shot hole for the proposed Lido GC on Long Island. The competition was apparently judged by Bernard Darwin.

Jason_Henham

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2001, 08:47:00 AM »
Mark,

You're right with Mackenzie's bio details. The interesting point is that Mackenzie got some of his design philosophies from his experiences in the Boer war (ie the use of natural features).

It's worth checking out Mackenzie's book 'the Spirit of St Andrews' for discussion on some of these details. FlyingPigs.co.nz has it for about NZ$45.

Jason.

Josh_Taylor

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2001, 11:33:00 PM »
Tom,

You are right about Morcom.  I remember a newspaper article from the late 1920's in Melbourne that had a story on Mackenzie.  In that story Mackenzie was quoted as saying that Morcom was the greatest construction manager that he has ever seen or been associated with.

Harley,

Regarding The Heath bunkering, as far as I knew, dan Soutar was given the commission to do the course in 1923.  The bunkers weren't added until late 1297, corresponding to the same period of time that Mackenzie was in town.  I thought Soutar was having trouble creating the same style of bunkers that RM had so they commissioned Mackenzie to oversea the owrk for 250 pounds.  I guess he just passed on his ideas to Morcom and maybe had Russell there to finish the work once Mac had left.

Josh_Taylor

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2001, 11:35:00 PM »
Thats meant to be 1927, not 1297, sorry, I need some sleep.

Mark_Huxford

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2001, 03:06:00 AM »
Does Morcom have a first name?

Mark_Huxford

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2001, 03:20:00 AM »
From  http://www.royalmelbourne.com.au

Mackenzie only remained in Australia for three months. During that time he gave advice to a number of other golf clubs in Victoria, South Australia, New South Wales and Queensland. He was obviously impressed with Alex Russell, making him a partner, and with Mick Morcom who he described as "the best Greenkeeper I have come across in Britain, America or Australia." When he departed he left the supervision of the Royal Melbourne West Course to these two men.

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2001, 04:55:00 AM »
The absence of an ace construction manager/ green keeper at NSWGC explains why that course never fully developed into a MacKenzie artistic wonder ala Royal Melbourne, Kingston Heath, Cypress Point or The Valley Club.

harley_kruse

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2001, 04:44:00 PM »
Paul Daley(auothor of Links Golf) told me that someone was writing a book on Morcom.

Intersetingly a very special man called Claude Crockford was apprenticed to Morcom and I believe this was during Russell/Morcom's construction of the East Course. Claude went on to become Green Keeper at Royal Melbourne a position he held for 45 odd years. Jim Porter there today is only the 4th person to look after the 2 courses.

Ran, your observation re NSW are correct as it seems that the skills and flair rested with a few brilliant people in Melbourne

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2001, 12:01:00 AM »
Mick Morcom was the greenkeeper at RM when Mackenzie arrived. Morcom had constructed the layout of Kingston Heath but it was unbunkered, which Morcom implemented to Mackenzie's basic plan, but I'm sure he essentially did what he felt best considering Mackenzie was long gone. Mackenzie described Morcom's fairway contouring at the Heath as the most natural he had seen. I have a copy of Mackenzie's report to the club, only 1 and a half pages long, but very interesting reading, full of praise for Morcom and the existing course.

At RM, Morcom and Mackenzie together built the par 3 5th hole West prior to Mackenzie leaving, Mackenzie described it as a form of Eden and said it will be the best short hole in the southern hemisphere - and he was right! More on this in this year's edition of our SAGCA magazine, now renamed as "Golf Architecture", which for those Aussies out there will be for sale on the news-stands and for overseas readers by credit card subscription - more details later as we intend to publish in December this year, so watch this space!

Tom Mc, Russell was very definitely included in the Dr's Golf Illustrated articles on his Australian tour and very favourably referred to.

Harley, a fellow called John Scarth Lovell is publishing a book on Mick Morcom and his son Vern, a fully fledged architect in his own right. Lovell claims to have uncovered information that says that Mackenzie was a womaniser who was struck off the medical register and forced to change his name ( hence the Alexander Mackenzie to Alister MacKenzie) I'm not sure how much credence to put in this, but he seems to have done a lot of research into the Dr's activities on his Australian trip.

Coupling Mackenzie's own description with some info that Lovell has sent me, Mackenzie's trip essentially resulted in:
1. Royal Melbourne West, essentially a new course, but with a number of remodelled holes from the old course.
2. Metropolitan - remodelling of existing.
3. Sandringham - designed 5 new holes
4. Royal Adelaide - course remodelling, including some totally new holes
5. Kingston Heath - bunkering plus new 15th hole.
6. Victoria
7. Barwon Heads
8. Flinders
9. Royal Sydney, plus short course 9
10. The Australian, plus short course 9
11. Brisbane
12. Royal Queensland
13. Indoorooopilly, now St Lucia
14. Bonnie Doon
15. Manly
16. New South Wales

This would seem to be the extent of Mackenzie's involvement. There is no evidence to suggest that Mackenzie saw the Lake Karrinyup property, although his boat did dock in Fremantle onits way to Melbourne via Adelaide.

There is a book on its own I'd say just in Mackenzie's Australian tour and the results thereof. Any masochists out there!?
Neil

T_MacWood

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2001, 03:12:00 AM »
Neil
In 1929 MacKenzie broke out his Australian work in this way: Brisbane--3, Adelaide--1, Sydney--6 and Melbourne--7. Your list matches Brisbane and Adelaide, but has 7 in Sidney and 5 in Melbourne--any theories for the inconsistencies? Who designed and built Yarra Yarra and Royal Melbourne-East?

Mark_Huxford

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2001, 04:52:00 AM »

Tom,
The Royal Melbourne website and their centenary book credit the design of the East course Alex Russell and the construction of it to Mick Morcom.

The Yarra Yarra club have a site at [url]http://www.yygc.com.au[/ulr] on which this information is written;

By the 1920's the sandbelt area of Melbourne had been discovered. So in 1927, Yarra Yarra purchased land at its present site in East Bentleigh - in the same area as clubs like Metropolitan, Kingston Heath and Commonwealth. This beautifully undulating terrain provided ideal country for the creation of classic golf holes. Alex Russell, a local golf course architect, created the initial plans. Undoubtedly because of his skill, the famous Alastair McKenzie entered into partnership with Russell and is reputed to have had a hand in the bunkering at the course.

Neil wrote earlier in this thread that he believes it is safe to credit this course to Russell. MacKenzie lack of referal to it seems to back this up.

Mark_Huxford

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2001, 05:19:00 AM »
Neil,

Would you be able to put me in touch with John Lovell? I would like to ask him what he knows about Russell. Particularly what he did after Royal Melbourne East, just to get an idea of what influences he might have incorporated into Paraparaumu Beach.

hux@mailandnews.com if you can.

cheers,
Mark

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2001, 07:45:00 AM »
Of course I have to throw my two cents in, the buddinski that I am!

I have yet to make to the magical wonderland called Oz, but since knowing Neal, Brett, Josh, and others, hopefully I can get a free pass here to speak my peace.

I was made aware of the book by John Scarth Lovell along with its content and accusations. I was also pretty much aghast at the subject which doesn't really seem to be about Mick Morcum, but more about who bonked who, and how someone had to get out of town ASAP. I feel that this has absolutely nothing to do with the subject of golf architecture, but more of trying to discredit one of my, if not all of Golf's more genuine heroes--Dr. Alexander "Alister" MacKenzie.

And furthermore.......

So much has been said in the last years, all speculative of how much of the Good Doctor's involvement was with Royal Melbourne and other great courses in the land of Oz. Genuinely, I have to say that unless the proof is shown to me, confirming all of Mr. Lovell's research, I will continue on believing that Dr. Alister MacKenzie came to Australia on request of Royal Melbourne to design their golf course(s) and it was further subsidized by selling his services to other clubs while in town.

I have no problem giving Alex Russell credit of designing the Royal Melbourne East Course, especially since he was pretty much unheard of as an architect previous to Dr. MacKenzie's visits, but eventually was a partner to the doctor. I do have to ask though, "Why else would have the club brought-in MacKenzie if Russel and Morcom were so affluent with great golf design?"

There is little doubt in my mind that under the guidance and instruction of MacKenzie, Alex Russell and Mick Morcom learned what they were doing and not doing right. To think of their hard work, that has seen some of the great Melbourne sand belt courses, the total awe of a site like New South Wales which have evolved and stood the truest test of time would be the ultimate compliment. Surely these talents received their inspirations from somewhere, and considering that I have yet to see any evidence at hand stating their love for the Old Course on their trips abroad to Scotland, I will continue to think that it was the classic stories and conveyances of one extremely charming, bright and intelligent character that inspired them.

Given Dr. MacKenzie's personality, I doubt that he would have given anyone with the lack of talent to dictate what he envisioned, any credit for any design if he actually didn't mean it. This doesn't mean that MacKenzie didn't know how to properly schmooze the clientele, which I think we all know that to be an untruth. He would also have not one problem exposing what fools  any club was that didn't follow his instructions to the last order. I give this so-called charleton, much more credit then that.

Withether MacKenzie's stay was one month or one year, or even one millenium, to cast doubt on his character to charm, impress, inspire and oversee the games greatest moments in Australia and New Zealand would be of a crime of indecent preportions.

I write this from La Habra, California in the year 2001. Surely these golf courses, built in the 1920's, close to the eve of the World's Greatest Financial Depression, in a land far, far away that has such impact on the game as I know it, should mean something, shouldn't it?

T_MacWood

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2001, 09:14:00 AM »
Russell is a mystery to me. I know he won the Australian Open 1924, but was he designing courses prior to MacKenzie's arrival?

What was the nature of the partnership between MacKenzie and Russell? It seems obvious MacKenzie was taking credit for work done years after his departure and continued to list him as a partner for several years. Wouldn't that signify some kind of coordination between the two designers--one experienced and the other a neophyte. Is it possible that MacKenzie was designing these courses from a far via topo maps?  Is it concievable that MacKenzie was familar with the RM-East and Yarra Yarra sites from his 1926 visit? Has anyone uncovered corresponence between Russell and MacKenzie. Are there any existing plans drawn by Russell? Would Russell's lack of design activity prior and post MacKenzie lead one to conclude that he recieved help?

I've seen conflicting information in regards to Paraparaumu, I've seen one report that states Russell remodeled an existing course in 1949 with two other gentlemen. Another states his involvement began in 1930, but the work was delayed for nearly 20 years. Is the history of PGC well documented?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back