News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Charles River CC profile is posted
« on: July 11, 2001, 07:08:00 AM »
John Conley presently has a thread going re: hidden gems and Charles River CC would definitely qualify, as I doubt many folks outside of New England have heard of this Ross beauty.

Growing up, we all read about the Medinah's and Firestone's in such books as The World Atlas of Golf. While I haven't played those two, it is hard to imagine that they would be preferable spots for a daily game than Charles River ... or Essex County ... or Myopia Hunt... or Taconic ... or Ekwanok... etc.

Cheers to such courses. Also, our very own Ed Baker was one of the two driving forces behind Prichard's restoration efforts there and Ed is to be congratulated for MAKING A DIFFERENCE.

Cheers,

John_Conley

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2001, 07:20:00 AM »
I have seen Longmeadow and it fits in with the courses you mentioned.  I have it on good recommendation that I'd like Eastward Ho and Teugega.

I know a few people from Chas. R. and they all say the same thing you did.  I'd like to see it.

Ed_Baker

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2001, 11:29:00 AM »
Thanks for the kind words Ran,I'm sure most GCAers would enjoy The River.

We still have some tree work and green expansions to finish,but we are definitely getting there.

John Conley,and all the treehouse gang,if you are going to be in the Boston area this summer or fall e-mail me and i'll do my best to set up a game for you.

E-Mail bakergasman103@aol.com

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2001, 11:50:00 AM »
Wow!  And I thought the pictures of Salem CC looked great.  

Is the course as cool as it looks in pictures?  Ed, by what % would you estimate that Prichard improved the course through his restoration?  

Ed_Baker

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2001, 12:43:00 PM »
Mike,

I would say that Prichard improved the course by 50%.We had LOST SO MUCH of the shot values.

The fairway bunkers on the right side of #6 as shown in the course profile had been edged and constantly re-filled with sand to the point that after 75 years they were barely 18 inches deep! They were no penalty at all for a decent player. When we restored these bunkers the shaper,Michael Drake out of Framingham Ma. HAND DUG the last 8 inches until he hit soil to make sure the depths were original. We took almost 43 inches of contaminated sand mix out of these bunkers alone!

That's just one example of how badly the great design features of the course had deteriorated.

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2001, 11:23:00 AM »
Mike, Given how much you like Yale, you'll really like CRCC too as the land has lots of movement with each hole capped off by an interesting green. If Ed and Rhino get their way, more trees will be felled, more of the rugged nature of the property will be exposed, and everyone will be left wondering why they had never heard more about this course.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2001, 11:31:00 AM »
Ran;

Thanks for the tip.  I must say, it looks to be built over much of the same type of rugged terrain as Yale, if not quite as sprawling.  

I haven't been to New England in some time.  Hmmm.....I smell road trip!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back