News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ForkaB

Great Short par-3's?
« on: September 15, 2001, 05:17:00 PM »
On Chris Hervochon's impressive inaugural post he talks about the demise of the challenging short par-3 hole in today's architecture.  I wonder about how many really great ones exist, even from the "Golden Age."

To me, a great 100-150 yards hole should have the following characteristics, in rough order of importance:

1.  A clearly visualizable chance for a 2--if you hit the proper shot properly.
2.  A very good chance for a 5, or worse--if you hit an improper shot, or fail to properly execute the proper shot, but the possibility of a 3 if a great recovery shot is made.
3.  Exposure to the elements
4.  Visual appeal.

Because of the shortness of the hole, the margin for error on criterion #1 should be very small.

In running through my mind all of the possible candidates for "greatness" of the holes I have played I find the list to be very, very short.  Most candidates falter at the second hurdle.  Some, like the 7th at Pebble Beach, or the 8th at Olympic or the 4th at Nairn are too easy to bogey.  Some, like the 17th at TPC-Sawgrass are far too hard to par if your first shot is awry.

The only nomiations I have for this cartegory are, therefore, the following:

#3 Spyglass
#5 St. Andrews--Eden
#8 Royal Troon
#10 Royal Dornoch

I'll let you all know if #6 at NGLA mkaes the cut after I've (hopefully) played ther next month .

Any other nominations or comments on my criteria?

Chris_Hervochon

Great Short par-3's?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2001, 05:31:00 PM »
I have a few nominations...I think.  I found it interesting how you did not mention #10 at Pine Valley, 15 at Cypress Point, nor the 11th at Atlantic which I think is a splendid little hole.  Also, there was a short par-3 designed by Donald Ross in "Golf As It Was Meant to Be Played", though I forget where it was, it certainly did intrigue me.  As good as the above holes are, the Postage Stamp gets my vote.  Great post Rich!

jglenn

Great Short par-3's?
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2001, 05:39:00 PM »
Rich,

Since Royal Dornoch is your home course, I'm surprised you mentionned #10 instead of #6.  Is there something I missed when I was there? (other than the green, obviously... )

Steve Wilson

Great Short par-3's?
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2001, 07:02:00 PM »
Jeremy,

#2 at RDGC violates the yardage clause of Rich's requirements.  It plays between 165 and 185.

But let me tell about the 6 I made there in 1998...

Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Bill_McBride

Great Short par-3's?
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2001, 07:23:00 PM »
Rich, what's the downhill short hole at Presidio GC there in San Francisco? As I recall it's only about 130 yards, good sized green, and completely encircled with bunkers. Only about three foot strips of turf between maybe eight bunkers.  I distinctly remember making 5 there in the past through a series of distinctly unmemorable shots.  Given sufficently deep bunkers, a hole like that is a good 2 or 5 possiblity.

Bill_McBride

Great Short par-3's?
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2001, 07:26:00 PM »
Another good choice would be #4 at Valley Club of Montecito.  Just an 8 or 9 iron off an elevated tee, but you almost have to play it through the limbs of a couple of giant eucalyptus trees.  But it's a pretty easy 4 so I guess doesn't qualify.  I always feel really good about making 3.

Cory

Great Short par-3's?
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2001, 08:25:00 AM »
Number 17 at the Sand HIlls.  One of the great par 3's on the planet. If I remember, it is around 135 yards and not much room to work with.  A great hole.

ForkaB

Great Short par-3's?
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2001, 09:45:00 PM »
Chris

I haven't yet played (alas) Pine Valley or Cypress Point or Atlantic, so I can't really comment (although I have seen 15 at CPC, and I would say it's a pretty easy 4).

Bill

Haven't played Presidio either.  What a pathetically undergolfed soul am I!

Jeremy

Steve is right in that both #2 and #6 at RDGC are over 150 yards, so can't be called "short" under my definition.  By all other criteria, however, they get top marks, and in fact a 5 can be a very, very good score at either hole, without ever seeing a bunker or having to take a penalty shot.

Paul Turner

Great Short par-3's?
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2001, 05:40:00 AM »
Rich

Following your criteria, I'd put forward:

Porthcawl 7th
Muirfield 13th
Royal Aberdeen 8th
Casa de Campo 5th
Lahinch 11th
Dunstable Downs 9th

and possibly Royal County Downs 7th.

These holes fit the other criteria but aren't really that exposed.

Royal Ashdown 6th
Woburn 3rd
Swinley Forest 8th

Great holes that almost fit, and are probably only a few yards over 150.

Ballybunion 8th
Rye 7th

Jeff_Brauer

Great Short par-3's?
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2001, 06:03:00 AM »
Not sure it is great, as I only played it once, but it was interesting - Brian Huntley (a former Art Hills associate) designed a 98 yarder (middle tees, not much over 100 from the backs) at Carrington in Monroe, Michigan. Half/partial wedge (full wedge would be easier) humpback green and about 5% contours. If nothing else, it stuck out in my mind as a pretty original hole for the yardage alone.

Jeff

PS - I three putted for four!

Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Charles

Great Short par-3's?
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2001, 06:49:00 AM »
The 14th hole at Maidstone (picture is in profile on this site).

John_Ott

Great Short par-3's?
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2001, 07:01:00 AM »
Merion West #6

Fred C

Great Short par-3's?
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2001, 07:14:00 AM »
Merion East #13

Bill_McBride

Great Short par-3's?
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2001, 07:30:00 AM »
Rich: you can play Presidio anytime you want now; it's public!  Back in my SF days it was almost impossible unless you were a Nob Hill nabob or an E-3 on active duty!  It is a fun course, great up and down hill holes. The short par 4's are mostly uphill with tiny, well-bunkered greens.  I think it also has two mirrors for downhill blind shots, maybe only one, so it's certainly not a modern course.

Matt_Ward

Great Short par-3's?
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2001, 07:55:00 AM »
The 9th at The Kingsley Club / Traverse City, MI area.

Superb effort by Mike DeVries with infinite challenge from several different pin locations and tee placements.

Mike C

Great Short par-3's?
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2001, 09:13:00 AM »
Hands down.......#9 at Myopia Hunt is everything you could want in a short par-3

BillV

Great Short par-3's?
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2001, 09:49:00 AM »
Llanerch #17 (Where?  Near Merion in Philly)

#11 Shinnecock

Already mentioned

Royal Aberdeen #8
NGLA #6

How about that severely downhiller at Pocono Manor at 98 yards?

Someone will surely nominate #5at Inniscrone, but it isn't of the calibre desribed.

jglenn

Great Short par-3's?
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2001, 10:39:00 AM »
Your right Rich.  My memory failed me there.  #6, at 163 yards, is indeed slightly longer than I thought.  Still, it's shorter than the 10th, which measures 177 yards (albeit from that silly Tiger tee out in the dunes somewhere).

On another note, I'm surprised no one has mentionned two of the most famous short par 3's, namely 7th at Pebble Beach and 17th at Sawgrass.

ForkaB

Great Short par-3's?
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2001, 10:47:00 AM »
Jeremy

The "tiger" tee at the 10th is used only as a winter tee at RDGC.  I mentioned (and eliminated from consideration) both PB #7 and TPC #17 in my original post .

Rich

jglenn

Great Short par-3's?
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2001, 11:49:00 AM »
Right again, Rich!

Boy, I guess I need to read your original post a little more carefully next time, huh?  

Patrick_Mucci

Great Short par-3's?
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2001, 12:55:00 PM »
Rich,

# 2 at GCGC

RBoyce

Great Short par-3's?
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2001, 02:36:00 PM »
#9 TPC at Avenel

I think it meets the criteria, but Greg Norman thought it should be blown up.

I've seen 2 and 5 made many times at the Kemper.

John Lyon

Great Short par-3's?
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2001, 04:04:00 PM »
Matt, I agree with you that #9 at the Kinglsey Club fits the criteria but #2 is shorter and fits the criteria better (the requirement that hitting the green results in an easy par or possible birdie.....on #9 you can be on the green and putt into a bunker if you are in the wrong spot.  Great question Rich.

M.W._Burrows

Great Short par-3's?
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2001, 04:35:00 PM »
3 and 13 East at Winged Foot are scenic and tough at the same time.  Davis love bogeyed both of these holes in a Shell's match.

les_claytor

Great Short par-3's?
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2001, 06:37:00 PM »
A very good topic of an increasingly rare breed.  I've played a couple of examples worthy of study.  A good short hole diagram is the short downhill pitch over water in preferably windy conditions.  I believe Castlewood C.C. in northern Cal has a 120 yd. hole of this variety.

My favorite short pitch hole is the 16th at Shaker Hts. C.C. outside of Cleveland.  I've described this Ross beauty before because it is a simple yet risky pitch twenty-five feet uphill covering only 107 yd.  With out of bounds right, a slope and creek left, bunkers all around and a 3500 sq. ft. redan like green, pars are well earned and others abound.  The green was a bit severe for +10 green speeds, but hey it's only a short pitch.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back