News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Raymond

Dream Dinner
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2001, 08:02:00 PM »
This would be so much fun..

Old Tom Morris
Tommy Naccarato
Ted Robinson
Tom Doak
Rees Jones

I wouldn't have to say a word. Just lean back with my glass of Vino and let the good times roll!

Next night:
Bobby Jones
Ben Hogan
Jack Nicklaus
Lord Byron
Tiger Woods
The five greatest to ever grace the game.

T_MacWood

Dream Dinner
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2001, 08:47:00 PM »
Donald Ross
Alister MacKenzie
Willie Park Jr.
Hugh Alison
Horace Hutchinson

Stanley Thompson would be in charge of refreshments.

HWW Fan

Dream Dinner
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2001, 08:58:00 PM »
For those of you who selected HWW, may I suggest you just pick up the phone and give him a call for lunch or dinner.  I have done just that on two occasions -- out of the blue.  He is a treasure.  Lives in Massachusetts.  Why aren't more people consulting legends like this?

john f

Dream Dinner
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2001, 09:26:00 AM »
Raymond, you beat me too it. I had the same thoughts!

How about:

Gary McCord
Tom Doak
Seth Raynor
Eddie Hackett
Kay Cockerill or Annika Sorenstam

(Well versed dinner discussions, like some golf courses, need some eye candy)

Martini

Dream Dinner
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2001, 12:10:00 PM »
Moe Norman
Mac O'Grady
Gary McCord
David Feherty
Dan Jenkins

Gib Papazian

Dream Dinner
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2001, 01:29:00 PM »
Seth Raynor might not be the most engaging dinner companion - most accounts have him as a rather stoic man. So regrettably, I will have to exclude him from my "A" list.

However, here is my list:

C.B. Macdonald
Dev Emmet
George C. Thomas
Harry Colt
Stanley Thompson

However, with the exception of the great Macdonald, I would trade all of them in for a candlelight dinner with a 35 year old Katherine Hepburn . . . she loved golf you know.

Or, if we have a time machine,  how about a seat at the Calumet Club in New York in 1895? . . . . nahhh, I'll still take Katherine Hepburn.

richard

Dream Dinner
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2001, 02:19:00 PM »
Bill Murray
Rodney Dangerfield
Ted Knight
Chevy Chase
The Smails Kid (and 5 bucks says he picks his nose)

It all gets a bit too serious sometimes.

Of course we'd get pizza's delivered (I think Murray should have a coupon somewhere) and the finest Aussie brew..XXXX.

Steve Wilson

Dream Dinner
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2001, 03:40:00 PM »
I gave a lot of thought to this, enough that I'm sort of disapponted that it can't take place.  There are so many other combinations that would be just as intriguing.

Henry Longhurst
Bernard Darwin
Bob Jones
Donald Ross
Ben Hogan

Longhurst and Darwin--because of their breadth of experience and ability to articulate it.  They recognized great golf but could sympathize with the less accomplished and the trials that assail all levels of players.  And Darwin, at least, had a great eye for architecture.

Bob Jones--intelligence, gracious, articulate and accomplished.  Well rounded as were Longhurst and Darwin.

Ross-a great architect but not one with an overpowering or potentially obnoxious presence that would drive my fifth guest into his inpenetrable carapace.

Hogan--one of the most enigmatic figures in the history of golf and the possessor of a formidable analytic intelligence which he directed almost exclusively to the game and the techniques of striking a golf ball.  As he was more apt to state his opinions baldly without giving their basis.

I think, in this company, Hogan might loosen up provide something other than the facade he turned to all but a select few.

I would be content to keep the wine or spirits flowing and just listen.  Although I might not be above installing hidden video cameras or tape recorders.

Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Slag 'Bus Boy' Bandoon

Dream Dinner
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2001, 09:38:00 PM »
 Hmmm...
In the Bandon Resort lounge...everybody (but rebel Keith) having "Grandma's Meatloaf"
Dan King
Tim Weiman      
Dr. Keith (from Cleveland)   
John Kirk
Peter Pittock
Craig Edgmand   
Jim Urbana
John Vander Borght   
and your's truly just happy to be hangin' with the friendlies.   Rich Goodale and Darren Kilfara were missing as they were out doing their duty trying to get in a THIRD 18 on Pacific Dunes. (The more you play, the freer it is.) Dick Daley was just missed.  A toast was made in your honor.  

THuckaby2

Dream Dinner
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2001, 06:16:00 AM »
God dammit Slag... on the one hand, I am dying to hear about all this, on the other, I am so bummed I missed this event I DON'T want to know about it...

Oh well.  I can imagine this was one hell of a time, to put it mildly.  And Rich trying to get in more golf?  I'm only surprised 54 holes was his limit!

TH
who had the "volcano" 4 times whilst there last month!

RJ_Daley

Dream Dinner
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2001, 09:30:00 AM »
My wife has now confiscated all sharp objects and blunt instruments to protect me from myself...

Slag, you were in the presents of greatness this week, having grandma's meatloaf and all  

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Scott_Burroughs

Dream Dinner
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2001, 01:14:00 PM »
Gib,
  You chose Hepburn over golf nut Dinah Shore?  

From past eras, give me Ava Gardner or Natalie Wood, or just about any brunette.

In the interest of being a little more modern, I'll take candlelight with golf lover Catherine Zeta-Jones.

RJ_Daley

Dream Dinner
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2001, 01:45:00 PM »
As long as we are diverted to quiet dinners looking into limpid pools of golfingly feminine seduction, I'd go for haute cusine with Celine Dion and perhaps a Titanic rendition with the dessert wine.  What lady do you know that would buy her hubby his own golf course and enthusiastically play the game as well?  Darn that Renee, he beat me in robbing that craddle!
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Nikola Tesla

Dream Dinner
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2001, 02:13:00 PM »
Signore Naccarato

How soon you forget!

Paul Turner

Dream Dinner
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2001, 02:33:00 PM »
Peter Dobereiner
Helen Alfredson
Alister Mackenzie
Peter Alliss
Dave Marr

J Santos

Dream Dinner
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2001, 02:45:00 PM »
1) Se Ri Pak
2) Laura Baugh (circa 1980)
3) Jan Stephenson (circa 1970)
4) Laura Diaz
5) Kris Tschetter (circa 1990)

richard

Dream Dinner
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2001, 02:48:00 PM »
RJ

I'm confused about the Titanic rendition..

Do you mean the song...the "king of the world" theatrics...or the "hand in the misted car scene" ?????

RJD

Dream Dinner
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2001, 03:03:00 PM »
Simul et semel, Richard...

Slag_Bandoon

Dream Dinner
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2001, 07:25:00 PM »
 Can't edit dreams...
Mickey Wright slowly removing her horn-rimmed glasses while blowing out one of two candles. (I'd need to sit on the phone book to look her straight in the eyes)
Jack Lemmon - Because he played tirelessly and with such zeal even with limited skills.
Harvey Penick to unlimit my skills.
Glenna Collett Vare - Cute hats   
Archie Baird - Hmmm. this one's possible.
John Steinbeck -sitting beside Rocanante in  Monterey with a bottle of Jamesons.

Does anybody remember that show hosted and moderated by Steve Allen back in the 70's called Meeting of Minds ?  Where they'd take famous historical figures and set them around a table to discuss everything within the cosmos?  Marquis DeSade with Jesus, Shirley Temple and Genghis Khan, for instance. Great stuff.  

Paul_Daley

Dream Dinner
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2001, 02:40:00 PM »
Old Tom Morris
R.T. Jones
Ben Hogan
DR. Alister MacKenzie
Bernard Darwin

Steve Wilson

Dream Dinner
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2001, 02:46:00 PM »
Slag:

Re:  Steve Allen's program  "Meeting of the Minds." ???

Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

RobertWalker

Dream Dinner
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2001, 02:54:00 PM »
Pat Mucci
Jack Stack
Vanessa Del Rio
Barney Eff

'Ed Ricketts'

Dream Dinner
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2001, 03:23:00 PM »
Slag, you may actually touch "Rocinante" if you're bold enough to lean over the ropes at the Steinbeck Center in Salinas. Sadly, all you'll find of Charly is some photos. Count me in for dinner, being that I paid for most of them.

My dinner list:

Walter Hagen
John Low
Harry Vardon
Old Tom
Shivas Irons

Patrick_Mucci

Dream Dinner
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2001, 03:32:00 PM »
Robert Walker,

Who's our fifth ?

How about James D Standish Jr., President of the USGA in 1951, when the stymie was removed.

Slag_Bandoon

Dream Dinner
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2001, 06:56:00 PM »
Ed Ricketts!?  Of course you're invited.  You still drinking beer milkshakes?  I think it's about time we got the Western Flyer out and sail on down to the Sea of Cortez.  We can probably outfit it with the trading of a few hundred frogs.  ...and I promise I won't call you Doc.

Steve W, Yea, that's the one.  In fact it was your post that reminded me of it.    

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back