News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Lewis

Durban Country Club
« on: September 28, 2001, 11:12:00 AM »
Other than the mention in the Confidential Guide, can anybody point me in the direction of background information on Durban CC in South Africa? I am playing there next week. Thanks.

Bob_Huntley

Durban Country Club
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2001, 11:22:00 AM »
Go to Google and type in Durban Country CLub you will find plenty of information there.

Let us know what you think of the 18th hole.

By the way, a more hospitable bunch of members you will not find anywhere.

[Note: This message has been edited by David]

Ran Morrissett

Durban Country Club
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2001, 11:41:00 AM »
Jeff,

The great holes there are sure to be world class but I wonder about its less distinguished holes. Relatively to the other world top 100 courses, something tells me Durban's weaker holes will be significantly worse than, for instance, those at your home club.

Are you staying at the club? Where else are you playing in SA?

Cheers,

Jeff_Lewis

Durban Country Club
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2001, 11:45:00 AM »
Bob, Thanks.
Ran, Believe it or not, nowhere! This is my Honeymoon...need I say more? Do you guys know anything about the design pedigree? Same designer as Woodhall Spa? I will give a full report on my return.

SPDB

Durban Country Club
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2001, 11:55:00 AM »
The club's website:
http://www.saol.com/dcc/

keep it in the short stuff

Bob_Huntley

Durban Country Club
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2001, 02:59:00 PM »
Jeff:

If you are staying awhile in South Africa and you intend to include some more golf in your idyll, buy Grant Winter's book, 'Guide To Southern African Golf Courses.' It lists, with handsome color photographs, most of the courses in South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia and Zimbabwe.

By the way, although the Indian Ocean is awash in sharks, the nets allow you to surf in safety!  

TMc

Durban Country Club
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2001, 06:24:00 AM »
Jeff, welcome to Durban. I hope you enjoy your round at DCC. It has recently lost its position as the No. 1 course in SA to the more modern and better groomed resort type courses (ie Sun City)but its still ne of my favourites. I believe the club has a little book on its history. If you are interested perhaps you could enquire. Also be sure to leave some time to view the photo gallery in the hall way outside the change room.

Bob_Huntley

Durban Country Club
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2001, 09:31:00 AM »
TMc.      

Would you be good enough to drop me a line at:

bob@huntley.com

I have some questions about some of my old golfing haunts in ZA,ZIM and ZAM.

Thank you.

Bob

Jeff_Lewis

Durban Country Club
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2001, 07:30:00 AM »
Well, gents. Just got back. Also played River Club, near Johannesburg. Will give full commentary on Durban shortly.
First impression of South Africa is that somebody other than Gary Player needs to do some design work down there! Wonderful place and wonderful people.

Ben C. Dewar

Durban Country Club
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2001, 08:08:00 PM »
Jeff,
I am really interested to hear about your trip.  I have been trying to get down there for a few years.

I will look forward to your descriptions, I also have a few questions regarding details of your travel.  Would you mind emailing me:
bencd@golftravelinformation.com

TMc

Durban Country Club
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2001, 07:06:00 AM »
Bob, e-mail set as requested. Glad to help if I can.

Jeff, hope you enjoyed DCC, did you get to play any other courses on the coast?

Jeff_Lewis

Durban Country Club
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2001, 09:36:00 AM »
TMc,
It was my honeymoon, so squeezing in the two rounds was pretty good, I thought. The River Club in Joburg, which had a very good redo on the greens a couple of years ago by the pro, was very enjoyable. Greens fees seem remarkably low in S.A.

Jeff_Lewis

Durban Country Club
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2001, 02:20:00 PM »
Ran,
You were certainly right that this course has some holes that are not as interesting as the better holes. I thought the course had an excellent collection of par 3s, particularly the prince of wales 12th. The "world's best 3rd hole" par 5, well, I was a little surprised. I had seen many photos of it and thought I would be more impressed. It is a very solid hole, but I failed to see what made it so worthy of note.

The last two holes are extremely interesting and I would imagine somewhat controversial. I am sure we could do a great thread here on driveable par 4s and particularly on putting one of them last. I loved 18 and thought it would make for a rousing finish to any close match. Clearly everything between 2 and 6 is a possibility here. Good fun indeed. But I can see how the massively undulating terrain and blindness of the hole could put some off. Just not me.

I have not played extensively on the African continent, but the consensus amongst those I encountered was that Durban is not the best course in SOUTH Africa, let alone the entire continent.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back