News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Try Again

The epitome of quirk: Painswick, England
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2001, 08:07:00 AM »

Craig Disher

« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2001, 06:29:00 AM »
I feel completely stupid.  I've been to Cheltenham many times and felt the Cleeve Hill course was nirvana. It's a common land course that winds over the downs N of town. The conditions are rough and you have to play around the sheep but the golf is pure; it's apparent the course just evolved. It also has 20-mile views in every direction. I never knew or asked about Painswick which is just a short drive to the south. Even more surprising is that the locals I played with never mentioned it.  Next time I'm in the UK, I have promised myself to visit every sub-5000 yard course I can.

Paul Turner

« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2001, 07:06:00 AM »
Craig

You've jogged my memory.  I took a brief look at Cleeve Hill; and blimey, was that course exposed to the elements! There must be some spectacular shots there.

Club Secretary

« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2002, 10:08:00 AM »
Its great to know that our course at Painswick continues to fascinate and challenge golfers from around the world. Sorry I missed Paul Turner when he came to play. Visitors are always welcome. My son has just set up a web site for the club: painswickgolf.com. We'll be updating it from time to time. Happy golfing everyone!
Norman Hindmarch.

Bill_McBride

Re:The epitome of quirk: Painswick, England
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2005, 06:10:42 PM »
You're right Sean, I'll bring my recent photos back up to the top.  Painswick is every bit as much fun as the photos look, the lower you try to score, the wilder the golf!  There are places at Painswick where you DO NOT want to hit a golf ball!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2005, 06:21:13 PM »
No, Sean, there really wasn't anybody around except for that crowd of fun golfers on the terrace.  Not sure when I'll be back since next year's GCA Ryder Cup will be up at Hoylake.

Looking forward to seeing you at the Dixie Cup, glad to see you are coming.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2005, 07:24:51 PM »
Hmmmm.  Do we have dates for Hoylake yet?

I thought you weren't that high on Painswick?!  ??? :P

We'll talk at Pinehurst!

Paul_Turner

« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2006, 02:44:34 PM »
Back up top ;)
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

George Pazin

« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2006, 03:42:39 PM »
Thanks, Paul, seeing one of my favorite threads again is especially welcome during the winter.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Thomas Dai

Re: The epitome of quirk: Painswick, England
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2014, 11:34:48 AM »
I went to look at this thread following the bump on the 'Question for the Group about International Golf trips' thread -//www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,58689.0.html - and wonder where the photos have gone and are they recoverable. Any thoughts?

atb

Thomas Dai

« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2014, 12:35:37 PM »
Hard to think you'll find a better set than these...
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,35805.0.html

Yes, these by James are indeed extremely fine, and the photos I took myself when I played Painswick just a couple of weeks ago have come out nicely, but I'd like to see what is was like in 2001.

atb

James Boon

« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2014, 04:39:13 PM »
Brian, Thomas,

Thanks for the kind words, but I too would love to see the pictures of Painswick from back in 2001! Paul Turner. Is now shown as a guest. Does anyone keep in contact with him to ask if he still has these old photos somewhere?

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2014, 05:15:31 PM »
Brian, Thomas,

Thanks for the kind words, but I too would love to see the pictures of Painswick from back in 2001! Paul Turner. Is now shown as a guest. Does anyone keep in contact with him to ask if he still has these old photos somewhere?

Cheers,

James
James, your pics of Painswick are the best ever. On my fb I have a 1930s one of the old 4th hole, not sure if you have seen it.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2014, 05:35:09 PM »

Yes, these by James are indeed extremely fine, and the photos I took myself when I played Painswick just a couple of weeks ago have come out nicely, but I'd like to see what is was like in 2001.

atb

I suspect there wasn't much difference between the Painswick of 2001 and the Painswick of 1920 - except the location of the 18th green.  Not sure when it was changed. 

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2014, 06:04:15 PM »

atb

I suspect there wasn't much difference between the Painswick of 2001 and the Painswick of 1920 - except the location of the 18th green.  Not sure when it was changed. 
The course used to start off the 9th tee, was 9 holes and went, 9, 10, 11, 12, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.
Then the clubhouse got built near the current 1st tee. The course was the same as today in routing terms except the 18th was today's 17th. There was a hole between the current 3rd and 4th. (140 yards par 3) I have a picture of it on my fb. That course stayed the same till about 1971 then that hole was abandoned. A new 105 yard 18th was inserted after 17, which played up towards the church to a slopey green with two sand bunkers..yes Painswick had a pair of bunkers. This green is still there. I reckon in the mid 80s the club bought the field behind the old clubhouse and the new 18th was built together with the clubhouse.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Thomas Dai

« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2014, 02:52:06 AM »
Adrian,

Most interesting insights. Thank you.

I'm not good with fb. Could you please post herein the photo you mention, ie the 140 yards par-3 that was between the current 3rd and 4th holes.

All,

I just had a more detailed look at the clubs website, guess I should have done so before, there are several interesting sections to read. To summarise -

1) 9-hole course laid out 1891 by ex-Open Champion David Brown (who at the time was the pro at Malvern/The Worcestershire GC, about 30 miles away)

2) The Royal William pub was the Clubhouse until 1915 - the Royal William is about 500 yds from the current 9th tee/current 8th green, which is quite a distance. Having nearby pubs/hotels as clubhouses was of course not unknown at this time

3) Around 1906-7 the course was extended to 18-holes and the 1st tee (and clubhouse in various forms) transferred to approximately it's current position near the cemetery.

Anyone fancy playing the original 9-holes some time? If so send me a PM.

This photo is soo good I just can't resist re-posting it -

atb

« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 03:57:26 AM by Thomas Dai »

Sean_A

« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2014, 03:37:32 AM »
9 holes and went, 9, 10, 11, 12, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.  Adrian, I recall us discussing the original 9 holer and both thinking it would make for an incredible course.  I think it would make for a better course and would knock The Sacred 9 off its perch.  The 9 holer eliminates the worst holes on the 18 holer and still retains the best of Painswick while offering some serious quirk in #s 5 & 10.

Site of the old 4th green.  This site is a short iron straight into a bowl left of the start of the 4th fairway.

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2014, 04:05:06 AM »
For any of you with Paul Daley's Golf Course Architecture Volume 3, my photo essay of Painswick within is compiled of photographs from the mid to late 90's. It really isn't much different today  I think.

I did a full photo tour at that time with slide film, on a day with really good light. I'd post them here if I ever get them converted.

Just a reminder that i'll be taking the European Golf Design designers down to Painswick on Thursday June 12 and you're all more than welcome to come along.

Can you believe that Painswick is charging as little as £8 for a green fee, right now!
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco

Thomas Dai

« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2014, 04:16:17 AM »
Curious about something.

The Royal William is 500 yds or so from the 8th tee, the tee believed to be the original 1st tee. Would you or I walk that far to tee-off? I doubt it somehow.

So I can't help wondering that the land between the Royal William and the 8th (1st) tee was open land and golf was also played on that land, or at least part of it, too. There are houses with big gardens on the land now. I wonder if the were all there when the course was laid out in 1891.

see this Bingmap extract - http://binged.it/1owCW6w - the Royal William is on the A46 towards the top right corner of the satmap, the current 8th tee/9th green is near to centre. Housing now in between. Was it always?

As previously mentioned, I would like to be along on the 12th Robin, but alas I'm away. The course was in very fine fettle when I played there recently. The greens were excellent. Enjoy your day - drive across Minch' Old on the way there or way back - be interesting to hear what the EGD'ers make of that!

atb

Sean_A

« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2014, 04:34:55 AM »
ATB

The course started on #9, right of the house behind 8 green.  There is a road there which leads to the pub quite a ways down the street - apparently 500 yards.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2014, 04:37:45 AM »

Can you believe that Painswick is charging as little as £8 for a green fee, right now!

That is terrible news. How can they survive.  

I do hope your group wil pay Robin ;), the last thing Paiswick needs is a bunch of raters to come calling.

I've played all sorts of courses, but after Painswick they all semed to be in 2D!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 05:18:17 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2014, 05:42:54 AM »
None of us are raters Tony and I shall book our fees before we go, that's what the club prefers (via teeofftimes website). It'll still only be around £60 in their coffers though.

I've got an architect friend who makes a virtue out of never paying for a green fee. One needs to make exceptions for clubs like Painswick.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco

James Boon

« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2014, 06:05:16 PM »
For any of you with Paul Daley's Golf Course Architecture Volume 3, my photo essay of Painswick within is compiled of photographs from the mid to late 90's. It really isn't much different today  I think.

I did a full photo tour at that time with slide film, on a day with really good light. I'd post them here if I ever get them converted.

Just a reminder that i'll be taking the European Golf Design designers down to Painswick on Thursday June 12 and you're all more than welcome to come along.

Robin,

I'm sure I've mentioned this before but it was that article of yours in Golf Architecture Vol 3 that first inspired me to head out and play Painswick before my GolfClubAtlas days or we had met. I especially remember a photo taken from about the ridge in front of 10 looking back to a wide view of 7 green, 10 tee, 9 green and 8 tee.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2014, 05:21:29 PM »
James

I sent that very photo to Mr. Doak for his new book. Not heard back yet, so I guess he's found a better one!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2014, 10:48:14 PM »
James

I sent that very photo to Mr. Doak for his new book. Not heard back yet, so I guess he's found a better one!

It will sting to know that the photo I'm using is one of James's.  :)  Sorry about that.  But you reminded me that I should bring your slides with me to Scotland so I can give them back to you ... maybe you'd better email me on Monday to remind me again.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back