News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Zack Kelly

Re:Who or what do you have hanging on your wall?
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2005, 10:33:35 AM »
On the wall

Sedgefield CC # 9
Bobby Jones at Pinehurst
Bobby Jones with US Open Trophy
1 iron Ben Hogan Shot
13 @ Augusta
Ben Hogan Swing Sequence
Fairways & Greens
Zack Quinn Kelly

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2005, 10:38:44 AM »
My wife has been kind enough to allow me to have a room in the house to fill with some of the golf "stuff" I've collected over the years.  

- Framed pictures of #17 at Prestwick, #9 at Royal County Down, #8 at Royal Troon and #10 at Turnberry by Patrick Drickey.  

- A routing of Pine Valley

- Pictures from Cypress Point that Carlyle Rood and I took.  Some really neat pictures of the fog rolling in over #8 and #9.  Also a cool picture of Bob Huntley waiting at the top of #18, although I really should send that along to him.  

- A collage of pictures that my mother put together of various family golf shots.  An interesting one of my brother and dad playing this all sand course in the desert of Quartzsite, Arizona.  

- A collection of golf books, scorecards, yardage books, ticket stubs (Masters, US Open, US Amateur), programs (Walker Cup, Ryder Cup, US Open, Masters).  Some of the unique stuff....the scorecard from Alfie Ward's Arbory Brae; replicas of Ross'  hole-by-hole sketches from Holston Hills and Seminole; scorecard from member-member that my dad and I won and it's signed by Detroit Red Wing Darren McCarty.  

- A picture of my brother and I holding the Claret Jug in 2004 at Royal Troon.  I've posted this on GCA before.

- A bunch of pictures of my wife and I at Turnberry, right after we got engaged.  

- A bunch of pictures of my brother, wife and sister-in-law at Augusta National during one of the practice rounds.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2005, 10:43:19 AM »
Huck,

It is actually named for a Civil War General (soon to be Paterno Stadium), but we also have the Bryce Jordan Center (our 15,000 seat arena)

So you have Beaver Stadium next to the BJ Center...

But I digress.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 10:44:02 AM by Kyle Harris »

Peter Galea

« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2005, 10:43:32 AM »
In my office I have a complete set (14) of prints of the MacGregor Advisory Staff from the early 1960's featuring, Louise Suggs, George Bayer, Tommy Armour, Bob Toski, Jack Burke, Lionel Hebert and others. A photo of  my kids with Jose Coceres at the airport the day he won the Heritage beating Billy Mayfair in a Monday playoff,  a photo of my son, then 3 years old, in the lap of a shaper on a D5 pushing dirt around the 16th green at HMB Ocean, a tiny print of Turnberry's 10th, "Dinna Fouter" and a personalized photo of Hank Sauer, Cubs star and 1952 MVP.
"chief sherpa"

THuckaby2

« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2005, 10:44:43 AM »
Chicago Tribune reprints of each of the six Bulls championships;
Chicago Tribune reprint of Bears' Super Bowl victory
Old Comiskey Park lithograph

This is why I love, and hate, you Chicago guys.  I am betting shivas has something like this on the walls... as does Paul Thomas... shel....

It's also why so many times I feel like I was born in the wrong place.  VERY few people here in CA - particularly SoCal (where I grew up) care enough about the teams to pepper the walls with memorabilia like this.  But I sure as hell do... I just don't have the titles to celebrate.

I do, however, retain in my car for playing at any given time, a tape of great Vin Scully calls... game 7 of the 1988 NLCS, 9th inning, as my beloved Dodgers beat the Mets... St. Gibson's day miracle, also 1988 (though that is Jack Buck... "I don't believe what I just saw")... some others.

For whatever reason Laker titles were never more than expected... I am a huge Laker fan (thus dying this year).. but their many wins were never huge cause for celebration... think of it as the Bulls 5th and 6th compared to 1st and 2nd...

And I have no football to root for.  Your Bears shut out my Dieter Brock-led Rams to get to that Super Bowl... a sad day for me... Then the Rams left me.  :'( :'(

One final item, that is not on a wall, but is kept in plastic sheets... the San Jose Mercury sports section front page from the glorious day in the early 90s, giving the headline about my Santa Clara Broncos knocking off AZ, a 15 beating a 2.  

OK, now back from memory lane.

;D ;D

THuckaby2

« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2005, 10:45:54 AM »
Huck,

It is actually named for a Civil War General (soon to be Paterno Stadium), but we also have the Bryce Jordan Center (our 15,000 seat arena)

So you have Beaver Stadium next to the BJ Center...

But I digress.

OK, I knew it was named after some guy, not the animal... but that connection is VERY new to me.  Oh, I am gonna get mileage from this one with the college buds...

You have made my day, Kyle.

;D ;D

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2005, 10:46:40 AM »
- Kingsley Club calendar
- All 14 issues of Sports Illustrated featuring Arnold Palmer on the cover (all signed)
- Picture of #7 at Pebble
- Various personalized pictures from Tour players
- The August 5, 1955 Life Magazine featuring Ben Hogan on the cover
- Dry erase board (called Golf Rules Scholar) used to illustrate rules situations

THuckaby2

« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2005, 10:49:10 AM »
-- All 14 issues of Sports Illustrated featuring Arnold Palmer on the cover (all signed)

WHOA!
I believe we have a new champ in the coolness category.  I'd trade the trophy my son made me for one of those... if only to give it to my Dad, who reveres Palmer as a life idol/hero....

And Brian Gracely, I knew you married a winner.  Either that or you have a big house with a room or two she doesn't care about.   ;D ;D

Kyle Harris

« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2005, 10:57:42 AM »
As for my desktop wallpaper, it alternates between this:

and a picture of 17 and 18 at Sand Hills..

Ohhhhh!
Ohhhhh!
Ohhhhh!
Let's go State!

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2005, 10:59:57 AM »
JWK - I have a 6 and 9 yr old myself.  I know all about toy rakes as well.

;D ;D

And Kyle, if there is a cooler name for a stadium than Beaver, I really don't want to know it.  PSU just NEEDS to host Oregon State some day.

Doesn't Penn State or Oregon State want to host Steve Sper(m)iers South Carolina Gamecocks?

JWK

THuckaby2

« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2005, 11:02:33 AM »
JWK:

Great mention, one also used in a classic IM I received a few minutes ago from Kyle.  He also speculated about Penn State tearing holes in the USC Trojans some time ago.

;) ;)

Ted Kramer

« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2005, 11:19:27 AM »
Hogan 1 iron.
Payne Stewart in the mist at Pebble.
Payne in a 6 shot sequence holing out to win the US Open.
Me and my buddies at Caledonia 8x10.

-Ted

PThomas

« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2005, 11:20:33 AM »
Huck:  "Dieter Brock led Rams" -- now that's a blast from the past. :o..and he didn't do a very good job of leading, as the Bears beat the Rams 21-0 that day

and you are right:  I have some of the Tribune headlines that Terry has , and a Bear thing from the Superbowl year

and Huck:  if you mail Arnold something to sign he will sign it and return to you...I sent a hat to him (and $5 for shipping and postage) and back it came!

and while I can't match Doug's SIGNED collection, I think I have every Sports Ill cover with Jack on it, also the 1962 Time cover of him

199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2005, 11:21:09 AM »
My golf room inventory is as follows:

- A framed 20x24 print of Payne holding the US Open trophy and the bag piper from the Tour Championship in the back ground.
- The Pinehurst Poster w/ courses 1-8 scorecards.
- Pebble Beach #7
- Augusta #11 and 12
- Framed Sports Illustrated covers of Tigers three wins at Augusta

JohnV

« Reply #89 on: March 10, 2005, 11:22:30 AM »
Above my desk at home I have Harold Bluestein's drawing of Ben Hogan depicting his three major wins in 1953:

I also have his 3 other prints.  The Going to the 1912 Open and Arnold Palmer are in the living room and his one on the great golfers from Britain in the 19th and early 20th century is in the bedroom.  Harold was an assistant pro at Rock Creek Country Club in Aloha Oregon when I was a member there, gave art a try and now is a pro at another Oregon club.  He is a real good guy.  I really love the Going to the 1912 Open as it has Vardon, Ray, Ball and Taylor sitting in a taxi with the driver standing beside it.  The only way you know it is about golf is the set of clubs in the rumble seat.  It was commisioned by Muirfield in honor of their 100th anniversary Open.

Above one of my bookcases is the caligraphy stroke play score sheet with Tiger Wood's 18 hole scores from the 1996 US Amateur.  It also has Danny Yates and the kid who stayed at our house, Andrew Young, on it.

There are many other golf prints and pictures around the house, but those the my favorites.

THuckaby2

« Reply #90 on: March 10, 2005, 11:25:40 AM »
Huck:  "Dieter Brock led Rams" -- now that's a blast from the past. :o..and he didn't do a very good job of leading, as the Bears beat the Rams 21-0 that day

and you are right:  I have some of the Tribune headlines that Terry has , and a Bear thing from the Superbowl year

and Huck:  if you mail Arnold something to sign he will sign it and return to you...I sent a hat to him (and $5 for shipping and postage) and back it came!

and while I can't match Doug's SIGNED collection, I think I have every Sports Ill cover with Jack on it, also the 1962 Time cover of him

Paul:  anyone with that type of devotion to Jack is great by me.  Re Dieter Brock, that was meant to describe in very few words how I felt about my beloved Rams' chances in that game, going against perhaps the greatest defense ever to take the field.  As it was my Rams did pretty well, relatively.  I believe you are close enough on the score.  Talk to some Patriots fans about the next game.

The fact the Rams won a Super Bowl so soon after moving to St. Louis proves to me that the football gods are merciless bastards.  Did you read how I said there's a special place in heaven for parents of autistic kids?  A similar place in hell exists for Georgia Frontiere.

Do NOT get me started.

TH

George Pazin

« Reply #91 on: March 10, 2005, 11:39:40 AM »
I've seen JohnV's prints and they are fantastic, as good as illustrations get. If I had something that I needed an illustration of, I think I'd hire Mr. Bluestein.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #92 on: March 10, 2005, 11:39:55 AM »
On the wall

Sedgefield CC # 9

Does it look anything like this?

Mike Benham

« Reply #93 on: March 10, 2005, 11:40:15 AM »
A Master's Flag signed (allegedly) by Arnold Palmer last year ...

A watercolor of Fenway Park ...

The ball and scorecard from my first and only hole-in-one ...

I also have 3 lithographs of hand drawn and painted routings of Pebble, Spyglass and Cypress that I used to hang in my office.  They are about 20 years old, I bought them from a shop out of the back of Golf Digest.  The don't look to be very accurate ...

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #94 on: March 10, 2005, 11:44:29 AM »

- Pictures from Cypress Point that Carlyle Rood and I took.  Some really neat pictures of the fog rolling in over #8 and #9.  Also a cool picture of Bob Huntley waiting at the top of #18, although I really should send that along to him.  

What, no Kimmie pics?

Please forward those CPC pics when you have a moment.  I'm still not conviced I was there that day.

Mike

Come on now Mike, I said my wife was a reasonable person.  And Kimmie is one of her best friends.  But pictures would be pushing it.

Here's one of my favorites with you.  We're walking off #2 tee and I remember telling you, "Mike, I'm pretty sure they aren't going to kick us off at this point".

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #95 on: March 10, 2005, 12:04:28 PM »
Paul Thomas:

Do you have the 1957 issue with Althea Gibson on the cover where Jack first appeared in Faces in the Crowd  ;D

I've also got the 4th issue ever of SI that covered the 1954 US Amateur, won by Arnold Palmer. Signed by the man of course  :)

Doug

ForkaB

« Reply #96 on: March 10, 2005, 12:53:26 PM »
Paul Thomas:

Do you have the 1957 issue with Althea Gibson on the cover where Jack first appeared in Faces in the Crowd  ;D

I have the 1963 issue with Frank Howard on the cover where a GCAer first appeared in Faces in the Crowd........

THuckaby2

« Reply #97 on: March 10, 2005, 12:57:21 PM »
Rich - thanks for keeping that.  My parents have one also.  It was pretty cool that SI recognized right at the time of my birth what a great athlete and all-around legendary sports figure I'd become.

Oh... you mean you... some yachting achievement, right... nah, that can't be it.  You can't be that OLD, are you?

;D ;D ;D

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #98 on: March 10, 2005, 01:03:31 PM »
Paul Thomas:

I have the 1963 issue with Frank Howard on the cover where a GCAer first appeared in Faces in the Crowd........

C'mon, Rich, do tell!!! What was the notable achievement?

ForkaB

« Reply #99 on: March 10, 2005, 02:18:16 PM »
Doug

Nothing to do with golf :o, so probably OT.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back