News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Norbert P

Re:Bandon vs. Pacific Dunes
« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2004, 03:51:54 PM »
They both engage me.

One is demurely seductive and one is boldly exotic.
One has a slit skirt and the other a fur bikini.

Michelle Pfeiffer

Raquel Welch

I wanted to go there this week but I've been under the covers with a nasty cold.  The weather has been terrific . . .(mid-50s), sunny and calm and my school is on Christmas break. Ugh! I want to smash something.

P.S. You're welcome.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 04:08:43 PM by Norbert Painter »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Jim Franklin

« Reply #76 on: December 23, 2004, 04:21:45 PM »
I'll take the fur bikini 10 out of 10, but, like I said before, I'm splitting BD/PD 5 & 5.
Mr Hurricane

Adam_Messix

« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2004, 07:15:44 PM »
Sean--  

There's nothing blind about the tee shot from the abandoned tee shot on 16 at Bandon to my recollection.  It sure does force you to hit a good one to get across the chasm when the wind is against.  I'm surprised that they abandoned it.

Robert--

There are so many back tees that are not on the scorecard at both courses, but particularly at Bandon that it is difficult to start explaining.  I will say this, from the far back tees on both courses, Bandon is the more difficult of the two by probably two or three shots for a touring pro.  I would have to see it to believe it though, that wind can sure work wonders and I think it would make any extra length at Pacific all the more difficult because of the penalties for missing.  Bandon is REALLY long from the tips but it didn't seem quite so penal to a miss.  The two best holes from the tips would be 4 at Pacific (490 yards) and 18 at Pacific (650 yards with a great view.)  

peter_p

« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2004, 07:43:37 PM »
I repeat, the back tee on 16 has not been abandoned.

Robert is right, the course rating of Bandon is 76.4, while Pacific languishes at 72.6, but 500+ yards less distance.

Adam_Messix

« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2004, 07:52:47 PM »
Peter--

If the back tee I was standing on was used in the college tournament that I believe was held in late October-early November, it sure has grown fast because by December 3 the tee looked like USGA rough.  With this being said, the yardage marker was still there and was in the 400 yard range (I don't remember exactly) and the tee was stashed in a bunch of gorse.  The caddie told us to go back and look at it.  It wouldn't be hard to put that tee back in play and maybe as you said it was for the college event.  I can only go by what I saw.  

For another cool tee, how about putting the lower oceanside tee  back in play on #4 at Pacific, although you have to almost be a billy goat to get down there to it.  

peter_p

« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2004, 07:56:16 PM »
Adam,
I watched them hit from there.

Eric Johnson

« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2004, 09:55:42 AM »
I repeat, the back tee on 16 has not been abandoned.

Robert is right, the course rating of Bandon is 76.4, while Pacific languishes at 72.6, but 500+ yards less distance.

Peter,
The back tee on 16 that people are referring to is the old one northwest of 15 green and southwest of 12 green.  It hasn't been maintained for about three years.  We call these "hidden" tees the back-back tees...

Eric Johnson
Superintendent
Bandon Dunes

ed_getka

« Reply #82 on: December 24, 2004, 11:45:43 AM »
Eric,
  Earlier someone mentioned catch basins and drainage work on BD, and less or none at PD. Is the land that much different (it doesn't seem to be)? Do you have to do anything different in your maintenance practices to maintain the two courses?
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Eric Johnson

« Reply #83 on: December 24, 2004, 12:29:05 PM »
Eric,
  Earlier someone mentioned catch basins and drainage work on BD, and less or none at PD. Is the land that much different (it doesn't seem to be)?

Do you have to do anything different in your maintenance practices to maintain the two courses?

Ed,

1)  I think that would be a question better answered by Tom Doak and David Kidd.  My short answer: no big differences except the use of catch basins at BD and "star drains" at PD for the low areas.

2)  Nothing significant except the total maintained area of BD is greater than PD.  We flymo bunker surrounds at BD, PD has minimal mowing of the bunker surrounds.  We also have rough mowed at 1.75" whereas PD has fairway to the edge of unmowed rough.  

That's about it for now.  It's time to start Christmas shopping!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2004, 12:31:11 PM by Eric Johnson »

ed_getka

« Reply #84 on: December 26, 2004, 01:35:56 PM »
Eric,
  Thanks for the feedback. What are star drains?
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #85 on: December 26, 2004, 07:44:08 PM »
Every depression in the fairways at Pacific Dunes is drained; there are more of them than Bandon, I think, because a lot of the ones at Pacific are smaller.

We have always hated the look of the green drain caps on modern courses, it's one of the reasons I've always tried to avoid subsurface drainage at all.  But when Bandon Dunes was being built, they found out the hard way that they couldn't count on the drainage just perking into the sand.

Our answer was the "star drain" -- perforated tile which doesn't daylight at the surface, but is buried about a foot or two down to suck the water down once it penetrates the soil.  This won't work very well on heavy soils but it works like a dream on sand.  [In a couple of cases it worked too well and sucked sand straight into the tile, but most of the sand in Bandon is coarse enough not to do that.]  Instead of just a drain cap on the end of the tile, we branched out into four or five so the tile underlies a larger area at the bottom of the depression.  There are a few drain caps at the fringes of the course, where we didn't think anyone would notice them.

In all, there's about $400,000 worth of drainage under Pacific Dunes.  Most of the credit for the system goes to Jim Urbina and Dave Wilber, and to Jeff Sutherland [now the superintendent] who helped make sure it all went in correctly.

ed_getka

« Reply #86 on: December 26, 2004, 10:32:24 PM »
What keeps the water from just going down through the sand? Or is that just when the course is being deluged with a downpour?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back