News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re:Crystal Springs, Burlingame
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2007, 06:33:31 PM »
JK - great lists.  He did though ask that Monterey be disincluded.. That does change things considerably.

And ok, I'll quit being a wuss.  Here's my public access, no cost considered list - say 50 minutes from SJC - which means Monterey doesn't count unless you drive REALLY fast.  But hmmmmm... that's also going to mean the SF and HMB courses don't count... so let's just say Bay Area minus Monterey (and that includes Bayonet)

Pasatiempo
HMB-Links (the new one, whatever the hell it's called)
Cinnabar Hills
San Juan Oaks
Harding Park
Wente Vineyards
DeLaveaga
Pajaro Valley
Callippe
Shoreline

TH

ps I too have a love for Emerald Hills, but it belongs on this list like Painswick belongs on a "great courses of the UK list."  That is, it is fun for sure, but only for a certain mindset.

pss - the Coyote Creek courses would be 11 and 12, I think.  Both pretty good.  Some here hate them.   I do have a love for Shoreline, that's all.  But in terms of picking venues, money talks - they obviously just got the best deal there.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 06:35:27 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2007, 06:33:40 PM »
The Peninsula:  goes as far north as Burlingame / Millbrae.  

Daly City is the "Gateway to the Peninsula" (official nickname), so where does that leave DC, SSF and San Bruno in your definition?
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

David_Tepper

« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2007, 06:36:42 PM »
Tom H. -

Harding Park at #5 on your list? Are you getting soft in your middle age? ;)

DT

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2007, 06:39:04 PM »
I knew I'd regret doing this.   ;)

Hey, I never said Harding was a bad course... and it you look at this, the competition isn't exactly steep.   :'(

My complaints against Harding remain:

a) too expensive
b) oh what might have been

Neither factors into this ranking.

TH

Kalen Braley

« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2007, 06:43:18 PM »
JK - great lists.  He did though ask that Monterey be disincluded.. That does change things considerably.

Pasatiempo
HMB-Links (the new one, whatever the hell it's called)
Cinnabar Hills
San Juan Oaks
Harding Park
Wente Vineyards
DeLaveaga
Pajaro Valley
Callippe
Shoreline

TH

ps I too have a love for Emerald Hills, but it belongs on this list like Painswick belongs on a "great courses of the UK list."  That is, it is fun for sure, but only for a certain mindset.

pss - the Coyote Creek courses would be 11 and 12, I think.  Both pretty good.  Some here hate them.   I do have a love for Shoreline, that's all.  But in terms of picking venues, money talks - they obviously just got the best deal there.

Nice list Tom, way to make a stand.

I think you are referencing the Ocean course at HMB.

I'm not familiar with Pajaro Valley.  I'm guessing thats fairly new, either that or my brain is decaying at a faster rate than I suspect.  Or is that one of the new courses that are popping up left and right out in the San Ramon/Dublin area?

Not sure if I would go along with the last 2 but hey thats what its all about on CGA right?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2007, 06:47:18 PM »
I knew I'd regret doing this.   ;)

Hey, I never said Harding was a bad course... and it you look at this, the competition isn't exactly steep.   :'(

My complaints against Harding remain:

a) too expensive
b) oh what might have been

Neither factors into this ranking.

TH

Too true,  but even in its current state its a helluva lot better than what was there a few years ago.  

It'll be interesting to see if the Amex will return there again.  Can't doubt it had a great finish last time around. If nothing else its nice for us ex-cali boys who love to get glimpses of home.  I really need to move back!!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2007, 06:49:30 PM »
Kalen - Pajaro Valley is not new, although outside of this forum it's not all that well known.  It's a favorite here because it's extremely fun to play, it's firm and fast year round, the greens are wildly contoured and always in great shape, and a regular here runs the place (Pete Galea) and he is one of the absolute princes of golf.  But hell, even if we didn't know him I'd still say Pajaro is a damn good course and I'd fight for its position here.  I think it suffers because it's in a hard area for most to get to - Royal Oaks, adjacent to Watsonville - most who are going to venture down Highway 1 from the north go on to Monterey... or if coming from the south, either stop at Monterey or go on to SF.

As for the last two, well... I'd guess that's where we all will have disagreement.  The top 5-6 or so are pretty standard - we'll have different orders for sure, but I doubt the courses listed would change all that much.

I'd guess most people would list HMB-Old (or whatever the hell they call that now); I have zero love for that overrated overprice condo canyon even the famous 18th isn't that great golf course.   ;)

And yes, the current Harding is MILES better that the goat track that existed on that site previously.  I just have wondered on this site - as have others - what might have been had they focused on making a fun course for their customers instead of a fair test for the PGA pros.  Thus the wistful "what might have been."
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 06:51:23 PM by Tom Huckaby »

ed_getka

« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2007, 07:05:40 PM »
Public top 10
Metropolitan
San Geronimo
San Juan Oaks
Cinnabar
Pajaro Valley (if south of SC allowed)
Wente
Tilden Park
Poppy Ridge
Boundary Oaks
Mare Island
Sunol Valley

I haven't played Half Moon, new Harding, and a few others that have been listed.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 07:06:22 PM by ed_getka »
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2007, 07:08:41 PM »
I looked around on Google and found Pajaro Valley.  I too am guilty of zipping by it on my way down to Montery.  But then again what the hell is in Watsonville?   :P

I guess we have hit all the biggies in the bay area and surronding region, but how about those guilty pleasure courses that you would be hesitant to mention here, but gosh golly you really like em!!

I'll be the first one to throw one out and be subject to scourn, but I think Boulder Creek up near big basin is just a fun little course to try out, especially with the kiddies.  Its such a unique difference to the normal baked out hills and oaks that dominates the bay area.

Anyone else going to stick thier neck out?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2007, 07:17:51 PM »
Public top 10
Metropolitan
San Geronimo
San Juan Oaks
Cinnabar
Pajaro Valley (if south of SC allowed)
Wente
Tilden Park
Poppy Ridge
Boundary Oaks
Mare Island
Sunol Valley

I haven't played Half Moon, new Harding, and a few others that have been listed.

Now thats making a statement!!

Metro is a nice course, but top 10 is a bit of a stretch. Its not too far off though.  And Tilden is a nice little hidden gem as long as you don't play there in the winter months!!

But Sunol Valley?  I'm just not seeing that one at all.  Not on my top 25 much less top 10.  Granted its been 8 years since I've been out there, so please tell me it has new mgmt and got overhauled.  I don't care if you lie to me Ed, just help me sleep tonight!!

ed_getka

« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2007, 07:18:16 PM »
I don't think anyone here would be shy about pointing out "guilty pleasure" courses. I listed virtually every public course I have played.
    I would say the guilty pleasure course would be Las Positas, executive course. Best executive course I have ever played, actually has real greens that will hold a shot and are mowed so you can putt on them.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

David Stamm

« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2007, 07:22:16 PM »
Thanks for all the great info! I was curious what all your takes were on the courses I mentioned for the next time I'm up there. Interesting takes. One things for sure, I'll definitely be giving you a shout the next time I make it up there. It's funny how the grass is always greener, but I would gladly trade the options I have here in San Diego for what's available up there. I'd play Pasa. at least once a month! After Barona and Torrey Pines, it gets pretty grim. I do like Maderas, but it's way too expensive. And Fazio's course, The Grand, ain't that grand. Torrey has become a nightmare for locals to try and get on (what else is new) and the price is climbing higher all the time as we approach the Open. (At least it seems that way). I can't blame Ed for having Rustic envy, hell, so do I! If that course was in the SD area it would be at least what Barona goes for and probably more.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

ed_getka

« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2007, 07:26:12 PM »
Kalen,
   Sorry, it's going to be a sleepless night for you. ;) I have listed virtually every public access course I have played in the Bay Area, so it is not like I can plug something else in. Sunol certainly has conditioning issues, particularly in the winter, and it has been a long time since I have been there. However, Sunol has some really good holes on both courses. I prefer the quirkier of the two courses, but I don't remember their names.
    I just call as I see them through my delusional eyes, it is only an opinion after all. 8)

ed_getka

« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2007, 07:30:27 PM »
David,
  Don't forget Balboa Park and Coronado. Coronado used to be much better, but right before we moved north 15 years ago they took out/dumbed down most of the really good features. I used to run by Coronado for years thinking it was just an executive course for old people, but then I started playing it and got hooked. Have you played these?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2007, 07:36:10 PM »
Kalen,
   Sorry, it's going to be a sleepless night for you. ;) I have listed virtually every public access course I have played in the Bay Area, so it is not like I can plug something else in. Sunol certainly has conditioning issues, particularly in the winter, and it has been a long time since I have been there. However, Sunol has some really good holes on both courses. I prefer the quirkier of the two courses, but I don't remember their names.
    I just call as I see them through my delusional eyes, it is only an opinion after all. 8)

Its all good Ed!!

Well I figure in all fairness I gotta put my head on the blocks as well and come up with my top 10 Value courses to play.  That being said I've never played Mare Island or Poplar so they probably fit somewhere in there, but here goes.

1)  Chardonnay at Napa
2)  DeltaView
3)  Blue Rock East
4)  Shoreline
5)  Boundary Oaks
6)  Tilden Park
7)  Lone tree in Antioch
8)  Las Positas
9)  Santa Clara golf club
10) Lake Chabot

I struggled with whether my number 1 pick even qualifies for this list, but when you go online and make reservations, you would be surprised how often you can find a special for under 50 bucks.  Thats a total deal in my book!!

I know 8-10 are starting to fall off a bit, but as you know in the bay area it starts falling off real fast for cheap yet fun and playable tracks.  Last time I played Lake Chabot, green fees were only 21 bucks, so hey thats hard to beat right? I suspect its gone up since then.

David Stamm

« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2007, 07:42:27 PM »
Ed, I have played Coronado. For the first time in fact about 1 month ago. It was fun, but I wouldn't say that it rocked my world. I enjoyed it and would play it again without question, but I wouldn't miss it if it was gone. Having said all that, there are a few good holes there. 17 (?) is a solid par 4. 7 is as well. I think the fact that it's next to the water accounts for perception most people have of the course.

I haven't played Balboa, mainly because I hear so many negative things about it. I know, I know, I need to play it to make up my own mind. I have been there and walked around the property. Can't form an opinion based on that though.

BTW, this speculation by yours truly is regarding public access courses. While it doesn't change the perception drmatically when one includes the private clubs, it does improve the scene slightly. Believe it or not, there are only a little more than a dozen private clubs here in SD.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

ed_getka

« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2007, 07:54:29 PM »
Kalen,
   No worries, it's slim pickings to be sure. I actually mostly just golf on GCA road trips. The rest of the time I just practice at Poppy Ridge which is without a doubt the best practice facility in the Bay Area.

David,
   Coronado certainly isn't a great course, but I think #1, 4, 6, 7, 11, 12, 16, and 17 are pretty good holes.
   Balboa isn't great, but it has enough interesting holes to make it worth a look.
    Just trying to find something for you to do. :)

David Stamm

« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2007, 08:00:03 PM »
David,

Just trying to find something for you to do. :)

Thanks Ed. Any help is appreciated!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2007, 08:03:18 PM »
Ed - after all this, no Pasatiempo?  Not even in the top 10?

I will say I need to add Metropolitan to mine.  I'll fix that.

But man, you also covered a huge amount of area, from San Geronimo north to Pajaro Valley south... my answers would change quite a bit if that were allowed... I thought we were supposed to stick within on hour of SJC?

Kalen, that's why I ommitted all courses in Napa, Vallejo, Antioch, etc - too far away.  I do have great love for Chardonnay, Mare Island, Delta View, etc.

Can we come up with some uniform geographich parameters?  It would make this a bit more fun for discussion purposes....

BTW Ed at least we can agree on something... Poppy Ridge does have a damn good practice facility.

BTW 2, you want a great short course with greens that would make you take lots of second looks?  You need to see Mariner's Point... if not the par 3 at Santa Teresa.  But yes, Las Positas exec is cool.

TH

Kalen Braley

« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2007, 08:10:34 PM »
BTW 2, you want a great short course with greens that would make you take lots of second looks?  You need to see Mariner's Point... if not the par 3 at Santa Teresa.  But yes, Las Positas exec is cool.

TH

I've played Mariners point a couple of times and it is good fun.  And the views are sweet too.  Gotta like that double green between 3 and 7 I think???

Another fun little 9 holer is the one at Lake Chabot, dirt cheap great views and some fun forced carries and downhill shots
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 08:11:40 PM by Kalen Braley »

ed_getka

« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2007, 08:11:22 PM »
Tom,
  What are you still doing at work? I guess this ain't no Clorox gig, eh? :) Pasa was specifically excluded by Kalen, otherwise you know I have it first. I don't live down in SJ, so I just put down courses I can get to from the city in around an hour. Don't forget, I drive fast. :)
   Another great thing about Las Positas exec. is that virtually no one plays it so it is a good place to practice when I'm getting burnt out on the range. Plus you can stay out there indefinitely by doing a continuous loop around #'s 4,5,6. Callippe resident rate would probably change that going forward since the price is about the same, except for pace of play issues. I'm sure I would get more practice out of Las Positas.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2007, 08:14:15 PM »
Kalen - your value list covers a hell of a lot of ground also... but no hassles.  I'd say it's a darn good list, although Lake Chabot is now sadly closed... and Santa Clara, well... perhaps it's just too familiar to me, and at $50+ weekends, well... I can't get behind that either.  Also putting Chardonnay #1 based on specials is kinda cheating - yeah you CAN get those but lots of times you can't also, and then it's a lot closer to three figures.

As much as I do like Shoreline also, I don't consider it a value... prices there are rather steep these days.

The fact is we really don't HAVE many value courses in the greater Bay Area.  Those that do exist are typically pretty far out, like Delta View.

Assuming we are to go far out, some others to consider are:

Spring Hills (Watsonville)
Spring Valley (Milpitas)
Peacock Gap (San Rafael)
Indian Valley (Novato)

And likely a few others not mentioned yet, depending on how far you want to push out.

BTW, I too can't get behind Sunol either as a value or as a good course in any way.  There is SOME good there, but most of it is pretty boring up and back slog, and I say that about both courses.  Conditions are also generally spotty and price isn't great and it tends to take forever to play.  Other than that they are both just dandy.

TH

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2007, 08:18:26 PM »
Ed:

I'm home and no one else is, thus some time killing on this fun topic.

I didn't see Kalen exclude Pasa.  Gotcha there.

And I hear you re Las Positas.  When I lived in San Carlos I treated Mariner's Point the same way - in fact I'd play it a lot as a preparation for trips to links courses.

One hour from SF is an entirely different ball game... I'd have to give that more thought.  That allows for a few more courses to the north, that's for sure.  But it also precludes basically anything south or west of the 17/85 junction... thus bye bye Pajaro and all things Santa Cruz... even as fast as you drive.

;D

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2007, 08:22:43 PM »

My favorite 10 public couses (within an hour's drive of Oakland, CA... )

Cinnabar Hills
Roddy Ranch
Wente
Callippe Preserve
Shadow Lakes
Poppy Ridge
Hiddenbrooke
Metropolitan
Lake Chabot
Delta View

*** I probably need to try Stone Tree, Coyote Creek, Harding Park and Half Moon Bay before "finalizing" my personal preferences in the region.

I'll refrain from submitting value list as I find it very difficult to distinguish value courses these days. Wente, for example, goes fo $40 after 12pm these days, but for over $100 on the weekends.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

David Stamm

« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2007, 08:22:45 PM »
Guys, is Northwood worth a looksy if one is in the area? I know if Pioppi were here he would say yes, but I just wanted to get some Bay Area residents perspectives.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 08:23:01 PM by David Stamm »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back