News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ryan Farrow

Re:44 Decisions
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2006, 01:31:56 AM »
Is there any part of Montana that isn’t picturesque?

Thanks for posting the photos, I wish we could get construction shots more often.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2006, 01:56:51 AM »
What exactly is "clearing"?  I have an idea, but could someone spell it out more precisely?  

TaylorA

« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2006, 08:59:21 AM »
Jim- Clearing is simply the process of removing the vegetation from the site. Often, it is clearing and grubbing, which is the removal of  stumps, etc.

Talk about the wild, wild west! Very little in terms of erosion control - must be nice to live and work in the land without a 1000 eyes. A single row of silt fence with wood posts next to a stream with no wire backing... The good ole days.

DMoriarty

« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2006, 04:06:35 PM »
Is there any part of Montana that isn’t picturesque?

Well, there are a few . . .

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2006, 07:13:59 PM »
Besides when the landscape is destroyed by man's machines.

DMoriarty

« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2006, 08:49:54 PM »
Ryan,  it depends upon what you mean by "picturesque."  If you mean beautiful landscape then most of Montana qualifies.  But if you mean particularly well suited to photographed, painted or otherwise represented in a picture, then I'd have to say that much of Montana presents quite a challenge.  As beautiful as depictions of Montana can be, they rarely come close to doing the real thing justice.  

This is one of the things I find so interesting about this particular project.  This is tricky landscape visually, and they are working without of the safety net trying to totally control the environment through mounding or excessive dirt movement.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2006, 10:32:26 PM »
Pardon the brown nosing, but I would also like to thank Mr. Doak and Mr. Brauer (and the other online architects, greenskeepers, etc.) for taking the time to bring the world of GCA to the humble armchair architects that frequent this discussion board.

Fellas,

Now that you have given us a sense of what aspects in course design and construction are the most time-consuming, could you perhaps rank the categories in terms of which aspects/stages of the process you enjoy the most (Obviously the site will dictate this to some degree... The aforementioned difficulties associated with unanticipated bedrock depth, top soil conditions, the predictable sadness that accompanies removing a 200 year-old oak tree, and so on) ?
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Doug Bolls

« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2006, 12:03:00 AM »
Considering the comments I've seen in the past and in your book - GREENS

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back