News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris_Blakely

Re:Gravesites
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2006, 12:05:22 PM »
Rockaway River CC in Denville, NJ has a grave between two holes on the front 9, I think 8 & 9

Webster Dudlely GC (FKA - Nichols College GC) in Dudley, MA has grave behind the par 3 Third hole / FourthTee box.

Belmont Hills CC in St. Clairsville, OH has a green behind the fifith green.

Pat Jones

« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2006, 12:38:09 PM »
JC:

Damn you for thinking up this great story idea before me.

I recall that Gen. "Mad Anthony" Wayne of Revolutionary War fame is buried on the grounds of Waynesborough CC in Paoli, Pa.

Also, Moundbuilders CC in Newark Ohio (Bendelow - '27) is literally built around a series of 1,000+ year old Native American burial mounds.  Fantastic course.

I'm sure there are a zillion haunted clubhouse stories.  Suggest you work thru Jeff Bollig at GCSAA to post a "media request" item on their member forum to get some ideas.  Jeff's at 800-472-7878.  Bet you get some interesting responses.

PJ

ChasLawler

« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2006, 12:47:17 PM »
Aren't there some gravesites just left of the 7th or 8th tee at the Cascades? Wayne Morrison could probably confirm.

wsmorrison

« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2006, 01:19:16 PM »
You know, Cabell, I think you're right.  As I recall there is a gravesite in the woods to the left of a hole.  I should know this, but I think it is left of the 8th green or 9th tee.

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2006, 02:25:32 PM »
There is a small graveyard on the back of the range near the 10th fairway on Kiawah's Oak Point Golf Course.  It was build on the site of an cotton and indigo plantation (Hope Plantation).  I believe it's the gravesite of the family that owned the plantation.  The plantation ran along the Haulover creek that runs into the Kiawah River and out into the Atlantic..
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 02:26:22 PM by Mike Vegis @ Kiawah »

JohnV

« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2006, 02:28:58 PM »
Brasstown Valley in the mountains of northern Georgia has a couple of areas that are either an old Indian village or burial ground.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2006, 02:40:28 PM »
Wayne is absolutely right. Cruden Bay Number six is called the "Bluidy Burne" because it ran red during an 11th century battle; 16 is called Coffins and seventeen's mound is said to cover the bones of the wariors slain that day

Ward P
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

JMorgan

« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2006, 03:02:34 PM »
Links at Stono Ferry in Hollywood, SC... site of the Battle of Stono Ferry where Andrew Jackson's brother, Hugh, died of heatstroke.  From the website:  

Hole No. 12 - Redoubt
The Battle of Stono Ferry took place June 20,1779.  Remnants of a redoubt used as fortification in the battle were found on this hole and later reconstructed to the right of the fairway.  This military fortification was a part of the British and Hessian defenses.  It is also the beginning of Monument Row.

Hole No. 13 - Battery Wilkes
During the Civil War, Nine Confederate soldiers and the two cannons they manned guarded the Stono River.  The lonely station was known as Battery Wilkes.  A rail line also ran parallel with the river.  The Charleston and Savannah railroad was a vital link between the two port cities

Bruce Katona

« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2006, 05:40:40 PM »
Cherry Valley in Skillman, NJ.  Between the 16th green and the 17th tee is the old farm families graveyard with a few old headstones.  Very nice setting late in the day as the suns sets into the West.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2006, 07:14:07 PM »
St. Edonoc, Prestwick, Muni at Airforce base in Alexandria La, Quarrey Oaks in Omaha, Nebraska are ones I have stumbled into.

Jeff_Stettner

« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2006, 08:01:45 PM »
CC of St. Albans

There is also a large graveyard along three holes at Clairmont CC in Oakland.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2006, 05:21:01 AM »
A faded drive on the 4th at West Cornwall finds a graveyard - a fun hole on a fun course.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2006, 09:46:33 PM »
Great input!  I had no idea of all the courses with architect and undertaker collaborated!

J

Matthew Delahunty

« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2006, 12:44:08 AM »
Stonehaven (near Aberdeen) in Scotland has a final hole made impressive by the adjacent ancient cemetry.

http://www.xaraonline.com/zy41d08564/~local/6CCF336607295C91/18th%20Hole%20Stonehaven.JPG?rev=226200470345AM

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2006, 02:41:07 AM »
Matthew
Thank you for pointing out my home clubs 18th .

Dont tell me you found the cemetary with your final tee shot ? .

Many do , and some get a lucky bounce back onto the green .

The view from the Clubhouse , a couple of weeks ago

Richard Phinney

« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2006, 06:29:46 AM »
The 2nd, 3rd and 4th holes at Ballycastle, Northern Ireland, comletely encircle the splendid ruins of the 15th century Bonamargy Friary, with many fine gravestones which are well within reach on the par 3 third.   The vault contains the coffins of several Mc Donnell Chiefs.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2006, 09:46:00 AM »
Brian,

Since reading James Finegan's book several years ago I have been intrigued by Stonehaven.  Perhaps you can favorite us with a course profile, or at least a few more photographs, please.  

I hope to meet you on the first tee there one day.

Regards,

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Matthew Delahunty

« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2006, 12:00:46 PM »
Matthew
Thank you for pointing out my home clubs 18th .

Dont tell me you found the cemetary with your final tee shot ? .

Many do , and some get a lucky bounce back onto the green .

The view from the Clubhouse , a couple of weeks ago

Brian,

great pic
Unfortunately I didn't get to play it. While I was staying in Ellon to play Cruden Bay, I came across a fantastic photo (of the green and cemetary beyond) in a hotel brochure and thought I'd have to take a look at the course. I stopped off on my way south to and ate some lunch on the hill by the clubhouse. I will definitely put it on the itinerary the next time I get over to Scotland.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 12:03:10 PM by Matthew Delahunty »

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2006, 02:34:44 PM »
To the left of #7 at Texarkana CC, there is a small slave gravesite..nicely protected and preserved.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back