News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

Re:Best Locker Room
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2006, 09:58:29 AM »
boy I love old and creaky and quirky and simple...but no air conditioning on a really hot humid day after playing?  do people actually hang around in these  places after playing and talk, drink, play cards, etc.?
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2006, 10:09:08 AM »
Some of my favorites include:

Adios - The locker, bar and grill are all in one...Men Only of course!

Champions

Old Mo

Isleworth - An absolute "Must See". The new Champions Grill includes a half court basketball court, a golf simulator with over 450 courses, pool table, shuffleboard table, assorted video games, and more overstuffed Lazy Boys and Flat screen TV's than you can imagine.

Robert Emmons

« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2006, 10:26:34 AM »
My fav's:

Seminole
Castle Pines
Bel Air
Redstick

Bill Weber

« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2006, 10:39:33 AM »
For Classic courses agree with Brad about Mountain Lake but what about The Orchards prior to remodel? Pete, New Haven was a treat to see, stepping back in time.
I don't know how any modern course could have anything to compete with Black Rocks home made pastries, see through fireplace and bar, not to ignore the urinals with TV screens to entertain during the lull. ;D
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 10:41:52 AM by bill weber »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2006, 10:57:33 AM »
All of the clubs mentioned have great locker rooms.  One I might add is Old Memorial.  75% of the clubhouse is men's locker room.  The steaks aren't bad either.
On the other hand or the other side of the pond there are some really cool locker rooms.  At Sunnungdale & Royal Liverpool you fully expect to see Bobby Jones chanaging shoes.  Some of the newer clubs have more glitz, like Oxfordshire and Chart Hills.  My favorite?  Royal North Devon.  I think the lockers are original.  I would not be surprised to see Old Tom (original designer) selling balls or J.H. Taylor (who grew upon the course) take down one of the clubs from the museum and try it out on the course.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Andrew Cunningham

« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2006, 11:41:36 AM »
The best new locker room I've been to would be Mayacama.  Although Forest Creek was more of a pure golf locker room.  The best old is a tie between SFGC and Riviera - although the old toilets and spike marks on the benchs at SFGC were a throw back in time.  What a treat!

archie_struthers

« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2006, 11:42:19 AM »

Nice thing to think about while the wind chill is 22 DEGREES here at the Jersey shore.

Pine Valleys' whole clubhouse is like a giant locker room, way cool!

Seminoles is awesome!

Indian Creeks might be better  but

Atlantic City Country Club had it all, except air conditioning.

It had architecture, a great bar, the service, the food and all the other characters in constant residence might have been the best.

I know for a fact that some wayward golfers on the outs with their spouses or on the lam often took up residence there during the summer.

It only lacked air conditioning.

Gordon Oneil

« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2006, 12:01:54 PM »
It can't be a truly great locker room without having a legendary attendant who has been there for years, knows and remembers everyone and can take care of anything anyone can think of.
Over the years, it wouldn't have been the Indian Creek locker room without Eddie or Buddy pouring the vodka on the rocks before I could even sit down, and without having to ask for it.

Steve Curry

« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2006, 12:03:09 PM »
TCC

ChasLawler

« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2006, 02:17:33 PM »
Can somebody explain the fascination with locker-rooms to me?  Besides being a place to change your shoes, why is there such a fascination with watching other men take showers and walk around in towels?  

LOL and couldn't agree more.

Are people lumping in the men's grill with the locker room? Wayne's photo from Indian Creek looks pretty wild, but that doesn't look like a locker room to me.

I'm not too well travelled, but I've been to Kinloch a few times (mentioned in this thread earlier) - and I didn't find the locker room to be anything particularly special.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 04:20:47 PM by Cabell_Ackerly »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2006, 02:24:23 PM »
Will someone please post a pic of Seminole's locker room for those of us who have never been invited to play there? ;D
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 02:24:51 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Brent Hutto

« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2006, 02:29:23 PM »
Can somebody explain the fascination with locker-rooms to me?  Besides being a place to change your shoes............
The proper place to change your shoes is your trunk.

Ah, a real golfer speaks up. Refreshing.

My first choice for where to put on my golf shoes is before leaving my house. If that doesn't work, what works best is to change them while waiting at a stoplight somewhere on the way to the golf course.

At a good golf club, it ought to be possible (if one wishes) to tee the ball up and hit it within no more than six minutes of ones car entering the property.

Gordon Oneil

« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2006, 03:31:29 PM »
"At a good golf club, it ought to be possible (if one wishes) to tee the ball up and hit it within no more than six minutes of ones car entering the property."

I don't think the quote above and having a great locker room are mutually exclusive.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2006, 03:37:20 PM »
Gordon,

No, they're not. You have a point.

John_Cullum

« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2006, 07:43:39 PM »
Can somebody explain the fascination with locker-rooms to me?  Besides being a place to change your shoes............

The proper place to change your shoes is your trunk.

No tipping required.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2006, 08:15:33 PM »
Seattle Golf Club has a classic where few exist in the Pacific Northwest

Paul Carey

« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2006, 11:11:18 PM »
OM...cant beat the locker room, the guys, the pig games, the steaks, the couches and the best bunch of guys that take care of you

TGC...best locker room and great attendants but needs more guys

Burning Tree...special place

Mid Ocean...not really a "locker room" but what a  place to have a rum after that wonderful golf course

David Kelly

« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2006, 11:46:26 PM »
OM...cant beat the locker room, the guys, the pig games, the steaks, the couches and the best bunch of guys that take care of you

If the steaks at Old Memorial are the same ones the owner serves at Outback I'd pass.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

JR Potts

Best Locker Room
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2006, 08:31:27 PM »
Isleworth has, by far, the best locker room I have ever seen.  It is like heaven for guys.  Caveat - there is absolutely no history to it.  However, besides standing next to lockers owned and occupied by Tiger, Shaq, Griffey Jr. and a litany of other athletes, there is a half-court basketball hoop, ping pong table, 9 flat panel TVs, a golf simulator, pop-a-shot, a pool table, a ping pong table, US v. Russia hockey and every other game you can think of.  I could have spent all month there.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 08:33:50 PM by Ryan Potts »

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2006, 09:30:37 PM »
One cool thing that I didnt see mentioned about Isleworths locker room is the display case right when you walk in with Tigers and O'Mearas green jackets.  My other 2 favs which have been mentioned several times is SFGC and Seminole.  I love the bartendars and the Tournament records on the walls above the lockers at Seminole

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2006, 09:40:45 PM »
Isleworth has, by far, the best locker room I have ever seen.  It is like heaven for guys. ... US v. Russia hockey and every other game you can think of.
US vs. Russia??? As a Canadian (Canuck ;) ) this is blasphemy.  This game should always be Canada vs. CCCP with uniforms from the 1972 Summit Series.

JR Potts

« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2006, 10:08:17 PM »
Isleworth has, by far, the best locker room I have ever seen.  It is like heaven for guys. ... US v. Russia hockey and every other game you can think of.
US vs. Russia??? As a Canadian (Canuck ;) ) this is blasphemy.  This game should always be Canada vs. CCCP with uniforms from the 1972 Summit Series.

Mike Eruzinoe tends to disagree.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2006, 10:53:12 PM »
My locker room at Graywalls Hotel overlooking the 9th tee and hole at Muirfield. The view from the facility cannot be beat.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2006, 12:51:28 AM »
I second Mr. Huntley's nomination of the Valley Club of Montecito.  The locker room opens directly into the men's grill!  I always choose a seat that looks in the opposite direction -- there's something about a naked old guy walking from the shower to his locker that can really kill your appetite for that lunch buffet!  ::)

There is also an excellent golf library in the locker room, and the original Dr MacKenzie routing plan hanging in the grill room.  8)

Richard Pennell

« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2006, 08:34:44 AM »
I see a few have mentioned San Francisco here, which is a great choice. But no-one has mentioned the pair of pistols that one of the members bought for the club, displayed in a case in (I'm pretty sure it was) the locker room. They are the implements used in the duel famously held down by the 7th green. Awesome

When Tony Muldoon and I played New Zealand GC a few weeks ago he popped into the locker room and said it looked like nothing had changed since it was built. The lockers have the members' names scratched into the wood and when a member passes on they just put a line through the name and add the next below! The bar too was beautifully traditional.
"The rules committee of the Royal and Ancient are yesterday's men, Jeeves. They simply have to face up to the modern world" Bertie Wooster

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back