News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Hancock

Re:Greywalls review in Golfweek
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2005, 04:01:10 PM »
Here's a few...

Added:
The 9th, again, from a rock outcropping short and right of the green.

The 1st hole, as seen from the 9th green. A par 5 with a roller coaster fairway.

The view of the 18th green from high above....this is just behind the tenth tee, and right of the 9th green.

Hope to get some other high res pictures from Mike soon. I will post others as they arrive!

Joe
« Last Edit: April 30, 2005, 04:58:08 PM by Joe Hancock »
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2005, 04:06:34 PM »
I'm still waiting on a few from the pro photographer as well.  If not I've got a ton from the last couple of falls and during the 2 weeks last fall when the front was open.

The main difference in how it actually looks when it's open in contrast with the photos (apart from the snow) is the heather - it really gives it that finishing touch reminiscent of Kingsley and CD.

George Pazin

« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2005, 04:28:20 PM »
The 3rd photo in Joe's set is obviously the 9th from in front of the fairway bunker. What are the first 2?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Joe Hancock

« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2005, 04:37:39 PM »
Sorry George,

The first photo is the short 17th, and the second picture is the 18th hole. It is a par 5, with a wild ride on the drive and second shot, with a seemingly benign greensite that offers more than will meet the eye. A finishing hole with a lot of contrast.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2005, 05:08:41 PM »
I haven't been back yet to see the 18th completed, but I think what Mike did with that green complex is really cool... a big ol' green sitting down there in the flat, seemingly defenseless. But, I bet there's some contour in and around that putting surface.

The apparent simplicity is very attractive.
jeffmingay.com

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2005, 05:10:52 PM »
Any plans to turn that holding container into a windmill?  

Here's a few...
The 1st hole, as seen from the 9th green. A par 5 with a roller coaster fairway.

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2005, 10:08:49 AM »

Congratulations on another success, Mike and team. Thanks for coming on here to share your passion with the rest of us.

George,

Thanks for the kudos -- Marquette Golf Club is a passionate place and we really fed off that.  The original course does 35,000 -- 40,000 rounds a year on its 18 holes (YES, that is not a misprint!).  The members are avid golfers and love to play -- once winter is over, they are out there in droves.  With the long summer daylight hours, the pro shop is putting carts away at 10:30+pm because they are still coming in!  Adding the new Greywalls for them will only fuel their desire.  Hope everyone gets a chance to come up.

Mike

JakaB

« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2005, 03:50:12 PM »
Did I make a post on this thread earlier today or was it my imagination....

Brian Cenci

« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2005, 12:33:01 PM »
I thought I would throw my two cents on this subject since I played Greywalls earlier this year (end of May) and actually joined their national membership program after my first round.  

I thought the review was complementary until the rating, which I have to say did not justify the quality of the course.

Having played at some of the best public and private golf courses in the U.S. (well mostly Michigan, Illinois, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia) I have to say that Greywalls is in my top 10 and there is no doubt in my mind (having played 11 of Golf Digests top 100 public according to the latest edition) that it is a top 100 public course in the U.S.

I think of any course I've ever played that it is the most difficult to try and "put a number" to how good it is.  Mostly in part because it is unlike any course I've played and somewhat because it needs a few years to mature and really take shape.   #15, for example, a par 3 is a great hole and needs some maturity for the rock walls along the back of the green, that do seem a little to contrived to take shape (but I've seen some pics of the same hole with grass and moss overlaying these areas on this hole during the summer months and it looked much better).  I think the routing was fantastic and each hole has a different feel, my favorite being actually #11, #12 & #13 which have no "greywalls" on them at all (although #18 I am not thrilled about the approach but I'll give it another try before I pass judgement).  

The thing I liked most about the course was that you felt as though you weren't playing a course in Michigan or in the United States.  I kept telling my playing buddies that I thought I was in some Scandinavian country with the way the trees, rock outcropings and hills meshed together.

The use of the granite rock outcroppings complemented the design and did not trump the quality of the design, placement of bunkers and the greens (which I loved).  The course is a great course without the greywalls and I really felt that Mike did a great job of not letting these design elements put too much of a "wow" factor into the course that can take away from the quality of golf that you tend to run into like at an Arcadia Bluffs or Bay Harbor.  I felt the holes were very fare, when there was a long par 4, your landing area was very large (#12 honestly felt like a double fairway at a links course) when the hole was short, accuracy was demanded.  

Overall I think it was deserving of a higher rating (one that seemed more in-line with the raters comments).  I think it is one of those courses that you honestly have to play a few times in order to pass judgement.  

I have some great pictures but am unsure on how to actually post them (unless someone can tell me how).

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back