News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ForkaB

Re:Not walkable = Bad routing?
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2004, 04:17:04 AM »
David/Rich:

Aw hell, you guys are probably right.  I am just feeling old and tired and walking for the sake of walking, at courses that just leave me a whole hell of a lot less exhausted if I take a cart, seems to make more sense than ever.  And whereas I'll never understand how the magical game I experienced at Kapalua is not golf, and how the awful crap I've experienced during very easy walks at places like San Jose muni IS golf and thus is somehow better... well... the most transcendent moments do occur whilst walking.

And Rich, congrats on finally coming around to MY way of thinking about Cinnabar.

;)

TH

Huckaby for President!

Slogan:

"More waffles than Bush 41!  More flip-flops than Kerry!  More baseless confidence than W!  In a complicated world, who needs principles?"

Doug

The only thing keeping carts (mostly) off of old links courses is the conservatism of older members.  The Pros and Club Managers are drooling at the revenue possibilities and would sell out their souls in a St. Andrews Minute.  Just wait till the geezer like me die out and The Old Course, Dornoch, Turnberry, Prestwick, etc. will look like an open air bumper car ride. :'(

THuckaby2

« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2004, 09:31:33 AM »
Richard:

Some things are worth taking a stand on, some things aren't.  This is all SO based on personal preferences about the game, well... there are battles and then there are battles and we haven't moved in a decade on this, so it's folly to think we will now.  So you can have this one.  You remain completely misguided and insane about handicapping issues, though.   ;)

Dan:

Shivas Irons remains wise and I do live by his teachings, but... he never lived in California.  I sincerely believe if he lived in San Jose, he'd do some riding.. as you have come to do yourself.  That is really all I am saying here, and I think when it gets down to it we agree:  the BEST golf is played walking, but the game can be played out of a cart and sometimes it is wise to do so, when circumstances find you at a course with such characteristics.  Having walked from 9 green to 10 tee at Wente Vineyards, well... I came to see the light.

;D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 10:05:56 AM by Tom Huckaby »

THuckaby2

« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2004, 10:30:46 AM »
So why not one of you are cart-ball fans explain how you can do a good routing job on a cart-ball course?

Wente Vineyards.  The routing there is wonderful, the holes flow well togther, but yet you have the ghastly climb from 9 green to 10 tee.  Allowing this climb though takes advantage of the ridge to provide 4 damn fine golf holes above the rest.  Would you have had Norman NOT go up there, just to preserve the walk?  Seems silly to me.  

Disagree?

TH

« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 10:31:09 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Kelly Blake Moran

« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2004, 05:13:54 PM »
Nice one Ian, I guess I can be less than honorable at times.  Now according to Dan King I am a down right pig, taking money from the highest bidder.  Dan, could you please give me the list of client's that are bidding up architects fees?  Please.  You have set a high standard, and you are pushing architects to think deeper about what they are doing.  Good.  I think you are doing a good thing, to disparage some of the scum like me that have done courses with carts, and are difficult to walk seems excessive but so be it, Imean there will always be the beautiful people then there will be us white trailer trash.  Let me push you a little. I just shelved my metal driver and 4 wood and have gone back to my persimmon Toney Penna driver, and I just purchased a Toney Penna persmmon 4 wood to go with it.  I think of it as enhancing the golfing experience, ever bit as worthy as walking which I do also, so I hope you and others join me.  There are a lot of beautiful persimmon woods on ebay for cheap that nobody wants.  I hope you join me.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back