News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

J Sadowsky

Re:Modern Clubhouses
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2008, 09:05:25 PM »
I think that its most important that the clubhouse exterior fits in with the golf course's style.  With LN off the NY skyline, a more modern approach works.  I'm not sure I would go with the same approach in, say, Bandon or Oakmont.

On the other hand, Birkdale's clubhouse is ugly, imho.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 09:06:45 PM by Justin Sadowsky »

Tim Taylor

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2008, 10:48:10 PM »
Great topic that I thought about posting back in the fall and wussed out!

I like most of the modern clubhouses shown here.

Why does every damn clubhouse have to fit one of the "traditional" forms of Colonial, Cape Cod, Tudor, etc?

I find a lot of the fake "old" look of many clubhouses to be totally pretentious.

Tim

Norbert P

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2008, 01:05:37 AM »
 In doing some research on grasses and environments - machair in particular, I came upon the Isle of Harris Golf Club (Scarista, Scotland) which has a modest clubhouse built into the earth so it is invisible from behind - not killing a view to the Atlantic.  Unfortunately, I could not find a picture of it on the "interweb".  Anybody seen it or have photos?  

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

jeffwarne

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2008, 09:00:14 AM »
Great topic that I thought about posting back in the fall and wussed out!

I like most of the modern clubhouses shown here.

Why does every damn clubhouse have to fit one of the "traditional" forms of Colonial, Cape Cod, Tudor, etc?

I find a lot of the fake "old" look of many clubhouses to be totally pretentious.

Tim

Tim,
For the same reason that every new golf course has to have jagged/ragged edges on it's bunkers.
I guess "template clubhouses" would be an accurate description.
For a golf course architecture forum, this site does not really embrace innovation in courses or clubhouses.
Jeff
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2008, 09:10:15 AM »
Some of those "modern" club houses look like airport terminals.

Agreed. They should just install a monorail and rename the club Liberty International. That structure would make for a handsome terminal D.

Having said that, I don't have a problem with the concept of designing a modern clubhouse, as long as it looks well executed. The one at the Bridge, while not my cup of tea, is pretty cool.

Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

John Moore II

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2008, 09:15:26 AM »
Jeff--I agree that it seems that many of the people on this site are quite traditionalists. I like innovation in all types of golf course practices. Be that on the golf course or the clubhouse. I think often times, we try to go back to older courses for models to use today when maybe we need to look forward and use all the technoligies available to make a new, unique golf course. Same with clubhouses. Use great building architects to design a clubhouse as unique as the golf course that exists at a given place.

Scott Lagana

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2008, 07:09:34 PM »
I have to say that those are awful!

I thought I had read on this site that there was going to be a book published on clubhouse's. Has anyone heard of any?

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2008, 08:29:09 PM »
Voytek,

Do you know if they're going to run PATH train service out of there, too, or just the ferry?

Mark

PS Steve S Art Deco I think...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 08:32:11 PM by Mark Bourgeois »

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2008, 11:02:43 AM »
Voytek,

Do you know if they're going to run PATH train service out of there, too, or just the ferry?

Mark

PS Steve S Art Deco I think...

Mark:

Not sure if you ask in jest (given the apt comparisons in this thread to an airport terminal...:-), but here goes anyway.

The ferry from Manhattan to LN is supposed to be a private launch, so no dice.

The only way to get to LN via public transportation is to take the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail to the nearby Liberty Science Center and then walk about half mile (not exactly a nice walk).

There is supposed to be an upscale restaurant at LN with hopefully public access - if done well it will be worth a visit (for both food and the views).

« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 11:05:48 AM by Voytek Wilczak »

Jim Franklin

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2008, 01:51:58 PM »
I like the clubhouse at The Bridge. I am a fan of modern architecture and thought some of the clubhouses listed were pretty cool. Sue me ;).
Mr Hurricane

James Bennett

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2008, 05:32:30 PM »
Any comment on the clubhouse at Abu Dhabi, where the European Tour played last week.  It is the one that must be sponsored by the local Aluminium smelter, with the big bird wings and beak straddling the clubhouse and looming towards the home holes on 9 and 18.  Once seen, never forgotten.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2008, 06:15:38 PM »
Abu Dhabi GG

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tom Yost

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2008, 06:40:00 PM »
(Abu Dhabi GG)

That looks like an airport terminal!

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2008, 06:47:33 PM »
Architecturally, this reminds me of some Nazi party headquarters.

Ugh.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2008, 06:01:24 AM »
Similar to George Costanza, I always wanted to be an architect. While not a clubhouse, I always thought this was a cool picture of a blending of architectural styles. In the middle is the new Cornell Architecture School and in the distance is the Johnson Art Museum on Cornell's campus over looking Lake Cayuga.

I think Doak banned himself from walking near the art museum!  ;)

On a small intimate place like Nantucket, I like the one dimensionality of the island architecture and the "cedar shingle" clubhouse at Nantucket GC. In the diversity of The Hamptons, The Bridge works.

Here is Hudson National:

« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 06:23:54 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2008, 07:29:06 AM »
Abu Dhabi's looks like a Chrysler hood ornament on the juice. He looks quite angry.
Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

Emile van Hasselt

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2008, 07:47:41 AM »
I played the course in Abu Dhabi last month and enjoyed it more than its big brother in Dubai (The Emirates). The course comes across as more mature. Anyway when I first saw the clubhouse in Abu Dhabi, I thought it was ghastly. Like Tom Yost mentioned it does look like an airport terminal, however after approaching it for the second time coming down the 18th it does start to grow on you. If you consider the rest of the architecture in the area its actually quite good.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2008, 08:51:26 AM »
The examples on this thread mostly demonstrate the clubhouse is not about the game itself or the location on planet earth that the course sits, but about all the other stuff (amenities) that seem to be the requirements that the non-golfers demand in order for the golfers to play golf.

The best examples of clubhouses I am aware of are:
-Shinnecock Hills for its design and stately presence.  It really lives up to its role as a meeting place for upper upper crust.
-Medinah for its funky 20's atmospheric theatre like fun

I think the the clubhouse should act as the portal or gateway between the world of golf and the rest of the world.  Magnolia Lane at ANGC meets that goal, but there would be other means too.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back