News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

Re:What great courses have you played *a lot*?
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2007, 12:41:55 PM »
Pebble Beach 100
Syglass 50
Coghill 100
Blue Monster 50(not great course, but lots of rounds)
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2007, 12:54:29 PM »
Since when was a Doak 7 top 100 in the world? ???

FWIW, I said "worthy of serious consideration to be in the Top 100 in the world", which surely equals far more than 100 courses. (I don't know how many Doak 7+8+9+10 courses there are in the world, but I'm pretty sure there are plenty of Doak 7 courses in the various Top 100 lists you'll see in different publications...)

Jordan Wall

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2007, 12:55:34 PM »
Seattle CC probably 35 or 40 times.

Thats all though, but I at least wanted to add something
 :)

Tom Birkert

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2007, 12:59:52 PM »
Only one, Sunningdale Old, probably well over 100 times, lost count to be honest.

Some might include Sunningdale New in such a list, in which case that too.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2007, 01:03:49 PM »
Bayou Desird Cc 500 plus
Oakbourne Cc 500 plus
Monroe La Muni 500 plus
Cypress Pointe 40 plus
Pebble Beach 40 plus
Champions GC 40 plus
TOC 30 plus
Olympic Lake 30 plus
Spyglass 30 plus
Mountain Lake 20 plus

Nyk Pike

« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2007, 01:22:03 PM »
Bandon Dunes - 300+
Pacific Dunes (1-7) 500+
Pacific Dunes (1-18) 200+

St. Andrews (Old Course) 100+ (on Sony PS2 as Old Tom) ;D

Andrew Hastie

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2007, 01:30:59 PM »
 :)New South Wales G.C about 30 times in the early 90's.

Dean Paolucci

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2007, 01:39:59 PM »
Being relatively new (and after trying to search the site) could someone direct me to the Doak Rating Scale?
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."  --  Mark Twain

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2007, 01:47:48 PM »
Riviera               100+

Cypress Point      100+

Pebble Beach       100+

The Old Course    100+

Los Angeles C.C.  a bunch

Bob

Andrew Hastie

Mike Benham

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2007, 01:57:27 PM »
Olympic Lake - 30+
Palo Alto Muni - 75+
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Dean Paolucci

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2007, 01:59:52 PM »
Andrew - My many Thanks!
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."  --  Mark Twain

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2007, 02:03:12 PM »
Mr. Benham: now if we're going to include Palo Alto Muni, I have several others I can add.  But that did give me a chuckle.

Mr. Huntley:  I dare say you could include each course at MPCC, in each of their incarnations.   ;)

Dean Paolucci

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2007, 02:05:19 PM »
Knoll 300+
Sleepy Hollow 80
Ridgewood 30
Plainfield 25
Somerset Hills 20
Baltusrol Upper 20

JESII

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2007, 03:07:34 PM »
Being relatively new (and after trying to search the site) could someone direct me to the Doak Rating Scale?

I thought intimate knowledge was part of the acceptance criteria for GCA.com...Dean, how exactly did you come to join this site? I believe there has been a breach...

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2007, 03:17:08 PM »

I thought intimate knowledge was part of the acceptance criteria for GCA.com...Dean, how exactly did you come to join this site? I believe there has been a breach...

JES, i didnt know about it to a couple of months ago. Chuck me out while your at it! ;D

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2007, 03:20:31 PM »
I've played Cypress Point every night for the last 3 years, between around 11pm and 5am ;)

This would appear to be a slightly different version of my many, many dozens of rounds at Pebble, Sawgrass, TOC, Turnberry, Troon North, etc. on Tiger Woods 2005. :-\
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

JESII

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2007, 03:28:23 PM »

JES, i didnt know about it to a couple of months ago. Chuck me out while your at it! ;D

No sweat Matt, I still don't know the rules...don't tell anyone!

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2007, 03:28:37 PM »
Mr. Benham: now if we're going to include Palo Alto Muni, I have several others I can add.  But that did give me a chuckle.

Mr. Huntley:  I dare say you could include each course at MPCC, in each of their incarnations.   ;)

Tom,

As much as I love both courses at MPCC I thought the question was of the "Greats."

If included, the Shore and Dunes would have to add up to about 5000 rounds.

Bob

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2007, 03:31:30 PM »
5000?  You slacker.

;D

And I believe the MPCC courses count... Darren said Doak 7 or better... that's defined as:

7:  An excellent course, worth checking out if within 50-100 miles. You can expect sound design; interesting hiles; good conditions and a pretty setting; if not necessarily anything unique to the world of golf.

If the MPCC courses don't merit AT LEAST that, then it's a better golf world then I'm clued into.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2007, 03:32:08 PM »
Dornoch - 35 rounds
Brora - 20 rounds
Huntercombe ( not rated by Doak, but a good course) 100 plus

After all my rounds at Brora I still manage to  knock it unwittingly into the Burn year after year on the outward nine! Much though I love the course, I still find some of the routing difficult to remember - more like likely - possibly? - on a natural links....so maybe Darren you need to play at least 50 to really know what is going on!

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2007, 04:28:51 PM »
I can't even begin to count the number of times I've played The Ocean Course here on Kiawah Island... ???

Tim Leahy

« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2007, 04:42:58 PM »
Olympic Lake - 30+
Palo Alto Muni - 75+

Mike does Palo Alto still have the world class Hof Brau House at the clubhouse, carved roast beef sandwich is definitely a Doak 10.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Mike Benham

« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2007, 04:51:22 PM »
Olympic Lake - 30+
Palo Alto Muni - 75+

Mike does Palo Alto still have the world class Hof Brau House at the clubhouse, carved roast beef sandwich is definitely a Doak 10.

Talk about an original design that was bastardized by "someone who knew better", sadly, no ...

Harry's Hofbaru, the original occupant (well, at least after the new clubhouse was built in the 70s) left a while ago but they still have their location in Redwood City and Foster City (and maybe one in Palm Springs).

Someone else came in after they left, kept the Hofbrau menu for awhile, and now it is some other variation ...

PA Muni was my lunchtime spot, a hot open-faced turkey or roast beef sandwich, for many years in the 1980s ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2007, 05:35:46 PM »
FWIW, I understand that even a great many regular contributors here won't be able to fit the criteria I've listed. However, I think it's still worth asking to see how many of us have *depth* of exposure to great courses as well as simply *breadth*. (What I definitely wouldn't want to see this thread to simply become a pissing contest...)
Darren
The more I travel, and the more courses I see, I think I'm becoming inclined towards playing multiple rounds at individual courses, rather than 'ticking off' as many as possible. In Melbourne last month I really wish I could have played RM West and K Heath 3 or 4 times each, rather than what I actually did ... maybe next time.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back