News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Wright

Re:Separated By A Common Language: Are You Yankee or Dixie?
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2007, 02:41:03 PM »
Exactly 50%--talk about a split personality! Pretty surprising since I've never lived in the south...
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2007, 04:09:52 PM »
Strange.

I'm a first-generation Canadian of Italian descent living in Toronto, but the test says I'm "60% Dixie". Hmm.

On the other hand, maybe to the real southerners, "60% Dixie" might as will BE an Italian-Canadian.  :)

Peter

Shane Gurnett

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2007, 05:16:57 PM »
74% Dixie. Which for an Australian is perhaps understandable??

Jay Flemma

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2007, 05:44:23 PM »
51% dixie!  Yeeeeeehaaaaaaaa!

George Pazin

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2007, 05:53:30 PM »
Exactly 50%--talk about a split personality! Pretty surprising since I've never lived in the south...

Damn, I thought I was gonna be closest to 50/50. I ended up 52% Dixie.

Does anyone pronounce "cot" and "caught" differently, and if so, how?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Goodman

« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2007, 06:15:53 PM »
Sure -

"Caught" has the schwa sound in it:  like "cawt," roughly rhyming with "fought."  A "cot" ain't got no "awt" in it. :)

Michael Christensen

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2007, 09:02:18 PM »
53%...barely into dixie category!!!!!!  I live with these guys now, I must do better!

I am what y'all call a damn yankee....I am not going home! ;D

Jamey Bryan

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2007, 09:17:58 PM »
Mike, I thought you'd know that damyankee is one word.  A Goddamyankee is one of them damyankees that comes south and STAYS!

I was only 68%.....   apparently the 9 months I lived in Maryland counted against me.

Brent....  I'm surprised nobody else has picked up on your reference to the War of Northern Aggression.  After all, the last Dixie Cup was our revenge for just that atrocity.

Jamey
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 09:24:36 PM by Jamey Bryan »

paul cowley

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2007, 09:38:54 PM »
53%...barely into dixie category!!!!!!  I live with these guys now, I must do better!

I am what y'all call a damn yankee....I am not going home! ;D

Micheal.....don't sweat the damn yankee thing. I moved south from upstate NY 30 years ago and I don't mind the damn yankee moniker at all....cause I'm not a DUMB yankee, like those that stay put up yonder ;).

....scored 61% Dixie BTW.....

paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Brent Hutto

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2007, 09:42:28 PM »
Jamey,

I guess we've come that far in a century and a half. We're smart enough to pick a battle we're sure we can win.

Paul,

At 61% you're getting there. You might have been born into ignorance but at least you saw the light.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2007, 09:44:59 PM »
49% Yankee. Growing up in Northern Virginia/Washington DC I'm about as much on the fence`as one can get.

This reminds of the time that I went to the USGA party for the opening ceremonies of the Walker Cup at Peachtree. The wife of our host leans over to me and says "everybody here is speaking English but nobody knows what anybody else is saying."

Joe Hancock

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2007, 09:45:55 PM »
49% Yankee, dadgummit.....

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2007, 11:22:50 PM »
Down here telling somebody that they're only 92% Dixie could well result in an ass-whuppin'.

CLASSIC!!!  ;D ;D ;D
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2007, 11:24:09 PM »
I have cut up my Hillbilly Tour card, donned a burlap sack and am spreading Martha White self-rising flour over my entire body as a sign of repentence.

RIOT!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tim Bert

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2007, 11:48:23 PM »
76% Dixie, which is pretty durn good since I just got back to the south 18 months ago after a 6 year excursion to New England.

Many of my individual answers referenced the Northast, so I guess I picked up some of my bad habit there.

Shoot, I reckon I can do better in another couple years.

John Kirk

« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2007, 11:59:45 PM »
41%, a Yankee despite using Y'all.  Actually, I thought I was about 91% Giant.

James Bennett

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2007, 12:38:06 AM »
74% Dixie. Which for an Australian is perhaps understandable??

Shane

I hit 67% Dixie!

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Dan Boerger

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2007, 07:55:26 AM »
38% - I'm a definitive Yankee -- but I alreay knew that!
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Kirk Gill

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2007, 09:42:56 AM »
53% Dixie.

What do you expect from a Coloradoan ?

We're basically neither.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

George Pazin

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2007, 11:07:20 AM »
I came out 48% Yanqui.  Strange as I have never lived in the south.  There were probably 4 questions which I couldn't give an answer.  The two most surprising things I learned were I can't remember exactly which words I use (I use all types of crap and am not sure if I grew up with it or picked it up along the way) and few people other than Michiganders call Devils Night Devils Night!

Ciao  

I know what you mean, I had a similar reaction to a few. There's several that I use different words depending on the company.

And we call it Devil's Night in the Burgh as well.

Question: I didn't read the site all that closely - does 48% Yankee mean you're 52% Dixie? Or are they mutually exclusive?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Steve Pozaric

« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2007, 12:23:36 PM »
56 Dixie, what I would expect from living in a border state with some time in Texas
Steve Pozaric

Tim Taylor

« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2007, 12:30:16 PM »
Same score here Wayne. And I grew up in Harrisburg. I guess 10+ years in Northern VA have rubbed off on me. Or, as they call it in the rest of the Commonwealth "Occupied Virginia" :)

Now if you'll excuse me I need to use the service road in order to grab my lunch (a hoagie and a pop) which will be brought back to the office in a sack.

Tim

45%, barely a Yankee.  I think my score was low because I'm not a New York/North Jersey Yankee.  We are a breed apart in Philadelphia and thankful for it  ;)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 12:33:45 PM by Tim Taylor »

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2007, 05:32:49 PM »
Question: I didn't read the site all that closely - does 48% Yankee mean you're 52% Dixie? Or are they mutually exclusive?

George - I think it is a <<<Dixie - Neutral -Yankee>>> scale sort of thing. If you are 48% Dixie you're on the left side, if you're 48% Yankee you're on the right.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 05:33:18 PM by Michael Whitaker »

Chris Cupit

« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2007, 08:56:59 PM »
89% Dixie.  Thank goodness ;)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2007, 10:47:41 PM »

George - I think it is a <<<Dixie - Neutral -Yankee>>> scale sort of thing. If you are 48% Dixie you're on the left side, if you're 48% Yankee you're on the right.

Nope, I'm wrong. The closer you are to zero the more Yankee you are... the closer to 100 the more Dixie. 50% is right in the middle.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back