News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JakaB

Re:Yale out of top 100
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2004, 05:47:17 PM »
For Mr. Langone to be consistent I would wonder how he could recommend a Coore and Crenshaw course over Eastward Ho....on the cape that is..

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2004, 06:05:53 PM »
klangone,
I think Nigel is defending the non-comments on the website.......at least that is my take.

I understood the the comments, which were anything but subtle.

But, the natural extension of his comments are, a club with a web site would seem to be inherently blowing its horn.

Perhaps Nigel missed that subtlety.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2004, 06:06:30 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

klangone

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2004, 07:24:54 PM »
Good point Jakab.....nothing against the historic links in Chatam, but Old Sandwich will be the Friars Head of the cape.  And I think the board will agree Fazio is no Crenshaw/Coore when it comes to latest projects.  The Farm and Wade Hampton are the last Fazio creations I respect.

SPDB

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2004, 07:37:27 PM »
Klangone,
One problem with your analysis, Old Sandwich isn't on the Cape.  

Jim_Michaels

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2004, 07:41:33 PM »
Patrick, Of course a club with quotes like that is blowing its own horn. Just because you don't think there is anything wrong with that self-promotion doesn't mean it isn't self promotion. Give the guy a break.

dfrey

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2004, 08:26:10 PM »
SPDB.....I think OSandwich is close enough to be considered on or near the Cape.  It isn't on the North Shore........give klang a break.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2004, 09:20:28 PM »
Jim Michaels,

Evidently, my remarks, subtle and bold, went over your head.

Keith Durrant

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2004, 09:45:46 PM »

Alex Rodriguez, Texas Rangers shortstop and Dallas National Member

Well, Alex won't be a member there much longer... ;D

Incidentally, which club in the NY area would you recommend A-Rod join?

Go Sox !! 8)

Gene Greco

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2004, 09:49:18 PM »
Trump National, of course, since it is the best course in New York! ;)
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

dfrey

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2004, 09:53:24 PM »
The day A-Rod was traded....there was a write-up in the News or Post outlining the chances A-Rod has to join the BIG clubs in Westchester:

Winged Foot - 10 year wait list
Quaker Ridge - said he would have to convert
Westchester  - mentioned that Clinton couldn't get in
Three Pond Farm - estate on LI for sale

I'd guess his best chances are Hudson National or Trump National.......

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2004, 10:27:00 PM »
The day A-Rod was traded....there was a write-up in the News or Post outlining the chances A-Rod has to join the BIG clubs in Westchester:

Winged Foot - 10 year wait list
Quaker Ridge - said he would have to convert
Westchester  - mentioned that Clinton couldn't get in
Three Pond Farm - estate on LI for sale

I'd guess his best chances are Hudson National or Trump National.......

Do they list what his odds would be if they happen to win the World Series this year?  

Tom_Doak

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2004, 08:20:48 AM »
Hopefully A-Rod will join either Friar's Head or Sebonac.  Or, if he wants to live in the city, Garden City G.C. might be his best bet ... as long as Martha Burk never finds out.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2004, 08:25:19 AM »
Or, Hopefully, he will show us all how savvy he is, and buy some decent terrain, and build his own.  8)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2004, 08:27:15 AM »
Oh, I almost forgot ... back to the original topic of this thread ...

One of the perverse problems of doing course rankings is that the voters' information is often out of date.  You're counting votes of people who have not been to some of these courses for several years.  So, it often happens that if a course starts to deteriorate, as Yale has, it starts sliding slowly for several years as more of the panelists see that for themselves.  Further, people who haven't seen the deterioration start hearing about it and revising their votes downward as they make room for new courses in their own top 50.  So, even if the club rights the ship, it may continue to slide for a couple of years until the panelists start seeing the positive changes.

This isn't an ideal situation, especially in the case where a club takes the rankings so seriously that a slip causes them to question positive work that has been done to the course.

However, for me, letting nature take its course in this example is far better than trying to correct the problem editorially by manipulating the results.  Brad should be commended in this instance for letting the chips fall where they may.

Brad Klein

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2004, 08:28:20 AM »
A-Rod plays NO golf during the baseball season, so he might not join a NY-area club at all. Golf throws off his swing timing, or at least that's how he handled things in Texas.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2004, 09:21:50 AM »
Brad- I've seen it considered the other way. The baseball swing messes with your golf game. :D

Jim_Michaels

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2004, 09:43:14 AM »
Tom, I'll bite. What is Sebonac?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2004, 09:55:56 AM »
klangone:

Help me out -- you never said if you have PLAYED Dallas National?

Also -- have you played another first rate course by TF called Glenwild in Park City, Utah?

If you have not played either than I have to say you deserve the anti TF fan club award! How to I make that statement? Simple. People play just a handful of courses from an architect they despise and then they carry that baggae in forever -- even when the portfolio shows differently as I believe it has with Dallas National and Glenwild.

Dallas National transformed a bleak site into a winning golf course. The combination of holes is quite good -- after you start with a gradual build-up at the very beginning. If you think any of the holes is poorly done or contrived please speak specifically to what holes and if you an please state what is wrong in your mind.

I mean if one is to condemn a golf course because of self-serving comments from a Website then I know what the real agenda is -- it's called reaching for anything to grab on to to make a shameless point.

P.S. If Websites were available years ago during the classic period of course architecture I am equally sure you would have seen similar like comments touting the benefits of a wide range of courses -- e.g. Pinehurst, Greenbriar, Equinox, etc, etc.

bakerg

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2004, 10:01:31 AM »
Jim,

I think this is what Tom was referring to:

http://www.gpinet.com/projects_parks_sebonac.html

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back