News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Benham

Re:More Details on King's Putter III.
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2004, 10:55:59 AM »
Scott - no, it's still Burbank-Glendale-Pasadena (just referred to as "Burbank" by most Californians, used to be called Hollywood-Burbank back in the day... ahhh, the memories)...though it would be cool if they did name it Hope Airport, both for him and for the cool connotations!

http://www.burbankairport.com/next/index.html

TH

Huck -

Scott is right, Burbank Airport will be changed to Bob Hope Airport ...

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2003-11-04-bob-hope_x.htm
"... and I liked the guy ..."

THuckaby2

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2004, 11:01:37 AM »
Mike - the key words being "will be."  It's not yet.
Scott said "renamed."

NEVER mess with me when discussing things I ought to know better than someone who lives 3000 miles away... and never try to catch me being wrong.  That doesn't happen, remember?

;D ;D ;D ;D

TH

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2004, 11:06:38 AM »
though it would be cool if they did name it Hope Airport, both for him and for the cool connotations!

Ah, but Tom, the fact is that you didn't know that it was going to be changed and I did (I just didn't know when it was effective) - and I'm clear across the country.   ;D
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 11:07:33 AM by Scott_Burroughs »

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2004, 11:14:39 AM »
Wait a second.  That article said it could be effective before the end of (last) year.

UPDATE:  I just called the airport, it is officially Bob Hope Airport.  Nyaah, Nyaah.   8)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 11:17:23 AM by Scott_Burroughs »

THuckaby2

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2004, 11:23:29 AM »
Scott:  you win the battle, but I win the war.  BTW, I have yet to hear ANYONE refer to it as "Hope".  So whatever the hell they wan't to call it, it's not used yet... if it ever will be.

But more importantly, I got you to actually make a long-distance phone call to settle this matter of world importance.

I AM THE CHAMPION
I AM THE CHAMPION
NO TIME FOR LOSERS
CUZ I AM THE CHAMPION.... of the world.....

There is no winning when up against one who will never admit defeat.   ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 11:24:27 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2004, 11:38:51 AM »
Same thing at Reagan National.  5 years later (or however long it's been), and everyone still calls it National.  Same thing for John Wayne.  It's still "Orange County".

I bet most people up your way still call the 49ers' stadium "Candlestick"?  I know I do.

Carlyle Rood

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2004, 11:51:37 AM »
I bet most people up your way still call the 49ers' stadium "Candlestick"?  I know I do.

I haven't been following the NFL recently, but are the Los Angeles Rams still in the playoff race?  ;D

C

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2004, 11:55:24 AM »
As a long time Washingtonian I refuse to call it anything other than National.  It is one of the most convienent big city airports in that it is just a couple of miles from downtown.  After renaming it Reagan I'm surprised the planes can still find the runway!  ;)

Mike Hendren

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2004, 12:02:41 PM »

I haven't been following the NFL recently, but are the Los Angeles Rams still in the playoff race?  ;D

C

No Carlyle.  Neither are the Georgia Crackers.

Mike
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 12:03:49 PM by Mike_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mike Benham

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2004, 12:52:54 PM »
Same thing at Reagan National.  5 years later (or however long it's been), and everyone still calls it National.  Same thing for John Wayne.  It's still "Orange County".

Scott -

Unfortunately, you are wrong on this one ... it is Candlestick Park (again) as the 3-Com deal expired and no over-funded dot.com was still in business to throw there name on "The Stick".

Now PacBell Park is a different deal ... they have taken down the old PacBell signage and will be putting up the SBC moniker ... it probably will always be called PacBell by the locals ...

I hate being right on these things  ;D ;D ;D

Mike

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2004, 01:11:11 PM »
Mike,

How am I wrong?  I stated that most people still call it Candlestick.  Is that not true?  I never mentioned 3Com.   ;)

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2004, 01:16:44 PM »
It will always be National to me. they could name the Burbank/Hope the Bernhardt airport and I would not care and still call it Burbank. Now back to the important things like golf food and drink and golf architecture.

HamiltonBHearst

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2004, 02:03:49 PM »

"after renaming it Reagan, I am surprised the planes can still find the airport". Now that is funny. Gee and people thought it was innapropriate to refer to Dean with a name.

David Kelly

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2004, 02:21:26 PM »
Lou,

John Wayne Airport is at least 75 miles and a hell of a lot of traffic away from Rustic Canyon.  
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

THuckaby2

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2004, 02:28:13 PM »
Lou,

John Wayne Airport is at least 75 miles and a hell of a lot of traffic away from Rustic Canyon.  

That's sure as hell what I thought also, David... but if he gets a good price into there, well... one does what one must.

I also am waiting for Scott to come in and correct both of us!

TH

ps - just remember also JW is quite a bit south of LA, Rustic, and points farther north from there.  Allow LOTS of time to get there for the return, if that's what you choose.. about an hour more than each of Burbank and LAX, maybe less if you're lucky.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2004, 02:41:29 PM »
Tom,

I already mentioned that JW was a long trek (see above), you guys are basically reiterating/confirming what I said.

FWIW, I made it from 10 miles closer than JW to Rustic in 1:15 on a very early morning weekday.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 02:41:55 PM by Scott_Burroughs »

Mike Benham

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2004, 02:44:57 PM »
Lou,

That's sure as hell what I thought also, David... but if he gets a good price into there, well... one does what one must.

I also am waiting for Scott to come in and correct both of us!

TH

ps - just remember also JW is quite a bit south of LA, Rustic, and points farther north from there.  Allow LOTS of time to get there for the return, if that's what you choose.. about an hour more than each of Burbank and LAX, maybe less if you're lucky.

Heck, Ontario (ONT) is the same distance away from Burbank and would be a far easier drive, traffic wise, as you can avoid going through LA ... and the upside is that you get to drive close to if not through the town where the Huckster grew up (waiting to be corrected on this assumption ...)

THuckaby2

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2004, 02:57:31 PM »
I knew you couldn't resist, Scott!  And your helicopter trip is the stuff of legend.

;D ;D

Hmmm... had to think about this for a minute but yes, well done Mr. Benham, although I'm guessing you got the exact hometown incorrect... Yes, Mr. Duran will have to drive through beautiful NORTH HOLLYWOOD to get to either Burbank or Ontario airports... and re the former, he'll get within a mile of where my parents still live.  Watch out for all the plaques and historic monuments marking my achievements.

;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 02:58:11 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Lou_Duran

« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2004, 03:20:10 PM »
Huck,

What an honor that would be!  Just follow the highway and street markers to your house?  Do you think that your parents would actually let may lay in your bed for just a brief moment?  Where do I buy my ticket?  I'll even light a few candles at the altar.

My current reservations are to Orange County because AA has a specila mileage deal (20,000), and the times work out well.  I will check into other area airports, but this poor, Bushwacked boy has to mind his pennies.  Life can be real harsh some times.  ;)

Thanks for all the input.

THuckaby2

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2004, 03:24:29 PM »
I dunno Lou... tickets go pretty fast and I just can't give sweetheart deals to just everyone... but since you so capably remembered to bring candles for the altar, we'll find a way to squeeze you in.  Best viewing times for the Huckaby artificacts are around lunchtime, as my mother puts out the typical school lunch our hero had.  You have not lived until you've managed to stomach a peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwich.   ;D

Re all the rest, oh yes, get good airfare rate, will travel, I say.  Just do factor in a bit more ground time, that's all... that is unless you have Scott B. to drive you around.

TH

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2004, 04:28:24 PM »
I will gladly be Lou's chauffeur if you guys can get me there (permission).  

Lou_Duran

« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2004, 04:46:13 PM »
Peanut butter with mayo and an inch or so of lorraine lettuce when in season.

How about strawberry shortcake with milk for breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the late spring?

Scott,

Warning: being my chaffeur can be hazardous to your health.  And if you expect to get somewhere, if I am driving the best I can offer is a 50/50 chance of getting there.

jg7236

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2004, 10:09:47 AM »
I will check my schedule, but I would love to play if I can.  Since I currently live in Palm Desert, California, I don't see any reason why I shouldn't play.  Keep me posted on any info on the Rustic Canyon.

Cheers,

John

ed_getka

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2004, 03:42:52 PM »
I turned the King's Putter into an erhu. ;) BTW Mike, don't work too hard on the music, since I haven't actually begun the lessons yet.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2004, 10:10:18 PM »
Anybody interested in sharing a room at KPIII?  I have one already booked (2 queen beds) for Friday and Saturday night.  Send me a direct IM if interested.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back