News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

Tiger,
Even for a golf resort?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jordan Wall

Jordan,

So you are sticking with your position that $150 for a round of golf is not ultra expensive.

John,

That is indeed what I believe.
There are some pretty so-so courses for $150-$190, and I think when courses get into the $225+ range, the courses are good enough to be that expensive, which is why I would portray $225+ for a round as 'ultra-expensive'., and which is why I have only played one 'ultra-expensive' course in my lifetime.

George Pazin

Jordan -

You'll hopefully pardon me for saying this, but that makes no sense.

If the $225 courses are much better than the $150, then at least that implies they are a good value.

And not to be rude, but how many $150 rounds have you paid for?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tim Pitner

Jordan,

I'm afraid price, whether at the $150 or $225 level, does not guarantee quality.  I'm not sure at what point an expensive course crosses the threshold into an ultra-expensive one, but $150 is pricey.  

tonyt

Jordan,

$150 ($200AUD) is ULTRA expensive for a round of golf.

That there are many examples of how you can pay a lot more is sad, but doesn't change that. Merely "expensive" is anything that hits three figures.

Steve_ Shaffer

I think the developer's input should taken into account as to how difficult the course should be;otherwise, there would be a lot of one and done play.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

John Kavanaugh

Steve,

Is it a common perception that private courses are harder than publics.  What keeps a developer from thinking he needs an easy private to impress potential members on their initial look-see play. Aren't almost all of the public resorts at the top of the lists and thus return visit places built to challenge the golfer.  Bethpage, Torrey Pines, Pinehurst, Bandon, Kiawah, Cog Hill etc, etc.  Please name some easy courses that beg for return play...

Bill Gayne

Below is the list of top ten resorts per Golf Digest. All of them fall in the ultra expensive category.

1. Pebble Beach G. Resort (1)
Pebble Beach, Calif. pebblebeach.com
800-654-9300 89.65 $475 Owners have spent $20 million over the past 18 months, upgrading rooms, improving bunkers and drainage, adding trees to its celebrated courses.
2. Bandon Dunes Resort (5) Bandon, Ore.
bandondunes.com
888-345-6008 89.46 $260 A third course, Coore and Crenshaw's Bandon Trails, opens in June. Until then, Bandon Dunes and Pacific Dunes courses remain the buzz of the golf world.
3. The American Club (2)
Kohler, Wis.
800-344-2838
destinationkohler.com 87.59 $275 Who knew Wisconsin could be so hot? Four terrific courses (including Whistling Straits) and two top hotels have made Kohler the heartlandâs golfing heartthrob.
4. Sea Is., The Cloister & Lodge (6)
Sea Island, Ga.
seaisland.com
800-732-4752 86.22 $400 The main Cloister building is being rebuilt, but there are still plenty of beach-, front rooms there and at the Lodge. Consistent raves for the three courses, too.
5. The Greenbrier (3)
White Sulphur Springs, W. Va.
greenbrier.com
800-453-4858 86.11 $285 Boredom is physically impossible here, with 50 recreational activities and three fine golf courses. Latest addition is swimming complex with infinity-edge pool.  
6. Pinehurst Resort (4)
Pinehurst, N.C.
pinehurst.com
800-487-4653 84.52 $176** Major renovations to No. 6 course, directed by Tom Fazio, are designed to place it among resort's "Championship Set." The big draw remains masterpiece No. 2.
7. Four Seasons Resort Hualalai (15)
The Big Island, Hawaii
fourseasons.com
800-332-3442 83.69 $560 Highly decorated destination÷No. 1 on Conde Nast Traveler's '04 Resort Spa survey÷is home to a Nicklaus-designed 18 running right along the Pacific.
8. Lodge at Koele/Manele Bay (7)
Lanai, Hawaii
islandoflanai.com
800-321-4600 83.31 $400 Four Seasons is taking over management. That should give the already plush accommodations a lift. In the meantime, its two courses are as popular as ever.  
9. The Homestead (8)
Hot Springs, Va.
thehomestead.com
800-838-1766 82.21 $175 Cascades, among America's 100 Greatest Courses, is one of three fine tracks at this historic getaway. What's new: upgrades to clubhouses for golf, shooting.  
10. The Boulders (9)
Carefree, Ariz.
wyndham.com
800-553-1717 81.75 $625 If the two courses wear you out, Golden Door spa now has guided meditation with a shaman. Also new: night-vision goggles for exploring nocturnal wildlife.  

To answer the question of this thread: Should ultra expensive public courses be designed differently than privates?

My answer is yes if they want to be ultra expensive. In addition to architecture, the courses/resort also have to be better than most private clubs for conditioning, service, amenities, facilities, location, history, and lodging. The courses I've played on this list have all fit the bill.

($150 is ultra-expensive in my book when you consider mandatory lodging and if you have to pay for family.)

« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 10:32:22 PM by Bill Gayne »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back