News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Stan Dodd

Re:Neil Young DOES Play Golf
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2006, 12:56:19 PM »
I have a bootleg of him playing at Princeton by the Sea not golf.

Gary Daughters

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2006, 01:06:00 PM »
I Am a Child

"When I get big, I'm gonna get an electric guitar."
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 01:07:56 PM by Gary Daughters »
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Billsteele

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2006, 01:44:30 PM »
Quite often when I play, I find myself thinking about "Cowgirl In The Sand."

PThomas

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2006, 01:57:14 PM »
I Am a Child

"When I get big, I'm gonna get an electric guitar."

a great photo Gary!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Gary Daughters

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2006, 02:07:57 PM »

That's me over the putt.  The guy in the funny hat thinks he's Neil Young.

THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2006, 02:35:32 PM »
I have a bootleg of him playing at Princeton by the Sea not golf.

You ever make it up there for one of those late-announced special gigs, Stan?  Classic, classic stuff.

The Neil portion of my collection is nearly 1000 discs - looking forward to the official upcoming Archives releases.  Check out "Live at the Fillmore" coming out soon, featuring the original Crazy Horse lineup (with Danny Whitten on guitar).

I love when GCA turns to music...

Paul Payne

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2006, 02:38:08 PM »
Brian,

D-d-d-did you say 1000 Discs!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2006, 02:41:53 PM »
And that's just the Neil-related portion.

Music is an addiction, particularly when you find out how much is out there.  Reliving past tours and sessions is often more fun to listen to than the final products...

Stan Dodd

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2006, 02:54:29 PM »
Brian,
Way Cool.  We need to hook up.
I thought mine was large.  I have about 50 Neil discs.
He is my guru
Saw Greendale a couple of times.  I loved it.
Have never made it to the Catalyst or Princeton though.
It ain't a right to be on TV It ain't a duty either.

Paul Payne

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2006, 03:46:36 PM »
I am truly impressed!

I thought I was a music fan but my entire collection is a paltry 1500 discs or so. I am sad to say my NY section is only 12.

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2006, 03:54:34 PM »
After all the official releases, you start to try to fill in the gaps.  Mine might seem large, but I know guys who have an obscene amount - full tours from the mid-90's onward completely documented.  These days if you attend a show, if you know where to look you can find a copy of it in very short time.

I've only seen Neil six times (three of which were at Farm Aid, and two of which were CSNY), so I'm hoping he takes another solo tour again soon.  I can't think of much better than his solo acoustic tours, where the setlist evolves as whatever he feels like playing that night.

We'll definitely meet up whenever I can make it back your way, Stan!

Jay Flemma

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2006, 03:56:38 PM »
Neil shows hos you dont really have to have a great voice or be a great guitar player to rock the house.  He's the patron saint of garage rockers everywhere.

Ron Kern

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2006, 08:20:48 AM »
FYI for those interested:

http://home.rustradio.org/torrentlist/

and

http://www.rustradio.org/tracker/

Sometimes it's tough to get a registration to Dime but it's woth it when you can finally get signed up.

If you ever get the chance to get Perfect Echo, a soundboard collection from Neil's entire career, grab it.  It's up to 10 discs do it takes quite a while to download, but it will keep a Neil Young fanatic happy until the archives start coming out this November with the Fillmore 1970 concert.

Have fun.

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2006, 08:36:37 AM »
Good links.  DIME is here:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/

The Rust Radio mp3 stream (www.rustradio.org) is a good intro to what's available...

Eric Franzen

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2006, 08:39:24 AM »
Neil shows hos you dont really have to have a great voice or be a great guitar player to rock the house.  He's the patron saint of garage rockers everywhere.

I would have written "technically great voice", but I'll belive that we are on the same page on this one anyway.  

One guy from the Neil Young school is definitely Jay Mascis - Dinosaur Jr. And yes, he's also a golfer.

Ted Kramer

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2006, 08:41:54 AM »
Cat Stevens and Jimmy Buffett came up in my ipod today on the way to work . . .

Cat Stevens, Where do the Children Play
On Golf Course Architecure and the current trend to go bigger, longer and tougher, with more and more machinery taking us away from what the land offers us . . .

"Well I think its fine, building jumbo planes.
Or taking a ride on a cosmic train.
Switch on summer from a slot machine.
Yes, get what you want if you want it, cause you can get anything.

I know we've come along way,
we're changing day to day,
But tell me where do the children play?"
----------------------------------------------------------

Jimmy Buffett, Nautical Wheelers
Sam Sneed used to say something about 3/4 time, as it refers to music and or dance, being the best tempo for a golf swing. I try to sing the following lyrics to myself on the first tee and whenever I feel myself "speeding up" during a round . . .

"Nautical Wheelers who call themselves sailors
Play fiddle tunes under the stars
Petticoats rustle, workin shoes scuffle
Shuffle on down to the bar . . .

Where the jukebox is blastin and the liquor is flowin
An occasional bottle of wine
Thats cause everyone here is just more than contented
To be livin and dyin in three quarters time"

-Ted

ForkaB

Re:Neil Young Doesn't Play Golf
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2006, 03:51:48 AM »
Neil P. hasn't posted scores in a while, but I hear he still plays at an old favorite from the Bravenet discussion board days...HMB:

Neil P. Young GHIN

I can't believe that Neil Young is now a member of Half Moon Bay GC!  Has he moved over the hill?  When I was there (1984-1987), the club-within-the-club Cat House (later renamed Katz Golf Club due to the prigginess of the NCGA) was the best Club if have ever been a member of.

Looking at his GHIN scores, however, his theme song must be "Hacking in the Free World." :)

Anthony Butler

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2006, 10:01:38 AM »
Does Neil still do the "the Bridge" concerts at the Shoreline Amphitheater?  It was an annual thing for cystic fibrosis when I was living in SF in 1992-96. Neil has two kids with CF from two different women... the odds of that are astounding.

I was reminded of that recently when my (pregnant) wife tested positive on a CF screen. It was a long week waiting for my negative result.

Get you and your partner screened if you are planning on having kids!!!
Next!

Gordon Oneil

« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2006, 10:25:44 AM »

Paul.. but of course:

OUTWARD NINE:

1) Sugar Mountain
2) I am a Child
3) Mr. Soul
4) Cinnamon Girl
5) Ambulance Blues
6) Time Fades Away
8) Harvest
9) Tonight's the Night

INWARD NINE:

10) Cortez the Killer
11) Hurricane
12) Loner
13) Powderfinger
14) After the Gold Rush
15) Harvest
16) Hey hey, my my
17) Ohio
18) Down by the River

Boy, I continue to be surprised how this site gives you a little bit of just about everything.

I like "Cowgirl in the Sand" for the short game area and, my absolute favorite, "Out on the Weekend" provides the perfect tempo for any trip to the range, or rockpile as I like to say.

Yeah, great thread, Neil applies to just about everything in life.

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2006, 10:46:11 AM »
The annual Bridge School benefits are still going strong with great lineups every year.  Sooner or later I'm definitely going to make that trip.

That whole thing was Pegi's idea.

Stan Dodd

« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2006, 10:56:20 AM »
The Bridge school Concert is coming up this Oct 20.  It benefits The Bride School (duh).  the school Neil and Pegi founded that deals with all disabilities.
The Lineup The 20th Annual Bridge School Benefit Concert will be held on Saturday, October 21st at 4 pm and Sunday, October 22nd at 2 pm at the Shoreline Amphitheatre.

This year's line up for both days includes (not necessarily in order of appearance):

Neil Young
Pearl Jam
Dave Matthews Band
Brian Wilson
Foo Fighters
Trent Reznor
Death Cab for Cutie
Gillian Welch
Devendra Banhart
plus special guests!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2006, 11:03:34 AM »
Very innarresting

Read 'Shakey' by Jimmy McDonaugh.  One of the very few biographies of current musicians worth picking up.  Neil made himself available to the author - you decide what games he played with him.

Great book, all music fans will find something in it they can relate to.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mike Benham

« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2006, 11:16:18 AM »

Has he moved over the hill?  

Depends on what side of the hill you are talking about and to some degree, when you are up in all those trees, do your really know where the hill is?  They grow some funky stuff up there that you won't find in your local farmers market.

He and his bus driver do frequent an establishment owned by a friend of mine on the coast side of the hill ...

Brian - How the heck did you not include a drive by of NY's place during your GCA famous honeymoon?
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2006, 11:35:24 AM »
Mike: I wasn't really sure where exactly the ranch was, though I knew I was in the vicinity as I drove up by Half Moon Bay.  As a member of the Rust List I know of a few instances where less discriminating Rusties were known to go right up into the property.

I think I saw Old Princeton Landing though, where many famous unannounced gigs took place.  In fact this was all up on my drive to play with you and Mr. Reilly.

SPDB

« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2006, 12:08:08 PM »
I thought it was just in on the coast from Pescadero sort of toward Portola Valley?

One of my favorite shots (from Broken Arrow Ranch):

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back