News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

I think that deep down inside the Euros would rather win the Ryder Cup than win a major. For the USA guys, it's vice versa.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

George Pazin

I think this supposed secret desire is so secret that it is in fact non-existent.

The reason the US guys don't seem to want to play is because they get ripped in the press after any loss. The press can't accept the fact that the European team is very good and deserved to win. If there hadn't been The Incident at Brookline, I imagine the European press would have laid into their boys following that collapse as well, but fortunately for them, they had a rallying point instead.

Look at the difference between the US squad after the Presidents Cup down under (98, I think) and the US squad last year. After the former, people were wondering if the Presidents Cup would survive. No one after the last 2 seemed to think that.

And, I'm sorry, but taking a week every year to go play in an exhibition like the Ryder Cup or the Presidents Cup just isn't even remotely taxing for anyone. Any excuse of being tired or whatever is just that, an excuse. If we were winning, things would look a lot different.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mark Pearce

And, I'm sorry, but taking a week every year to go play in an exhibition like the Ryder Cup or the Presidents Cup just isn't even remotely taxing for anyone. Any excuse of being tired or whatever is just that, an excuse. If we were winning, things would look a lot different.
You really don't want to believe the evidence, do you.  Nearly every player that has played Ryder Cup in the past twenty years has said at some time that the most pressure they have EVER experienced has been on the first tee in that event.  Pressure makes the event taxing.  That pressure is the same for both sides (maybe it should be greater for the Europeans) so it's not an excuse for the US performance.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

George Pazin

And how often do you see the players say they are too many majors, Mark?

We all face pressures in our every day life. Good Lord, there are doctors that face life and death decisions every day. It's golf. One of the reasons the European team seems to succeed is that they welcome the Ryder Cup pressure, not deflect it.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 11:49:36 AM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back