News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Wiggett

Re:Bifurcation - or, different equipment rules for tournaments
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2006, 04:26:43 PM »
Doug,

the point I was making is that it is possible to make a rule to combat the length problem but no one is really bothered about doing it. It seems most people are more interrested talking about why the game is being ruined by technology and why it is impossible to do anything about it.

TEPaul

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2006, 08:49:07 PM »
"How many of you support having two sets of rules? How many of you want golf to maintain its tradition of one set of rules for everyone?"

Matt:

I do not support bifurcation of I&B Rules, not to solve the distance problem of elite high swing-speed players or for any reason.

I pretty much do feel that to go a long way towards solving the distance problem today amongst elite high swing-speed players without hurting the distance of the rest, the best solution is for the R&A/USGA to institute a new ball regulation limiting the minimum amount of spin rate of conforming golf balls. This will effect the potential carry distance of high swing speed players and ironically it may even help the carry distance of slower swing speed players.

Ironically, it appears that for about forty years low swing speed players have been using golf balls that are too low spinning to enhance their carry distance, while the exact opposite appears to be true for high swing speed players---eg they were using golf balls that were too high spinning to enhance their carry distance.

A new regulaton that conforming golf balls must have a higher spin rate may also have a benefiical influence on the goal of firming up putting greens generally.  ;)

« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 08:53:50 PM by TEPaul »

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2006, 04:03:32 PM »
"How many of you support having two sets of rules? How many of you want golf to maintain its tradition of one set of rules for everyone?"

Matt:

I do not support bifurcation of I&B Rules, not to solve the distance problem of elite high swing-speed players or for any reason.

I pretty much do feel that to go a long way towards solving the distance problem today amongst elite high swing-speed players without hurting the distance of the rest, the best solution is for the R&A/USGA to institute a new ball regulation limiting the minimum amount of spin rate of conforming golf balls. This will effect the potential carry distance of high swing speed players and ironically it may even help the carry distance of slower swing speed players.

Ironically, it appears that for about forty years low swing speed players have been using golf balls that are too low spinning to enhance their carry distance, while the exact opposite appears to be true for high swing speed players---eg they were using golf balls that were too high spinning to enhance their carry distance.

A new regulaton that conforming golf balls must have a higher spin rate may also have a benefiical influence on the goal of firming up putting greens generally.  ;)

TEPaul,

I posted earlier under this topic stating I have shifted my thinking towards restricting the equipment allowable for championship golf.

However, I will acknowledge, that it would likely be wiser to first go the route you are advocating.  If that solution then appears to be workable and an adequate answer, then bifurcation is not needed.  If the equipment problems continue to exist, then bifurcation is still an option to consider.

Second of all, I gather from some of your other posts that you have an extensive history of golf tournament administration.  On this topic I am prone to grant much respect to the opinion of those of you who do have an extensive history involved with golf administration.  I am quick to admit that some of the "solutions" I have proposed may have already been thoroughly though out by others, and thus some of the problems I have not yet perceived as a part of my "solutions" may have already been realized by others.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back