News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JR Potts

Re:White Deer Run, Chicago
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2006, 02:38:17 PM »
What is wrong with Cantigy though?  I've walked some of the holes.  I live 5 minutes away from it and people RAVE about it.

What's wrong?

Adam Clayman

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2006, 02:51:13 PM »
It's been along time since I was there...
What is wrong with Cantigy though?

But as I recall...Everything.

I have only played it three times, and other than one par 3 and some hole that dogs right sharply, the last 50 yards thru the trees, I can't recall a thing.

Mediocrity at it's most medium.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Dan Moore

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2006, 03:30:56 PM »
Cantigny has undergone a fair number of changes in recent years and will be hosting the US Amateur Public Links Championship next year.  It just hosted the Western Junior where the winning score of the 16 year old winner was -7 (281).  Another 16 year older shot a 64 (-8).  Haven't played it myself.  

FYI.  Prairie Landing is Trent Jr. not Rees.  
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

JR Potts

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2006, 05:01:14 PM »
The 12th hole at Prairie Landing....the worst par 3 I have ever played!  Besides that, I remember the course being rather enjoyable.  Not great though...and not worth ponying up the cash to play it every weekend.

Oh, I forgot another course.  Bollingbrook.  The course is okay to play.  You'll have an enjoyable round.  However, the bar there is awesome.

Another fun course is Wedgewood.  Is a Joliet Park District course.  It has about 5-6 really good holes and two great holes.  They host the Joliet Amateur there (it draws a surprisingly good field - I think Dave Ogrin actually won it about 20 years back).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 05:06:40 PM by Ryan Potts »

PThomas

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2006, 05:56:56 PM »
The 12th hole at Prairie Landing....the worst par 3 I have ever played!  Besides that, I remember the course being rather enjoyable.  Not great though...and not worth ponying up the cash to play it every weekend.

Oh, I forgot another course.  Bollingbrook.  The course is okay to play.  You'll have an enjoyable round.  However, the bar there is awesome.

Another fun course is Wedgewood.  Is a Joliet Park District course.  It has about 5-6 really good holes and two great holes.  They host the Joliet Amateur there (it draws a surprisingly good field - I think Dave Ogrin actually won it about 20 years back).

Ryan:  Bolingbrook is okay as you say, but the one thing that I found surprising there is that the last three holes there have water down the right side...must make for a rather unpleasant finish for all the slicers, esp since I would guess the course gets some wind out there

I Believe that's teh site where the John Daly 8000 yd monster will be built
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Paul Richards

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2006, 08:19:09 PM »
Gents

Prairie Landing is a links course - same as Spanish Bay is a links course.

:-[ ::) :'(

The definition of a 'links' course around here is one with no trees, FYI.

Cantigny was a very nice public facility - I played it probaby 20 times, but it's been a number of years since I've been there, so I can't comment on its current state.

As mentioned, the bar at Bolingbrook is very nice.  As far as the golf course, if you enjoy 18 greens that fall away from the approach shot, front-to-back then this is the course for you!

:-[
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

JR Potts

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2006, 08:28:35 PM »
Don't forget the Jans.

Bittersweet is public?

Any of you guys play Klein Creek?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 08:30:09 PM by Ryan Potts »

Paul Richards

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2006, 08:30:09 PM »
Shivas

>Anyone who can tell Prairie Landing from The Merit Club is a genius, though, in my book.

The difference is 100% in the conditioning.  As far as the architecture ------  you're on your own.

::)
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

JR Potts

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2006, 08:31:00 PM »
And the price.

Paul Richards

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2006, 08:31:11 PM »
Ryan

Good point.

Peter Jans National is RIGHT THERE - just a notch below Augusta National and Trump National, of course.

;) ;) ;) ::)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back