News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Chapman

Re:Curtis Cup at Bandon/Pacific Dunes this weekend
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2006, 10:40:29 PM »
As someone who has never been to Bandon, but hopes to someday, the pictures of Pacific Dunes were awesome.

Really awesome looking bunkering all over the place and it seemed the ladies were able to play a variety of shots (which is what should all be about, right)!

One question, is the 16th fairway as undulating as it looks on the TV? I guess I was watching the first match and saw them playing and you could barely see Jenny Suh when she was hitting her second shot!!

PThomas

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2006, 10:45:07 PM »
TOny - yes, that fairway has LOTS of undulations!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2006, 10:58:46 PM »
The golf course was setup nearly perfectly, IMO, with a healthy softness about it, partly anticipating strong winds today and the resulting desire on the part of greens staff and usga to not let the golf course get away and be too severe...remembering that the Curtis Cup is an amateur competition.

With the "Chamber of Commerce" weather today, the players were generally able to control the ball on shots into the greens, upwind or downwind.

Both sides drove the ball well, though the American players were consistently longer.  Most of the outcome hinged on better putting by the Americans (Jane Park in particular) and a few less damaging shots coming down the stretch.

Of all the players, to my eye Jane Park has the best golf swing, and certainly putted as well as anyone.
the pres

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2006, 02:23:28 PM »
bump and bump

Doug Ralston

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2006, 03:00:09 PM »
Come on there big men!

If some little 16-yr-old girl can shoot avg 68 on the course, why would YOU find it difficult?

Actually, looks like the girls are having some fun out there. Good venue.

Doug

Doug Ralston

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2006, 03:10:20 PM »
Oops, wrong tourney. LOL

Doug *bonk self*

Chris Kurzner

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2006, 07:45:19 PM »
Just got finished watching the first day on TIVO after my first visit to Preston Trail (wow that was a wonderful experience, except for the three doubles!!!)

Who do I see caddying for Jenny Suh but "Surfer Dave"!!!

I can't wait for the Milwaukee tournament to end so I can get another fix!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 07:45:45 PM by Chris Kurzner »

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2006, 12:33:14 AM »
What a great day for GCA type golf courses. The course looked and played perfect. Tom sounded good as well.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2006, 12:42:21 AM »
I missed all of the coverage which kills me.  Looks like it was spectacular by photos like this.  This from the greenside bunker on #13.

Peter Pratt

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2006, 08:40:13 AM »
Tom Doak,

What surprised you about the way the women played PD? I know the wind was down, except Sunday afternoon. I saw on TV that they were hitting short irons into #13 on Sunday morning and 3 woods in the PM.

Peter

Chris Kurzner

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2006, 10:06:39 AM »
Tom,

I was wondering what you thought of the coverage?  While it was great to watch and the golf was much better than I had anticipated, I was disappointed that none of the front nine was televised.

Additionally, what did you think of one of the commentators referring to 17 as a Redan?  Not the typical comment you hear from them.   I thought perhaps that was something you had fed them.

Adam_F_Collins

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2006, 10:10:25 AM »
Not having been there, I was surprised by the scale. Some of those fairways are enormous. It's a vast landscape. I was also struck by the effectiveness of some of the bunker placement. - was it the one on 15 in the lay up zone that caught both balls of one of the singles matches Sunday? I loved that. Because, from the green, that bunker looked so small compared to the fairway...

Adam_F_Collins

« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2006, 10:12:04 AM »
I also thought the GB&I coach referring to Bandon as "Heaven on Earth" was quite a compliment.

David Panzarasa

« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2006, 10:16:11 AM »
Was watching it this weekend, and was a pleasure to watch. GREAT looking course.
 On kind of a side note, I would think the U.S Team got to pick the course (obviously not the players but the people in charge), why on earth would they even think of playing this course for the Curtis Cup? I would think the GB&I team would be laughing and thanking god that the US Team picked a course like this. Why would the US not pick a course that suits their games and not the into the hands of the opponent? Am I wrong here, does anyone else not notice or thing this? you would think they would get a more parkland type of course where the players on the US team are use to playing, and not a course that the GB&I team grew up practicing on their entire lives. (obviously different course, but still not the normal US course this was), but unless the announcers did not say this was in the USA I would bet my house the majority of the viewing public would think this was being played in Europe. Dont consider this a wise choice (althought GREAT course)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 10:17:55 AM by David Panzarasa »

PThomas

« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2006, 10:20:47 AM »
Tom,

I was wondering what you thought of the coverage?  While it was great to watch and the golf was much better than I had anticipated, I was disappointed that none of the front nine was televised.

Additionally, what did you think of one of the commentators referring to 17 as a Redan?  Not the typical comment you hear from them.   I thought perhaps that was something you had fed them.

Chris you are correct re that it sucked that the fron 9 was ignored

Dan Hicks made a (Freudian?) slip as he was going into commercial one time...he said "on the links of Ire[land], then caught himself and said Oregon

he later on said the place was about as pure golf as one sees

I've been there 3 times and I can't wait to go back!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2006, 10:23:04 AM »
I was also sad they had no coverage on the front nine. however all in all it was great stuff.

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2006, 12:02:01 PM »
David P......In my two days of watching play, it was the GB&I team that made the worst shot decisions, in my opinion.  Three times that I saw a player chose a lofted club for a pitch into a cup cut tightly against a false front, only to chunk the shot and suffer the consequences.  They occurred on 15, 16, 18.

It was not my impression that the wrong venue was chosen for the style of play favored by the US team.

Good golf, pure golf, Bandon Dunes golf!!  
And unusually calm and 'perfect' weather for it all.

Tom
the pres

Bill_McBride

« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2006, 01:03:22 PM »
We'll never know and it's idle conjecture, but I wonder how the GBI women would have fared in high winds vs the US women.  From what I saw it the US women were really tough minded, I think they would have done whatever was required.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2006, 01:46:15 PM »
I was impressed by Dan Hicks - especially his comments on now understanding architecture and how Keiser picked three designers/design teams (C&C) to build 3 great courses.

I was very happy with the coverage.

My only complaint is that this type of coverage exposes Bandon to many more people.  I kinda liked playing Pacific Dunes a month after it opened and almost having the place to ourselves.

I just hope it doesn't become a place to be seen as opposed to a place to experience.  It's just too damn special.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 01:46:34 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2006, 01:48:41 PM »
Wow.  I had no idea the course could look that easy..

It's the two-dimensional nature of television.  If anything, it shows how important three-dimensional thinking is to golf course architecture - something done so extremely well at PD.

I think we had a thread on n-dimensional designs a few weeks ago.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2006, 01:52:34 PM »
I was impressed by Dan Hicks - especially his comments on now understanding architecture and how Keiser picked three designers/design teams (C&C) to build 3 great courses.
I was very happy with the coverage.
My only complaint is that this type of coverage exposes Bandon to many more people.  I kinda liked playing Pacific Dunes a month after it opened and almost having the place to ourselves.I just hope it doesn't become a place to be seen as opposed to a place to experience.  It's just too damn special.

I was a little surprised that they never showed a flyover of the whole course or even a picture of the other two courses. It seemed like a perfect time for a Bandon advertisement. I don't think they even showed  a map of Oregon to let people know where in America this was. Could this have been on purpose?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2006, 03:02:07 PM »
There was a well-done Bandon ad on Sunday that focused on Bandon Trails.  

Jim Nugent

« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2006, 01:01:58 AM »
David's point makes sense to me. Maybe the U.S. women are head and shoulders above the GBI team, so it didn't matter?  Or did they get hot while GBI was cold, ala the reverse of what normally happens at the Ryder Cup?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2006, 01:14:32 AM »
The GB & I team pretty much all seemed to think they would have fared better if the wind had blown more ... their captain said as much at the Sunday night dinner and her players murmured in agreement.

But in fact, they had made a pretty good comeback in the morning foursomes, and faded when the wind came up in the afternoon.  I agree with Tom J. that some poor shot selection down the stretch didn't help.  Still, there were plenty of great players on both sides, and if GCA.com would get up a team of eight, I would bet on either of the two Curtis Cup sides grinding you down [and looking much better in the process].

The USGA Women's Committee votes on the site of Curtis Cup venues in the U.S. and two or three of them were very big fans of Pacific Dunes, including the late Pamela Emory, who spent some time in Bandon while we were building the course and who really loved it.  By the end of the event, ALL of the committee members on both sides seemed to be thrilled with the selection.  The president of the L.G.U. called it "the finest links course I have ever seen" at the opening ceremonies, probably the nicest compliment I've ever got about the course.

Can't tell you how much fun it was to see them play it and play it so well.  But, it was a reality check, too -- if 18-year-old girls can do this, what lengths will I have to go to in order to challenge PGA Tour players?  I'm beginning to wonder if I even want to know the answer to that one.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2006, 04:49:31 AM »
I was kinda shocked at how receptive the greens were, to be perfectly honest.

If you want to know how to test the PGA pros, Tom, I'd say don't let 'em water AT ALL.

But I love seeing car wrecks......like the most recent Open at Shinnecock.

Really, though, I saw those girls stop some balls that I never get to stop.  Park hit a chip down below the mound on #15 green.  The balls didn't seem to roll all over the place on #17 like they do for my golfing companions.

Maybe we need to clean out our groves better or something.  Buy some Pro Vs.

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back