News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Benham

Re:Courses you have not played but "need to see in your lifetime"..
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2006, 12:05:39 PM »
JakaB -

Sounds like another thread promoting/identifying/calling out "access" ...

However ;) I'll say Victoria National ...

MB

Mike,

Any registerd poster on this site is always welcome by me...handsome or not..

Thanks for taking the hook ... as for me, it is more important to play with good people, then worrying where to play, which is why VN would be a hoot.

Even to the point where I might turn down a round at ANGC or PV if I had to play by myself ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2006, 12:10:13 PM »
Mike - well said.

That's a topic that's been broached before on here as well.  I know I freaked out Lou Duran a few years ago when I turned down solo golf at BelAir in favor of playing a par three with my Dad and brother in law....

For me it's both.  I want great courses AND great people.  I've been very lucky to have a lot of golf in each scenario.

But you're right - I have yet to play a solo golf trip - that is, rounds at places where I play knowing no one - and I doubt I ever will.

Expect JK to call me on this also, some way, some how.  Just don't listen to him.

TH

Tom_Doak

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2006, 12:11:38 PM »
I think the only ones I really "need to see" are Banff and Jasper.  In fact, that's kind of one reason I still haven't gone ... I don't want to run out of reasons to live!

But I do think that at any given moment nowadays there are perhaps a half-dozen courses being constructed which will be added to the list in the years ahead, and that's a pretty good reason to keep on.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2006, 12:12:06 PM »
JK - I think I've seen as much of it as anyone else here!  I drove up and peaked in awhile back.  You can't see much.

But yes, I guess we can add that one. But since it's basically a private course with the private meaning "open only to the friends of one man", I don't count it as real.... much like the county doesn't seem to either.

TH

I just can't get over the arrogance of the above statement...hmmm..What do you mean the country doesn't seem to think it is real either..
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 12:14:44 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2006, 12:16:25 PM »
John, I'm gonna fall back on the sage word of my daughter:

whatever.

Yes, no one I know outside of this site thinks that course is real.  The vast majority have never heard of it, and that's even AFTER a SJ Merc story on it.  It's not considered real because no one - and I mean no one - other than personal friends of ONE MAN has any chance to play it.  It's not publicized - in fact it's hidden.  Hell even the architect hasn't played it.  It seriously may as well not exist.

This is quite different than a private club with several hundred members... anyone can dream about playing Cypress, we all do... it at least has some semblance of reality for one and all, even if very few ever do make it so.

This course does have none of that.  It also doesn't really look all that great!

But... Think what you will.  You're horrifically wrong, but it really doesn't matter.

Me arrogant when it comes to golf... good lord... that's a new one.

TH
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 12:19:25 PM by Tom Huckaby »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2006, 12:17:04 PM »
Our good friend Neal seems to think it is real as can be seen from the ASGCA profile:

Neal Meagher, ASGCA, Associate Member

4457 Linda Way
Pleasanton, CA  94566
(925) 417-7513
Fax: (925) 417-7514
E-mail: nmgolf@pacbell.net

Education: College: Mississippi State University
Degree: BLA (1984)

Courses: Seven Oaks Country Club - Bakersfield, CA
Woodcreek Golf Club - Roseville, CA
Sterling Hills Golf Club - Camarillo, CA
The Institute - Morgan Hill, CA
Maderas Golf Club - Poway, CA

Remodeled/Renovated Courses:
Richmond Country Club - Richmond, CA (complete reconstruction of all greens and most bunkers)

Glendale Country Club - Bellevue, WA
(renovation of all existing bunkers; new fairway bunker & two new greens)

Rogue Valley Country Club (The Rogue Course) - Medford, OR
(reconstruction of five greens, minor reconstruction of 13 greens, renovation of all bunkers)

Pittsburg's Delta View Golf Course - Pittsburg, CA
(reconstruction of nine greens with bunkers)

Lone Tree Golf Course - Antioch, CA
(reconstruction of five greens with bunkers)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2006, 12:20:11 PM »
But as you know, my good friend Neal hasn't played it and isn't allowed to even discuss it!  So of course it's real as a design credit.  But is it real for playing the game of golf?

TH
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 12:20:31 PM by Tom Huckaby »

JSlonis

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2006, 12:21:25 PM »
Where to start.....?

Shinnecock Hills
National Golf Links
Sand Hills
Pacific/Bandon Dunes
Pebble Beach
Cypress Point
Oakmont

...and many more!

Also, a trip to Ireland.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 01:16:17 PM by JSlonis »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2006, 12:22:53 PM »
But as you know, my good friend Neal hasn't played it and isn't allowed to even discuss it!  So of course it's real as a design credit.  But is it real for playing the game of golf?

TH

I don't know that...and he is our friend..Friendhog..

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2006, 12:25:03 PM »
Well John, there are often things one doesn't know, and thus one ought not to criticize/talk out of one's ass before he does know.

But yes, Neil is a friend to one and all.  I meant nothing else.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 12:27:48 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Tim Pitner

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2006, 12:25:18 PM »
Getting back to the original question . . . there are scores of courses on my "to play" list, but I really only need to play three courses:  Royal Dornoch, Royal County Down, and a heathland course, perhaps Sunningdale.  

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2006, 12:27:01 PM »
Tim I would love to get back to the original question.

Just remember JK asked for courses "outside the obvious".  Those three would probably be classified as such.  I don't mean that as any offense... only I - and I think JK - would be more interested in what LOCALLY or not famous you want to play but haven't.  Any Colorado courses left for you?  Have you played Cherry Hills or Denver CC and if not do you have a strong desire to?

TH

Philip Gawith

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2006, 12:27:01 PM »
BV - I think you mean Durban Country Club, not to be confused with Royal Durban which is a pretty forgettable course inside the Greyville racetrack.

I would hate you to go all that way and play the wrong course. :)

rjsimper

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2006, 12:28:18 PM »
I never thought I'd see Wilshire on a "need to play" list, but I gotta tell you I've played it a couple times and I really enjoyed it.  It's not that big of a golf course, but the holes are fun and interesting and the greens might be the best I've ever putted.

Chalk it up to being a local boy :) Other than watching the Ralph's Senior Open at Rancho Park (and getting Arnold Palmer's autograph as he walked off the 18th that he famously botched many years prior) My most vivid childhood memories of competitive golf are from my mother taking me to the Senior event at Wilshire.  I remember a par 3 near the parking lot/clubhouse...maybe 8,9,or 10 that played over the barranca to what I remember as an interesting green, and I remember watching Terry Dill absolutely launch a ball off the 18th tee and then look at me as I politely clapped, a young chap of maybe 10, and said "thanks...a birdie sure would be nice huh?"

I've not set foot on the property in probably 15 years, but it's just kind of stuck with me.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 12:29:02 PM by Ryan Simper »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2006, 12:32:19 PM »
Ryan - that is #10 right near the clubhouse/parking lot... very cool hole with a wickedly cool green.

I used to play HS matches there... have lots of stories...

But I totally understand where you're coming from on this.  I felt the same way about Riviera, long before I was lucky enough to play it... Saw the LA Open there as a small kid, always thought of playing there as the holiest of grails.  Got to do so way sooner than I thought I would - HS match there also.  Oh man I have NEVER felt pressure like the qualifier to make that match... I wanted it so bad....

BTW not to turn this into an access thing (but on the other hand I kinda want to now because I know how that will frost JK and I'm of a mind to do so right now), but I have a good friend who's a member there.  Just say the word and the course is yours.  He's a great guy and he'd get a kick out of playing with a strong player like you.

TH
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 12:32:55 PM by Tom Huckaby »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2006, 12:35:16 PM »
Our good friend Neal seems to think it is real as can be seen from the ASGCA profile:

Neal Meagher, ASGCA, Associate Member

4457 Linda Way
Pleasanton, CA  94566
(925) 417-7513
Fax: (925) 417-7514
E-mail: nmgolf@pacbell.net

Education: College: Mississippi State University
Degree: BLA (1984)

Courses: Seven Oaks Country Club - Bakersfield, CA
Woodcreek Golf Club - Roseville, CA
Sterling Hills Golf Club - Camarillo, CA
The Institute - Morgan Hill, CA
Maderas Golf Club - Poway, CA

Remodeled/Renovated Courses:
Richmond Country Club - Richmond, CA (complete reconstruction of all greens and most bunkers)

Glendale Country Club - Bellevue, WA
(renovation of all existing bunkers; new fairway bunker & two new greens)

Rogue Valley Country Club (The Rogue Course) - Medford, OR
(reconstruction of five greens, minor reconstruction of 13 greens, renovation of all bunkers)

Pittsburg's Delta View Golf Course - Pittsburg, CA
(reconstruction of nine greens with bunkers)

Lone Tree Golf Course - Antioch, CA
(reconstruction of five greens with bunkers)

Huck,

While we are almost being as catty as Buroughs saying he does have a 50" HD TV...I will have you note on the above unedited post I said Our friend..

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2006, 12:37:36 PM »
JK - yes you did.  I edited accordingly.  See my revised retort.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2006, 12:41:07 PM »
JK - I think I've seen as much of it as anyone else here!  I drove up and peaked in awhile back.  You can't see much.

But yes, I guess we can add that one. But since it's basically a private course with the private meaning "open only to the friends of one man", I don't count it as real.... much like the county doesn't seem to either.

TH

I just can't get over the arrogance of the above statement...hmmm..What do you mean the country doesn't seem to think it is real either..

John,

Huck said county, not country.  Apparently the county doesn't acknowledge that the course exists.

Why is it catty (according to Webster, meaning 'malicious') to set someone straight who says I don't have an HDTV when I do?  By that defintion, isn't that one of your big MO's 'round here?

Tom Doak,

What about your co-design buddy's Dismal River?  It's open for play now.  Or have you seen it already?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 12:43:51 PM by Scott_Burroughs »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2006, 12:46:15 PM »

Why is it catty to set someone straight who says I don't have an HDTV when I do?

It was catty...I promise.  I love catty moments on GCA and wish someone would start a thread on the most famous ones...but I have already started my one thread of the day.  

Tim Pitner

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2006, 12:47:00 PM »
Tim I would love to get back to the original question.

Just remember JK asked for courses "outside the obvious".  Those three would probably be classified as such.  I don't mean that as any offense... only I - and I think JK - would be more interested in what LOCALLY or not famous you want to play but haven't.  Any Colorado courses left for you?  Have you played Cherry Hills or Denver CC and if not do you have a strong desire to?

Tom,

I admit to missing the "other than the obvious" caveat.  

Locally, I haven't played Cherry Hills or Denver CC and I certainly would like to.  In addition, I'd love to play the C&C course, Colorado Golf Club, when it's finished.  But, I wouldn't say I need to see them.  

In the U.S., the public or otherwise reasonably accessible courses I'd like to play are Pasatiempo, Kingsley Club, Black Mesa and Wild Horse.  Again, I'm not sure any of these qualify as "need to play."  

For some reason, I have a very strong desire to play Baltray in Ireland.  No one raves about it particularly, but it looks like a very enjoyable course to play and one that wouldn't be overrun by Americanos.  Since I do need to go back to Dublin, I suppose I need to play Baltray.  

I'll add West Sussex as a "need to play" for reasons similar to the ones I gave for Baltray.  

So, there you go, Baltray and West Sussex.

Eric Franzen

« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2006, 12:48:58 PM »
Hmmm... Shadow Creek, maybe.

I haven't played any Fazio yet and don't play that kind of courses too often when travelling - so why not aim for one of the best?

Jordan Wall

« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2006, 12:49:18 PM »
Fisher's Island and Sand Hills.

Plus Cypress, Seminole, and NGLA.
Other ones too but those are the big ones for me.

Now, outside the obvious...
Nanea
Barnbougle
Hidden Creek
Monterey Peninsula CC
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 12:50:30 PM by Jordan Wall »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2006, 12:49:51 PM »
Scott - good catch, and thanks.  Of course I never meant that the COUNTRY doesn't think it exists... my point there was that the COUNTY has had a long-running very interesting debate with Mr. Fry over use permits, taxation, etc.  I know zero details... only it's a common tale told around here that when asked about the golf course, the take from Fry was "what golf course?  That's my back yard."  Which apparently to some extent the county went along with... at least at some point....

TH
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 12:51:05 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2006, 12:51:18 PM »

Why is it catty to set someone straight who says I don't have an HDTV when I do?

It was catty...I promise.  I love catty moments on GCA and wish someone would start a thread on the most famous ones...but I have already started my one thread of the day.  

Well, you would know best.  You're the King Cat.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2006, 12:52:53 PM »
Tim - very cool.  I have friends who live near Denver and I'm always curious how courses around there are perceived.  They don't tend to look at Cherry Hills as any big deal... I know I do, hell US Open courses are always gonna be must-plays by me.

Baltray does look exceedingly cool as well.  Man I'm gonna add that to my list.  Good call.

TH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back