News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Hancock

Re:The Shirt Scale to rating courses...
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2006, 04:59:43 PM »
 At what point do you go from a fond memory that you would like to share to being an a__hole for bragging about the courses you've played?

The point would be the entrance to the 300 sq. ft. walk-in closet.

Also, I'd like to add the "golf glove with the logo'd ball mark snap on thingamajiggy on it" to your list of other stuff. ;D

I hope no one is offended by my smart ass reaction to this thread....just having (making?) fun....

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2006, 05:01:29 PM »
The question is what is the proper number of logos to wear at any given time.  At what point do you go from a fond memory that you would like to share to being an a__hole for bragging about the courses you've played? I have kept it to a hat and a shirt but I've seen some with hat, shirt, windbreaker, towel and bag from different courses where one is not a member.

I don't associate the wearing of logos with being a jerk. I think it lets you know that you are playing with someone who loves the game and who gets it. Better this than playing with some guy that has on a Titleist hat and cutter&buck socks.

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2006, 05:02:13 PM »
 At what point do you go from a fond memory that you would like to share to being an a__hole for bragging about the courses you've played?

Also, I'd like to add the "golf glove with the logo'd ball mark snap on thingamajiggy on it" to your list of other stuff. ;D

I hope no one is offended by my smart ass reaction to this thread....just having (making?) fun....

Joe

With the remote control dry cleaner automated hanger machine whizzing the shirts around...

Joe Hancock

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2006, 05:04:58 PM »

Joe

With the remote control dry cleaner automated hanger machine whizzing the shirts around...

Sorted by logo,apparently.....
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2006, 05:09:18 PM »
Shivas - good point re Merion.  In a GCA crowd that might even revert to 2-shirt status.  But out in the real world, it is definitely 3-shirt.  I could most definitely wear it around Santa Teresa and not have a single person have the faintest clue what it is.

The same logic goes for Sand Hills.  In a GCA crowd, that too has almost become trite as so many will have already been there.  Let's just say you're impressing no one with that logo.  I just continue to wear mine because I believe it's a 4-shirter without a doubt.  No way it's a 5-shirter as the course has existed for 10 years now.

Re Bandon, good point - for East coasters that gets 4 shirts.  But out here it is 2 at most, maybe even one.  Damn near everyone I know has been there, mainly because I took them all...  ;)

TH

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2006, 05:21:15 PM »
Fantastic.  3-shirter without a doubt.  In fact if you hadn't mentioned Vineyard Vines and thereby allowed the search, I would have likely never figured that one out.

I'm one who believes the tougher a logo is to figure out, the cooler it is... so long as it does have some connection to the reality of the golf course.

As this one surely does.

TH

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2006, 05:26:30 PM »
I have a great "Usinger's Sausage" hat that I wear anytime I play north of Kenosha.  It gets TONS of oohs and aaahs.   ;D

Now that brings up an entirely different vein here... great logoes to wear playing golf that have nothing to do with any golf course.

I must say I proudly wear the following quite often, in fact at GCA gatherings:

1.  SCU hat - gotta support the alma mater
2. Belhaven's Best hat - sent by Martin Bonnar - a very proud possession.  Benham has a great pic of me, him, Pieracci all sporting these.
3.  NCGA logoed shirts, hats.  I am proud to be a part of the organization.
4.  LA Dodger hat - in the right crowd - usually a foursome of me and three Giant fans.

Best I've seen though is Mr. Huntley wearing a John Deere hat.  There's something so inherently wrong about that, it's oh so right.

TH

Joe Hancock

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2006, 05:28:43 PM »
I have a great "Usinger's Sausage" hat that I wear anytime I play north of Kenosha.  It gets TONS of oohs and aaahs.   ;D

Now that brings up an entirely different vein here...

I would NOT have said that if I were you...... :o

Joe

p.s. Did anyone really think this thread wouldn't deteriorate quickly? ;)

PThomas

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2006, 05:30:25 PM »
I played golf with a guy who had a hat from the only golf course IN ISRAEL...that would be a cool one to have!

199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2006, 05:30:34 PM »
Joe - that was an legendarily poor choice of words.

But great catch.

;D ;D

Anthony Butler

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2006, 06:01:24 PM »
For me- courses I have shopped at.

Muirfield-4

They have logoed shirts at Muirfield???

I thought they don't - I got mine at the Gullane pro shop... :o

Don't think they do, They do sell items titled "The Royal Edinburgh Society of Golfers" or something... I have a windvest with this on it. I was going to get one with sleeves, but my scottish host called me a 'nancy' boy, so ditched the sleeves and shivered my way around.

P.S. A side thread... coolest golf club logos.

1) Winged Foot-Didn't get all 'creative' with the NYAC identity
2) Salem Country Club-The witch on the broom–just nuts... love it.
3) Congressional-For Democrats & Republicans
4) Shinnecock-I'm sure they had it before the Chicago Blackhawks.
5) Olympic-You're a member of a very upmarket bike gang.
6) Royal and Ancient-Much cooler than all the Old Course stuff.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 06:13:51 PM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2006, 06:17:02 PM »
JWK

You’ve struck a subject close to the golfer’s heart – his appearance !
 In Scotland wearing logo shirts doesn’t really mean anything - because we wear a sweater over the top anyway !

However I do possess a very distinguished collection of umbrellas – which are particularly useful while waiting for a bus in Edinburgh – and can instigate conversations with complete strangers.

Getting Rain Jackets with Logos from the previous « Open » is always a popular one and an « Old Course » Head Cover looks good when playing outside of Scotland but looks a bit naff in Scotland.

JC-S

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2006, 06:19:08 PM »
Anthony - you hit on the coolest logo of them all... one Mr. Huntley trots out on those rare occassions he cares to impress, or hasn't done his laundry, or whatever...

The R&A logo on something one can wear (ie shirt, sweater).

Because as you likely know, one must be a member to obtain such.

;D

Anthony Butler

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2006, 06:21:39 PM »
Jerry, that's a good question.  Ben Hogan would say zero!

Speaking of the bag-connected logos, I have a question: does anyone reserve "4-shirt" status for the bag tag?

I so fell in love with New South Wales, that I actually removed my home-course bag tag and replaced it with an NSW tag. I found this a much higher honorific than a simple shirt.

If you're talking about the member's tags issued a few years ago, I hear you. Nice reproduction by a friend of mine. But you'll have to mail it back. ;)

Tell you the truth, our logo is a little busy, but unless the entire state overhauls their identity, it ain't changing...
Next!

peter_p

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2006, 06:28:45 PM »
Three shirts (to the wind). Would you recognize the logo when you are...
    My closet is full enough that I am defacto ranking courses by my discard  decisions to make room for more purchases. Will Woking finally go? It may with the purchase of two logofree long sleeve sun resistant ones.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2006, 06:34:08 PM »
Anthony - you hit on the coolest logo of them all... one Mr. Huntley trots out on those rare occassions he cares to impress, or hasn't done his laundry, or whatever...

The R&A logo on something one can wear (ie shirt, sweater).

Because as you likely know, one must be a member to obtain such.

;D

The tie is best and toughest R&A logoed item to get. One of the guys at NSWGC who's in the Lucifer Society managed to con an R&A member into exchanging ties after a bottle of port one night. He would only admit it wasn't Prince Andrew.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 08:32:02 PM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2006, 08:27:59 PM »

Muirfield-4

Don't think they do, They do sell items titled "The Royal Edinburgh Society of Golfers" or something... I have a windvest with this on it. I was going to get one with sleeves, but my scottish host called me a 'nancy' boy, so ditched the sleeves and shivered my way around.

....snip...

Too bad I missed a clothing item with HCEG on it when I played the course. Darn. I collect these things. So much so, that my good wife, aware of this hobby, asked some poor R&A member at the entrance to the clubhouse if logo shirts were available for sale.

She was politely and bemusedly informed that items with the R&A logo are for the R&A members only.

I agree with the coolness factor - Royal and Ancient sounds cool and sounds like it means business.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2006, 08:43:06 PM »

Muirfield-4

....snip...

Too bad I missed a clothing item with HCEG on it when I played the course. Darn. I collect these things. So much so, that my good wife, aware of this hobby, asked some poor R&A member at the entrance to the clubhouse if logo shirts were available for sale.

She was politely and bemusedly informed that items with the R&A logo are for the R&A members only.

I agree with the coolness factor - Royal and Ancient sounds cool and sounds like it means business.

RIGHT... HONORABLE COMPANY OF EDINBURGH GOLFERS. They were still killing things with "Royal" attached to their names in Scotland back then.
Next!

John Foley

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2006, 09:06:23 PM »
Shivas - Today you can buy a hat on Erin Hills web site so I think the 5 star will be a no.

I recall hearing that Shinnecock replaced it's Indian head logo, but I never saw what it became.

One of the best is Seminole's. First time I saw it I couldn't for the life of me figure it out.

What about Porcupine Creek, now there has got to be a rare one!
Integrity in the moment of choice

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2006, 09:32:53 PM »
Why is nobody else rating courses? I feel like an idiot.

Anthony Butler

Every darn logo
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2006, 09:41:21 PM »
Shivas - Today you can buy a hat on Erin Hills web site so I think the 5 star will be a no.

I recall hearing that Shinnecock replaced it's Indian head logo, but I never saw what it became.

One of the best is Seminole's. First time I saw it I couldn't for the life of me figure it out.

What about Porcupine Creek, now there has got to be a rare one!

Logo balls from every top 100 US and 100 World course:

http://www.smarterproducts.com/WorldTop1002001.htm

Check out the Garden City ball. I think the pro shop sold this guy a Haskell...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 09:56:33 PM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2006, 10:01:38 PM »
Tiger Bernhardt is the real pro.  He must weigh in here for this to have any merit.   ;D

Dan,

Your not exactly on the "B" team here.

Doug B recognized me today at Winged Foot. Not sure if it was my face, height or the Sand Hills logo that caught his eye.

scott_wood

« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2006, 11:36:58 PM »
Mike, Dan is no lightweight....
but Tiger even has logoed socks!!!

He lays them off as "my daughters" but he isin't kiddin' me :)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2006, 11:53:41 PM »
My favorite course?  Two shirts and one sweater-vest with North Berwick logo!  Maybe quantity in the closet is the system.

Another thing I love is ball markers from great courses visited.  It gives me a warm feeling to dig down in the pocket and come up with a Royal Porthcawl or Crail marker.

Sean_A

« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2006, 03:44:54 AM »
Bill

If the logo is cool and the marker/pitch repair tool is functional (a rarity for both these days) I like to buy them because they are cheap.  Otherwise, I try to avoid golf logos unless I need something.  On the other hand, I try to support club pros when I do need something because I think loads of them are great guys.  

Ciao

Sean
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 03:46:36 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back