News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Jon Wiggett

Re:biggest sleeper you've ever played?
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2006, 01:00:24 AM »
Kilspindie

Michael Robin

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2006, 02:37:54 AM »
At the time, it was Stonewall(Old).

ForkaB

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2006, 02:41:19 AM »
Winchester

Played it 2 years ago after a 30 year hiatus.  I knew it was good, but was blown away as to how good.  And on a not so easily built on property.  Best DJR I have ever played, and I've played #2.

James Bennett

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2006, 02:57:50 AM »
These two are probably in the Rip Van Winkle category for 'sleepers', but they both exceeded my expectations when I visited them on consecutive days.  I expected them to be good, but not this good:

Rolling Green
Plainfield

One of the aspects that impressed me was the severity of slope that Flynn and Ross dealt with in such a memorable manner on each course.  As far as 'sleeper', well both are top 100 classic courses in the US hence my Rip Van Winkle moniker.  But for GCA.com, I would have never have heard of let alone seen these two fine courses.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Thomas_Brown

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2006, 03:26:07 AM »
Bethpage Black

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2006, 03:36:41 AM »
A couple of years ago, playing alone on a cold wet fall evening at one of our local municipal courses, I was caught by another single.  We joined up.  Turned out he was from Ireland, working on contract for the local electricity company.  In talking our way in we discussed his home club - Ardglass.

Fast forward a couple of years, and we're on a cruise around GB and Ireland.  The golf coordinator breaks a leg and misses the ship.  The concierge knows nothing about golf but is designated to help us make do.  In Belfast we were supposed to go to Royal County Down.  She calls ahead.  It's for a Wednesday.  Ladies day.  No go.  

I remember Ardglass, look it up on the Internet, and ask the concierge to book us there.  We grab a taxi from Belfast (for a lot of pounds).  The taxi gets lost and takes the long way around, but is good enough to not over-charge us, and agrees to come back and pick us up.

Ardglass turns out to be a gorgeous course on cliffs overlooking the sea, with two stunning opening holes.  The people were very friendly.  It wasn't RCD, but it was a real gem of a find on the spur of the moment, and after a lot of frustration.  Well worth a return visit if we're ever in Northern Ireland again.

TEPaul

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2006, 06:15:29 AM »
There's no question at all in my mind---none.

It's Fernandina Beach Municipal G.C.

I would say it's pretty much fast asleep and probably always has been. I hope it never wakes up.  ;)

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2006, 06:34:35 AM »
County Sligo

Tom Roewer

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2006, 06:37:55 AM »
Crail - We couldn't get on TOC, traded up.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2006, 08:13:32 AM »
New Zealand - it keeps a very low profile and, therefore doesn't get into the course guides and coffee table books, but it is a cracker.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2006, 08:23:35 AM »
Arrowhead Pt. in Georgia.  A state park course on Lake Russell, played it just to see it, and was absolutely blown away.  It is every bit as good as the Lake Oconee courses;  Arrowhead was later picked as the #2 "Best New Affordable" for last year.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

mike_malone

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2006, 08:28:15 AM »
 I agree with "Ardglass". When we were playing RCD for the first time and wanted to play another round locally we set up Ardglass. When we told our caddies where we were going that afternoon they laughed and said "You don't want to go to that place!". We loved it!

Locally, I find Centerton has exceeeded my expectations by the widest margin.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 08:34:19 AM by mayday_malone »
AKA Mayday

Bill Brightly

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2006, 08:47:30 AM »
Misquamicut Club in Rhode Island!!!

Years ago I was setting up a golf reunion for 7 other college buddies. I had us on the Hartford TPC and was looking for other courses. A guy in our group who barely played said his family has a house membership at Misquamicut, and added "it's not that great of a course..." and got us on. I had never heard of it, and took a chance...

Well, we  played it, and it turned out to be a Donald Ross gem right on the Ocean! We canceled our next days tee times and played 36. (It was early in the season, they did not mind.) Awesome!

Gene Greco

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2006, 09:12:37 AM »
I'd like to add Fenway to my list.

May I, Geoff?
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2006, 09:30:02 AM »
I'd like to add Fenway to my list.

First course that came to my mind.  Couldn't get it out of my head for days.

Gotta also put in my usual plug for Deerfield in DE (fka Louviers Course @ Dupont CC).

Might have to mention Tobacco Road, too.  Played it not long after it opened (not much hype yet), and it blew me away.

Jeff_Stettner

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2006, 09:34:47 AM »
Ol' Colony
Longniddry (thanks for the reminder)
Dalhousie

Mike Hendren

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2006, 10:00:43 AM »
Re Fenway, I've not had the pleasure but this photo from Ran's profile is among my favorites:

Too cool for school. 8)

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2006, 10:32:56 AM »
Of the 7 times I've played Oak Creek, I've actually fallen asleep there, and this is no fooling, 5 times. Yes, I know I'm thread-jacking here, but I just can't help it. The course is that boring but features the best Fazio routing of all-time.

Now to get back on track, the REAL biggest sleeper I've ever played without doubt would be Plainfield CC. I've never dreamed a course could be that good. And we're talking even the holes that we're screwed-up by RTJ.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2006, 10:33:51 AM »

Ardglass?? Are sure you are not recalling a new-fangled state of the art shaft you had been introduced to??

Always happy to help you with subjects for your insightful posts.

Perhaps you should get out more and see some golf course architecture, such as the following, to be the subject of your posts.

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2006, 10:39:35 AM »
My dad and I just played a little course called McPherson Country Club in McPherson, KS over the weekend.

9-holes laid out by Perry Maxwell, but as sand greens. The grass greens were added in the late 40's according to Ron Whitten research.

It's the best 9-hole I've ever played. It has two sets of tees, for a complete "18-hole" course and is par-69. What fun. Great greens. Wonderful lay of the land architecture. Just a joy to be playing at 5:00 in the afternoon with six other people on the course. I could play it everyday of the week.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2006, 11:33:24 AM »
First, how is Bethpage Black a sleeper? Rip Van Winkle maybe?

Second, this may not be a sleeper to some, but since I had never been to Scotland and all I know is TOC, Turnberry Troon, etc... I thought Western Gailes was off the charts good. Most of you guys probably knew of it, but I had never heard of it before I got there and now can't wait to go back.

Third, I agree with Shivas in that I NEVER expected NGLA to be as good as it was. I kept hearing it was great, but I didn't expect that quality. Awesome place.
Mr Hurricane

John Nixon

« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2006, 12:16:42 PM »
Majestic Springs, just west of Wilmington, OH. Played it this spring with an old school friend on a visit to my hometown of Lebanon. I was anticipating short-mown cow pasture fairways, but found a very nicely designed 18 holes. Good elevation changes, short and long par 4s, and a very customer-friendly staff. Seemingly placed in the middle of nowhere along Todd's Fork, if development from Cincinnati continues its inexorable spread it could become a very busy place.

http://www.majesticsprings.com/course.html

Martin Gott

« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2006, 12:19:15 PM »
Burning Tree Club

Sean Leary

« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2006, 12:33:09 PM »
Pasatiempo. Obviously well known here but the first time I played it about 10 years ago, I didn't know about it, and was blown away.  Started my interest in GCA..

Gene Greco

« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2006, 01:02:59 PM »
First, how is Bethpage Black a sleeper? Rip Van Winkle maybe?

Believe it or not many people out here on Eastern Long Island had never heard of BB and only a smattering had played it pre US Open.

I would have to beg groups to go play it with me.

Now, none of us can get on. :'(
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back