News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Craig_Rokke

Re:Alex Findlay, Reading Country Club
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2006, 09:19:23 PM »
Byron Nelson was the pro at Reading from 1937-1939.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 09:24:12 PM by Craig_Rokke »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2006, 11:22:52 PM »
I played Reading again today and it's the sort of weirdly quirky course where you notice little things each time.  

Today, for instance, it occurred to me that both the 17th and 18 holes feature blind drives.  I truly can't think of another course where that's the case.

It shouldn't be that surprising since they follow the 310 yard 16th, which is a hole that would never be built today given the fact that it is completely and severely uphill, narrows to probably 20 yards between tall trees and woods left at about 260 and features a skyline green that's a corker.

It's sort of humorous to contemplate that fact that it's now a public course.  I'm just imagining a typical modern golfer playing holes like these, or especially the totally blind "Alps" 11th, and thinking, "man, this course stinks...what's with all of this unfair crap?"

Which, of course, makes me love it all the more.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2006, 11:43:55 PM »
Mike, a question.

Do you prefer Jeffersonville or Reading CC?

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2006, 11:52:36 PM »
Mike, a question.

Do you prefer Jeffersonville or Reading CC?

Really good question, Jordan..

I have to say that overall Jeffersonville is the more solid and varied course, particularly after the splendid job Ron Prichard did to bring Donald Ross's features there back to life and full playability.  Also, the greensites at Jeffersonville have a degree of sophistication that stands out even over the fun, sloping greens of Reading.

If I had to describe it accurately (which late at night I'm sometimes unable to do well ;) ), I'd say that probably Reading has about 5 holes that are better, cooler, more original and quirkier than anything at Jeff, but Jeff is solid throughout, and lacks some of the tree issues and green shrinkage that prevents Reading from being as good as it could be.

Both are worth a visit, and if I were to give them Doak Scale numbers, both courses are probably around a 5, although for vastly different reasons.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2006, 11:57:10 PM »
Thanks for that Mike.  Both courses definitely sound really cool.

I appreciate the descriptions.
 :)

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2006, 12:18:30 AM »
Jordan,

Golfwriter and course reviewer Joe Logan of the Philadelphia Inquirer, who I agree with as often as I don't, wrote the following.  He obviously has been lurking around GCA too much recently.  ;)

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/14628731.htm

Cory Lewis

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2006, 05:58:23 PM »
After playing Reading for the first time yesterday with Mike and Kyle, I have to say I was impressed by the design, the course has a lot of character and the stretch of holes from 11-16 is great.  16 is a superb hole, as Mike said, you would never see that hole built now, but what a strategic hole!  Short, uphill, tree lined, great green, I wish more architects had the courage to build holes like that, they are sure to produce discussion after the round, which is really what you want from a hole anyway.  
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Kyle Harris

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2006, 06:01:34 PM »
Perhaps not really thought of on 16 is the cross grass bunker about 40 yards from the green.

Any shot left is hampered by a mature shagbark hickory and requires a running, low, hooking shot (which Mike pulled off superbly... he hit a 120 yard hooking 3 iron to within 2 feet).

However, the shot must carry this grassy rough area to the landing ramp before the green.

Interestingly, the area all but blind from the tee - though it would probably be more visible if it were a sand bunker.

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2006, 07:17:27 PM »
I played Reading today, and really enjoyed it. I agree that some of the trees should go, but then again, trees like the one at 16 create interest.

I agree with Mike that the Jeff has a lot of restored charm, and the greensites may be more sophisticated. Findlay's
often were tilted and not particularly undulating. I think that
Reading's site and some of the quirkiness that's there make it
very interesting, though. I'd agree that both are "5's", but I might give a miniscule edge to Reading for me personally if I had had to choose one to play often.

Reading also has the distinction of having 3 par 3's on the front nine. I also think it plays longer than its yardage. Some of the par 3's are pretty stout, and some of the short par 4's are better with the driver kept in the bag.

What did you guys think of the clubhouse? Pretty interesting.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 08:11:00 PM by Craig_Rokke »

Kyle Harris

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2006, 07:19:49 PM »
Craig,

Now imagine the left side of the 16th hole with only that tree in play.

I love the clubhouse... especially wandering around inside. I believe my next round shall be accompanied by dinner.

You're more than welcome to join.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back