News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Jefferson

Re:Best Locker Room
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2006, 09:20:44 PM »
Wayne.........is there an alcove for the choir???????

Tom
the pres

james soper

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2006, 09:20:56 PM »
seminole
indian creek
adios
old memorial
wade hampton

Cory Lewis

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2006, 09:28:14 PM »
Diamond Creek in the mountains in NC.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Evan_Green

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2006, 09:43:47 PM »
For a "public" locker room, Sea Island is the nicest I have seen -although its not the most "public" public access course out there given you have to stay at the resort to play.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2006, 10:03:01 PM »
I will toss one in from the south. Champions is pretty good. I like Seminole best in US of those I have seen. Western Gailles in Scotland is none to shabby.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2006, 10:04:59 PM »
I'll second Sea Island for a resort locker room. Best resort lodge in America.

Gerry B

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2006, 10:13:27 PM »
my list would include:

seminole - all world and a bartender
indian creek - seminole light
champions - great vibe and a bartender
merion - the showers
chicago golf club - old school at its best - would not change a thing
atlantic city - old classic stanford white design
capital club in melbourne - the shadow creek of down under

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2006, 10:14:58 PM »
I can't say what the best one was, although I like Merion's.
To me, the best ones often have higher ceilings that have an open-beamed or vaulted look, giving kind of a spacious, comfortable appeal to the locker room.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 10:15:31 PM by Craig_Rokke »

Patrick_Mucci_Jr

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2006, 10:42:52 PM »
Wayne Morrison,

Is that an Addison Mizner design ?

Adam_Messix

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2006, 10:54:20 PM »
Pat--

Maurice Fatio designed the clubhouse at Indian Creek.  He was the architect for many mansions in South Florida.  

rgkeller

« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2006, 11:20:36 PM »
Indian Creek by a long way.

Pete Stankevich

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2006, 11:25:40 PM »
I'll put my vote in for New Haven CC (CT).  Whenever I walk in there, I think "this is a what a great golf club locker room should look like."

Bill Wernecke Jr

« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2006, 11:33:09 PM »
I have not been to Seminole -- sounds unbelievable.

I would vote for Milwaukee CC as the best traditional.  Even better than Pine Valley, Merion, and Aronimink, which are all special.  You have to see the half-timber trusses to believe it.

I would say Muirfield Village is the best of the new.  Fantastic views and lunch venue.

There should be a special category for most unpretentious.  Cypress Point is very good, but my vote would be Piping Rock.

Mark Brown

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2006, 12:41:42 AM »
I thought Seminole was a bit over-rated. Loved the historic atmosphere at San Fran GC, Oakmont. Some of the glitsy new ones are a bit over done. I like the nostalgic, old shoe feel myself - rich in tradition and comfort

Jason Topp

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2006, 02:22:40 AM »
The R&A - the upstairs lockers with a view of the first tee

Terry Buchen

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2006, 05:29:16 AM »
For a newer course, Castle Pines has a great locker room with a large fire place, oversized lockers, the best milk shakes in memory and a bartender (Tom) that can remember your name, what you like to drink and when you last played the course even after only playing the course only once. The ambiance and attention to detail seems like you are in someones living room.

For classic courses, Seminole, Winged Foot, Merion and R & A are great.

Cheers,

Terry

Brad Klein

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2006, 07:12:24 AM »
Terry, I'm surprised they let dirt bag, drooling, dungaree-clad demented greenkeepers like yourself into clubhouses at all. By my count, that is cause for an immediate two-point penalty in the locker room evaluation.

Andy Silis

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2006, 08:28:12 AM »
Of courses I've played that have been built in the last 10 years East Hampton's is far and away the most impressive.

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2006, 08:37:02 AM »
If unpretentious at a top notch club was the criterium, one would be hard pressed to top Camargo- hardly bigger than my living room, half size lockers with plywood doors, a four top table with a bowl of peanuts and a bowl of goldfish crackers.

Also Shinnecock.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2006, 09:05:09 AM »
For sheer interest and size, I'll throw Olympia Fields into the mix...and I also agree with GerryB on CGC (old school, baby!).
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

wsmorrison

« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2006, 09:11:50 AM »
Jim,

Well done.  Shinnecock's clubhouse may be the first, but it remains one of the very best.  No heat, no air conditioning but lots of charm.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2006, 09:41:45 AM »

Southern Hills locker room is pretty sweet and huge.

The locker room at Cypress Point was more my style.

wsmorrison

« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2006, 09:46:06 AM »
For understated in the US, does anything come close to minimalism like Gulph Mills?  No lockers, pegs for coats and a bench to sit on.  It is great, a little like N. Berwick as I recall.

PCCraig

« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2006, 09:50:36 AM »
I'll have to agree with the above poster on the "no heat-no air conditioning" rule. All the best old locker rooms I can remember have always been uncomfortably hot.

There is certainly a bias toward old-money clubs and their locker rooms, what I am more interested in now is novelty items, such as cog hill's pac-man game, that bring a little neat touch to the tradtional locker room.

Thanks for all the great responses.
H.P.S.

Brad Klein

« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2006, 09:54:50 AM »
Fishers Island is very nice along these simple lines - throw your shoes under the chairs in the pro shop and go play golf.

Also love Mountain Lake. Next door is this sumptuous 5-star Colony House retreat with soft pastel colors and fancy dining. But adjoining the first tee is a 20 X 20 golf shop and behind it is a room with benches, some pegs, storage space for old shoes - very stylish leathers from the 1960s it would seem - and one lone attendant, one tiny bathroom. If they ever "upgrade" that place it would be a shame.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 10:10:50 AM by Brad Klein »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back