News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ForkaB

Re:Best Membership Deals
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2006, 01:50:14 PM »
Thanks, John.  Maybe Royal Dornock is in Canada.  Some of those guys seem to always spell it that way...... :)

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2006, 01:55:19 PM »

Us Okies don't cotton to that royalty crap here..... its just Dornick Hills Golf and Country Club.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2006, 02:48:16 PM »
If you allow unaccompanied play you are not private.

John,

Are you saying that Shinnecock, National and Cypress Point are not private?

I guess not...not if on any given day an actual member could be stuck behind or in front of a group consisting fully of non-members.  

Dave_Miller

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2006, 03:15:25 PM »
In memphis if you want to join a club you will be looking at
over $8000 initiave and at least $250 a month for a good private club.  I am just curious as to what are the best deals out there.  When I went to Auburn University I joined the Auburn University Club (Bill Bergin Design) for $250 initiative and $30 a month.  This included tennis and a nice swimming pool.  Not Too Bad!!

$8,000 initiation and $250 a month in dues.  That's a deal.  Try coming to the Boston area. :o
Best
Dave

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2006, 03:15:42 PM »
Mike,

Do the courses you mention have special set aside days or times...How do they keep a corporation from sending out all of their customers.  Can the pro from Pine Valley call up and get his members on these courses at his pleasure...or is it only unaccompanied play with a members blessing.  I can have a little sympathy for a member sponsoring unaccompanied guests but I have never understood this my pro will call your pro thing.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 03:16:34 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2006, 03:54:27 PM »
Don't quote me, but I have been hearing from good sources that Maketewah in Cincinnati is $1000 initiation and 250-300 in dues. The golf course is not fantastic, but it is a quality Donald Ross. There are no great holes, but some good, well, the 9th is a great par 3. It has some quirk, but it is reasonable. It has 4? tennis courts and a pool. It really does seem like a good deal and the conditioning is probably in the 7-8 range with good greens. about 6800 from the back.

Glenn
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 07:26:08 PM by Glenn Spencer »

Dave Bourgeois

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2006, 03:59:54 PM »
Dave Miller,

I feel your pain as I am in the NY metro area.  I would love to find an 8K, 300 a month course around here.  From what I have heard the best we have is a Cornish course called Somers Pointe in northern Westchester Country.  I've heard that it is reasonable for here, but I can't remember hard numbers.

JohnV

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2006, 04:04:15 PM »
There are plenty of very inexpensive deals around Pittsburgh right now.  On our website we list a number of clubs that are looking for members.  Some have very low priced deals.

Right now, most non-first-line clubs will take anyone who walks in for little or no initiation and reduced dues for the first year.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2006, 04:05:58 PM »
Mike,

Your outing is on a Monday isn't it..I wouldn't know being the no account non charitable bastard I am..All the other events you mention are on the golf calandar so hardly count the same as four schmucks that don't feel like playing the local muni when they are in town.  

Pete Buczkowski

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2006, 04:12:03 PM »
The overseas memberships in the UK look amazing.  For instance, Cruden Bay is £254/year with initiation fee of one years' dues (playing rights for 3 weeks/year).  That would be incredible, but I need to find a local club first! :)

David_Tepper

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2006, 04:13:48 PM »
I recall there have been a few posts from our Pensacola correspondents (B. McBride & M. Golden) regarding some VERY attractively-priced situations currently available in that area.  

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2006, 04:15:15 PM »
That would be incredible, but I need to find a local club first! :)

Pete,

It must be tough playing those Fazio, Dye and PGA courses for $25 a pop and taking advantage of "rack rate" customers at Disney like me and JakaB.  ;)

Pete Buczkowski

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2006, 04:20:06 PM »
Mike, they screwed us this year so now we pay $30.  :o  However, they track our play as well so it may be much more costly in the long run.  ;)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2006, 04:21:41 PM »
That would be incredible, but I need to find a local club first! :)

Pete,

It must be tough playing those Fazio, Dye and PGA courses for $25 a pop and taking advantage of "rack rate" customers at Disney like me and JakaB.  ;)

I didn't pay no rack rate....Now I can't remember how much I paid but it wasn't retail.

Pete Buczkowski

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2006, 05:12:01 PM »
It must be becuase he took the first 5 holes of our match until I birdied the 6th to get a halve...and Disney extends our rate to our guests as well.

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2006, 07:04:21 PM »
I agree that $8,000 initiation and $250/month is a pretty good deal for a good golf course/club...

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2006, 08:46:08 PM »
I understand that with regard to some of the very best courses it is not the initiation fee nor the annual dues which are the issue; it is the ability to be accepted for membership which is the biggest obstacle.

I believe that Dan Hermann said that the intiation fee and dues at French Creek are quite reasonable considering the quality of the course.  

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2006, 06:22:35 AM »
Royal Dornock is in Northern Scotland
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2006, 06:55:54 AM »
Royal Dornock is in Northern Scotland

Cary,

FYI, Rich Goodale was pulling our collective American chains. It is Royal Dornoch with an "h" at the end, and Rich is a member of Royal Dornoch and has written a wonderful book, a sort of super duper technology Ran-like review called "Experience Royal Dornoch."
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 06:56:39 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2006, 07:51:50 AM »
The overseas memberships in the UK look amazing.  For instance, Cruden Bay is £254/year with initiation fee of one years' dues (playing rights for 3 weeks/year).  That would be incredible, but I need to find a local club first! :)

Pete:

If you haven't already, check out Sugarloaf Mountain, a C&C coming soon west of Orlando.  

Jason

John_Cullum

« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2006, 08:01:14 AM »
Jason

I have been unable to get any meaningful information about the status of the Sugarloaf project (which I hope they rename before going much further). What do you know? Have they broken ground yet?
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2006, 08:19:27 AM »
All I've heard about Sugarloaf is that the course was routed and they are rolling out some of the real estate this Spring/Summer.  I have no info. on the course construction.

John_Cullum

« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2006, 10:39:51 AM »
I checked out the Sugarloaf website a few weeks ago, and I put myself on the mailing list. The brochure I received barely mentioned Sugarloaf, it mainly gave an overview of the other projects the Sugarloaf developer has going. They are holding whatever info there is pretty close to the vest at this time.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2006, 09:31:50 PM »
John:

All I know is that if I invested the money I spent on my house at Cuscowilla, in prime Cuscowilla lots when they were first offered in 95 or so, I'd be retired (or close) at the ripe old age of 33.  Of course I would have had to have the coin at 23 but whose counting anyway?   ;D

Jason

Jim Nugent

« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2006, 02:45:00 AM »
A similar thread ran here a few months ago.  While not directly aimed at your question, lots of great deals were brought up.

Here it is:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=19570;start=0

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back